Singapore Expats Forum

Thread " Caucasians get the sack in PRC" deleted

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

PhantomX

Thread " Caucasians get the sack in PRC" deleted

Postby PhantomX » Tue, 03 May 2005 10:00 pm

I have deleted the abovementioned thread. All particpants in the thread have gotten themselves so very worked up that the topic has shown itself of absolutely no earthly value. This will be the tack taken if any such tendencies manifest themselves in other threads. So watch yourselves or you will find yourself without a topic to discuss.
X

Laza

Postby Laza » Tue, 03 May 2005 10:07 pm

Totally agree. Surprise that you took so long.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 03 May 2005 11:00 pm

question for the moderators:

Do you guys / girls actually block IP adresses? It seems to me that there is a growing number of trolls here, whose only goal is to stress people, in some cases it is purely racist, xenofobic or sexist language.

Being a moderator myself on various other forums, we just block these trolls, how about this forum?

Thanks in advance for some clarification.

Eric

AsianWorker

Don't agree

Postby AsianWorker » Wed, 04 May 2005 7:50 am

I agree that there was quite a few mudslinging in this thread but what went on reflects a concern in the broader community... especially among Asian professionals not only in Singapore but right across Asia.

It is a topic which needs to be discussed in the public domain and there were quite a number of very reasonable arguments put forward by a few contributors. ... looks like some Caucasian expats don't like it .. but they need to learn to consider other points of view and not react to such viewpoints with such venom.

In fact I feel such discussion in the long run will contribute towards better understanding between Caucasian expats and locals not vice-versa.

This makes me wonder whether discussion in this forum needs to be conducted from an Eurocentric perspective to be acceptable.

Can the moderator explain this?

Thanks.

Raven

AsianWorker

Postby Raven » Wed, 04 May 2005 9:22 am

This makes me wonder whether discussion in this forum needs to be conducted from an Eurocentric perspective to be acceptable

Can you clarify what do you mean by "discussion in this forum needs to be conducted from an Eurocentric perspective " :?:
:roll:

PhantomX

Re: Don't agree

Postby PhantomX » Wed, 04 May 2005 9:30 am

AsianWorker wrote:I agree that there was quite a few mudslinging in this thread but what went on reflects a concern in the broader community... especially among Asian professionals not only in Singapore but right across Asia.

It is a topic which needs to be discussed in the public domain and there were quite a number of very reasonable arguments put forward by a few contributors. ... looks like some Caucasian expats don't like it .. but they need to learn to consider other points of view and not react to such viewpoints with such venom.

In fact I feel such discussion in the long run will contribute towards better understanding between Caucasian expats and locals not vice-versa.

This makes me wonder whether discussion in this forum needs to be conducted from an Eurocentric perspective to be acceptable.

Can the moderator explain this?

Thanks.

Neither a euorcentric nor asian centric view is pandered to in this forum. As an open forum it is not the aim nor object to take sides. Although a thread may have useful views expressed, if it is constantly bombarded by detractors of either view, it ceases to function and falls into dysfunction and hence has outlived its usefulness. Hence the decision to delete the whole thread instead of individual elements therein
X

AsianWorker

Re: AsianWorker

Postby AsianWorker » Wed, 04 May 2005 11:11 am

Raven wrote:
This makes me wonder whether discussion in this forum needs to be conducted from an Eurocentric perspective to be acceptable

Can you clarify what do you mean by "discussion in this forum needs to be conducted from an Eurocentric perspective " :?:
:roll:

I gather you don't come from a social science or international communication background. Just for interest sake, because I'm Indian too, what is your professional field?

You seem to get worked up when differences in Asian and Western perspectives are raised in this forum. You made a similar comment in another thread as well.

Or are you a Westerner masquerading as an Indian? :shock:

Now getting into the point of your question.

An Eurocentric perspective is looking at things from a Western (usually Anglo/American) point of view. This could mean that we agree European colonialism of the East was a mission to civilise the East and we must be gratefull to it. The non-Eurocentric perspective may be to look at colonialism as a mission to plunder the natural and human resources of the East to make Europe wealthy. In a more contemporary setting anEurocentric perspective may to accept that 'native speakers' are the best teachers of English and we must pay them more than Asians to do the job in our own countries. The non-Eurocentric view would be that English is an international language now and it belongs to us Asians / Indians as much as the Anglo-Saxons, and even some of the best English writers come from the East today ... like Arundathi Roy and others. So there is no need to emphasise 'native speakers' for English language teaching. The list could go on and on ....

Hope you got the point .... my argument about liberal speech is that both perspectives Eurocentric and Asiacentric) could co-exist and we need not agree with each other. But the debate needs to be conducted in a civilised manner.