Singapore Expats Forum

Online petition_Taming the pet industry

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Online petition_Taming the pet industry

Postby Guest » Wed, 04 May 2005 2:59 pm

Singapore’s pet-trade in has grown into a self-regulating industry despite the rising numbers of animals that are abandoned everyday. In 2003 alone, 12,309 animals were brought in to the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA). This does not include in the animals brought to other animal associations such as the ASD ( Action for Singpore Dogs), the CWS (Cat Welfare Society) and the HRS ( House Rabbit Society). Pet store owners get richer and richer as more and more animals end up abandoned, neglected or abused.

Many of these animals in question are purchased on impulse and sold by pet stores that import animals by the dozens. People walk by pet store windows, coo over how cute infant animals are, are convinced by sales people about how simple taking care of a pet is and come home with living creatures they have no idea how to take care of.

And besides the animals on sale, pet stores provide and profit from a wide variety of “accessories”

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 04 May 2005 3:45 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Thu, 25 May 2006 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raine

Postby Raine » Wed, 04 May 2005 3:50 pm

Oh thanks for this!! I had torn out the article in the papers with the intent of getting into the website but got caught up at work! Thanks..will sign now.

illegal

Postby illegal » Wed, 04 May 2005 10:21 pm

There are millions more illegally imported all over the world for human consumption :!:

myworld21

Postby myworld21 » Thu, 05 May 2005 1:53 pm

i signed it on.

Lois

Postby Lois » Thu, 05 May 2005 2:04 pm

illegal wrote:There are millions more illegally imported all over the world for human consumption :!:

So many causes, so little time. At least something has started for one cause... and hopefully this cause will highlight the plight of poor animal treatment in this country, then maybe you or someone else can bring up the issue of the "illegally imported" (what animals, pray tell!). I know the seahorses which are going extinct are hot on the list in medicine shops... walk along chinatown and you will see them in sacks in front of the medicine shops. So, there you have it... does Singapore really care about soon to be extinct animals or global warming and greenhouse gases?

Postby Guest » Thu, 05 May 2005 3:16 pm

Chinese ppl can cook and eat any creature, same as french ppl have sex with anything alive

sales man

Postby sales man » Thu, 05 May 2005 4:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:Chinese ppl can cook and eat any creature, same as french ppl have sex with anything alive

i think it not chinese, maybe some other country. Me as chinese i don't eat and creature, me myself keep pet(chinchilla)

Postby Guest » Thu, 05 May 2005 4:58 pm

I agree that Chinese cook and eat any creature.

But there is a different from Singaporean Chinese and China Chinese. Same to Americans ang moh different from Bristish ang moh.

China Chinese are called 'Chi-na' and they are the pple who eat all creatures as long as it's back faces the sky. Meaning all creature that are alive they will eat! Horrible right? So pls dont associate Chi-na with local Chinese, we are different!

Postby Guest » Thu, 05 May 2005 7:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:I agree that Chinese cook and eat any creature.

But there is a different from Singaporean Chinese and China Chinese. Same to Americans ang moh different from Bristish ang moh.

China Chinese are called 'Chi-na' and they are the pple who eat all creatures as long as it's back faces the sky. Meaning all creature that are alive they will eat! Horrible right? So pls dont associate Chi-na with local Chinese, we are different!

ic, because singapore seldom had this kind of food. expamle dog meat, i think cannot sell in singapore. But i don't eat it.. i love dog too.