Singapore Expats Forum

What so-called chemistry

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

What so-called chemistry

Postby Kimi » Sun, 08 May 2005 10:57 pm

What is it actually?
Cause it seems that you can have this "chemistry" even on the first time you meet somebody.
If what-so-called "love at first sight" is just an infatuation which is this chemistry thing, why would people be so skeptical about it, when actually heaps would pursue to go further once they feel the chemistry whereas most wouldn't pursue if there is no chemistry at the beginning?
Can this "chemistry" thingy is more on first impression? The traits of the other person's which you notice from the way they talk, walk, behave, etc. which you fancy?

Re: What so-called chemistry

Postby Guest » Mon, 09 May 2005 1:29 am

Kimi wrote:What is it actually?
Cause it seems that you can have this "chemistry" even on the first time you meet somebody.
If what-so-called "love at first sight" is just an infatuation which is this chemistry thing, why would people be so skeptical about it, when actually heaps would pursue to go further once they feel the chemistry whereas most wouldn't pursue if there is no chemistry at the beginning?
Can this "chemistry" thingy is more on first impression? The traits of the other person's which you notice from the way they talk, walk, behave, etc. which you fancy?

love is blind! simple and true, another definition would be to say love is an illusion. get real kimi, where do you come from?

agreed arrange marriages in many cultures do work out, many forced marriages do not.

But if you look at Europe, the divorce rates are climbing high, Denmark have almost given up on marriages and relatonships, with 3 out of 4 failing after 3 years. It's like playing russian roulette, so why bring it up?

Maybe your feeling so lonely in Singapore eh? love yourself, and have sex when you feel like it, no committment, no problem.

After the chemistry wears off, all you are left with are headaches, financial worries, and period pains. what's the point!

what you need is a good old chit chat

Physics+chemistry

Postby Physics+chemistry » Mon, 09 May 2005 4:38 am

What an insight :!: Kimi has been watching too many Bollywood movies and is trying desperately to find someone to play a lead role with :lol:

Calm down,or you will be hurt just like everyone else in this world :!: Bollywood does not portray love in a realistic way, so, don't go about looking for love in a Bollywood way :D

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Mon, 09 May 2005 5:03 am

My penneth worth!....Chemistry = 'Whoa, yes please!'........simple and true....it's sex appeal and you just don't have to ask if you've known it.

It can strike at the most inappropriate moments with the strangest of people that you wouldn't have dreamed would have appealed.

It's the cause of the worse and the best heartaches and the reason people go off the rails, run away, lie, cheat and steal and even murder....

My advice........either join a nunnery or join in the fun!!

bubbs

Postby bubbs » Mon, 09 May 2005 5:05 am

All you politically correct people......NO....NOT SAYING MURDER IS FUN....DOH!!!

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Tue, 10 May 2005 11:11 pm

Last edited by Kimi on Sun, 03 Jul 2005 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 11 May 2005 4:22 am

Hi Kimi
Bubbs here
Thought you'd like to see the quote which I think sums up your situation exactly.........

The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

By the way, this is a good site for all those quotes you can't remember the author of......

http://www.1-love-quotes.com/45778.htm

crabathor

Postby crabathor » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:07 pm

as long you are triggered by that first signal you cought..
( not the flu i hope)

you stay under the spell..
if the Chemical basis fades..
your interest fades also..
if you didn't build a "boot-strap to love"
there will be no operating system active..
(strange parallel.. but true..)

jag78
Regular
Regular

Postby jag78 » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:03 pm

Hi Kimi,

I think even between friends, chemistry is really important. You know that feeling when you seem to just 'click' with that person? Bubbs is right about it happening at the oddest times with the people you'd least expect to find it with...can't force it...either it's there or not. All I can say is-go with the flow! :mrgreen:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:30 pm

for what it's worth, this is the analogy from 'real' chemistry - two chemicals which react upon combination so both are transformed. some reactions are quick, others happen slowly but it happens.

so chemistry between people doesn't have to be "love at first sight". many happily married couples started off hating each other's guts. but love grew.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:42 pm

Actually, it's all in the Pheromones.

:cool:

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 1:47 pm

Kimi,

It sounds like you would REALLY enjoy the book BLINK - THE POWER OF THINKING WITHOUT THINKING by Malcolm Gladwell. As the title suggests - it is all about the power and validity of our instinctive responses based on first and sometimes instantaneous reactions.

There is one section where they ask people to describe the perfect mate - and then track the people in speed dating experiments only to find that they are often attracted to people quite different then their stated ideas. It seems that our subconscious has its OWN say in what we really desire.

Not only DO I beleive in love at first sight - but i think it is nature's way of helping us out. ...and in case you are wondering - i did fall in love with my wife at first sight - and so far lived happily ever after.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 3:48 pm

Wham wrote:Not only DO I beleive in love at first sight - but i think it is nature's way of helping us out. ...and in case you are wondering - i did fall in love with my wife at first sight - and so far lived happily ever after.

As SMS said, it's more likely love-at-first smell... Odd creatures we humans.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 4:57 pm

In which case I smelled Mrs. 'Cluse from quite a distance (nice smell, of course)
Was on a biz trip in Auckland, met her on the first day as their VP Marketing/Legal - got married and were off to Samoa within six weeks . . .

Smell, schmell - it's all in the ankles!

:wink:

'nuff said Image

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 5:00 pm

are you sure that she wasn't just trying to get off that little island they call NZ?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson