Singapore Expats Forum

SIM

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

SIM

Postby Guest » Wed, 04 May 2005 6:49 pm

Hi,

I'm considering Bs.(Hon) in Banking & Finance from UOL offered by SIM. Is it a good degree? Any comments?

Postby Guest » Fri, 06 May 2005 4:57 pm

why do You want to study for this course?

What is your career goals? They have mostly financial consultant job now , the so called insurance agents.

what is your age now. what work experience?? 5 year goal after you study??

have you done any research

jaymee

Postby jaymee » Sat, 07 May 2005 8:05 pm

hi, i am a SIM undergraduate doing the UOL programme as well... u can be assured that the teachers are well qualified and the school facilities more than adequate... so dun worry and go for it! however, the course may not be as easy as expected so be prepared to work very hard.... i was from ngee ann poly and never had any probs with my academic work... so u can imagine the shock i got in SIM... good luck to u :)

Postby Guest » Sun, 08 May 2005 9:32 pm

Hi,

Thxs for ur reply. I choose Banking & Finance because of three main reasons.

1) I had a dip in banking n finance from BYP :D
2) I want to know more about the various financial instruments such as FX, interest rates, bonds, etc.
3) I hope to work in the treasury department

I got no working experience as I just finish my Dip. 20 tis year. N i plan to study full-time at SIM.

Hahaha. I also heard from my senior it's not easy. Esp when there's no project. An exam for each module n tat's it. How is the timetable like?

Thxs alot.

Postby Guest » Sun, 08 May 2005 9:32 pm

Opps sry. I mean NYP not BYP

jaymee

Postby jaymee » Mon, 09 May 2005 10:45 am

since u have a relevant diploma, u are eligible for the bridging course, sorta like an entrance exam... once u pass that u only need to do a 2 year degee course at SIM. first year 4 modules second year 5 modules... each entails a three hour lec each week and 3 hours of sorta like tutorials but wat we call consultation coz the lecturer will only be there to answer your queries, not teach.

even though the hours spent in class are not long but the lessons can be heavy and need lots of reading up at home... esp during exam time, its make or break... i suggest u get a brochure from the SIM office to read up on the avaliable subjects on banking.

Postby Guest » Mon, 09 May 2005 12:06 pm

Icic thanks alot!