Singapore Expats Forum

Scam targetting at yahoo! users

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Yahooo

Scam targetting at yahoo! users

Postby Yahooo » Sun, 01 May 2005 11:35 am

I have just received this message from a so-called Yahoo user. It seems that these annoying scammers are targetting at Yahoo users pretending to be keen to purchase items.

Somehow, their style of writing is so similar and full of spelling mistakes that make their 'interests' look so foul.

Here goes the message from the scammer:

HELLO MY NAME IS MARK JONES, I LIVE IN NY CITY PLS I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU STIL HAVE THIS diamond pendant FOR SELL i will pay SGD800 AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO PAY FOR IT VIA WESTERN UNION AUCTION PAYMENT BIDPAY FOR YOUR MONEY ORDER .I would have prefered paypal but I am behind paypal firewall and its port has been blocked by my isp provider ALSO I WILL LIKE THE ITEM SHIP VIA SPEED POST {EMS} ONCE YOU AGREE TO THE PAYMENT TERM AND CONDITION I WILL NEED THESE INFORMATION FOR THE PAYMENT NAME- ADDRESS- CONTACT PHONE LBS OF THE ORDER LET ME KNOW IF YOU STIL HAVE I FOR SELL PLS REPLY ME Via tafayofo6@yahoo.com
MARK"

Re: Scam targetting at yahoo! users

Postby Guest » Sun, 01 May 2005 7:27 pm

Yahooo wrote:I have just received this message from a so-called Yahoo user. It seems that these annoying scammers are targetting at Yahoo users pretending to be keen to purchase items.

Somehow, their style of writing is so similar and full of spelling mistakes that make their 'interests' look so foul.

Here goes the message from the scammer:

HELLO MY NAME IS MARK JONES, I LIVE IN NY CITY PLS I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU STIL HAVE THIS diamond pendant FOR SELL i will pay SGD800 AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO PAY FOR IT VIA WESTERN UNION AUCTION PAYMENT BIDPAY FOR YOUR MONEY ORDER .I would have prefered paypal but I am behind paypal firewall and its port has been blocked by my isp provider ALSO I WILL LIKE THE ITEM SHIP VIA SPEED POST {EMS} ONCE YOU AGREE TO THE PAYMENT TERM AND CONDITION I WILL NEED THESE INFORMATION FOR THE PAYMENT NAME- ADDRESS- CONTACT PHONE LBS OF THE ORDER LET ME KNOW IF YOU STIL HAVE I FOR SELL PLS REPLY ME Via tafayofo6@yahoo.com
MARK"

yeah, lots of scammers out there. In particular of late quite a few from philippines, nigeria, west africa, and also USA.

Check out this thread in an ebay forum about this topic:

http://forums.ebay.com.au/thread.jspa?t ... 4910118034

After I read it, I realised my girlfriend was also contacted someone using the same scam when she was selling her pc. fortunately she stuck with her original plan of selling only to locals.