Singapore Expats

Bringind adult content DVDs to Singapore(private viewing)

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration

Bringind adult content DVDs to Singapore(private viewing)

Post by Guest » Tue, 10 May 2005 4:23 pm

Is there anyone from the Singapore Government who can clarify what is 'undesirable publication' with regards to adult DVDs? What is acceptable in Singapore and what not? Some adult DVDs are quite acceptable in Europe and the US but may be illegal in Singapore. Can anyone be specific? Don't want to fall foul of the law in Singapore

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Bringind adult content DVDs to Singapore(private viewing

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 May 2005 4:43 pm

Anonymous wrote:Is there anyone from the Singapore Government who can clarify what is 'undesirable publication' with regards to adult DVDs? What is acceptable in Singapore and what not? Some adult DVDs are quite acceptable in Europe and the US but may be illegal in Singapore. Can anyone be specific? Don't want to fall foul of the law in Singapore
I came across VCD/DVDs in Malaysia, with their original labels, which are still not available here. Is it an offence to buy VCD/DVDs released in other countries and brought into Singapore?
Videos sold outside Singapore are considered to be uncensored when brought into Singapore. The MDA works closely with the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority to check on travellers who bring in uncensored and obscene videos at the checkpoints. At the same time, the MDA takes a balanced approach when travellers bring in items bought outside Singapore for personal consumption. These items include VCDs and DVDs.

Some of the VCD/DVDs brought in may be from the exempted categories which do not require classification. All videos brought into Singapore should be declared and submitted to the Board of Film Censors (part of the MDA) for classification. The Board classifies videos under the Films Act based on the content and does not determine their origin, i.e. whether the videos are pirated. Pirated videos are illegal under the Copyright Act.

http://www.mda.gov.sg/wms.www/1001qns.a ... 7&qid=1134

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Obscene DVDs

Post by Guest » Tue, 10 May 2005 4:50 pm

The term obscene is different in every country. What is obscene in Singapore may not be obscene in Europe or US for example. Are there clear guidelines? I am quite happy to destroy DVDs that may be classed as obscene in Singapore

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 May 2005 7:20 pm

I think you'll find as a general guideline if there is any full frontal nudity (male or female) or any Hardcore it will not be acceptable. US "r" rated will usually be the equivalent of "Restricted" here while X rated is not allowed at all. If anybody else out there has any better info please response to OP as I can't be positive on the above.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post by Guest » Wed, 11 May 2005 12:06 pm

Thanks, I guess my DVDs have to be destroyed... don't want to fall foul of any Singapore laws

By the way, Singapore has achieved a lot because of its strict laws. From all the places I have lived and worked in Singapore is the place I feel most safe and comfortable in. Other countries can learn a lot from Singapore