Singapore Expats Forum

PLS HELP ; LOST???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

help help

PLS HELP ; LOST???

Postby help help » Sun, 01 May 2005 1:10 am

Hi I am an engineer by education and would like to get into the financial industry after working as engineer for 2years . I had tried sending resumes to banks but no reply. PLs help and advise on how to get in if I am from different background

seidltan

Re: PLS HELP ; LOST???

Postby seidltan » Sun, 01 May 2005 8:02 pm

help help wrote:Hi I am an engineer by education and would like to get into the financial industry after working as engineer for 2years . I had tried sending resumes to banks but no reply. PLs help and advise on how to get in if I am from different background

Why don't you try to get into banks which are offering (management) trainee positions? This is a good stepping stone to get into the financial industry. I did the same thing after 7 years of real estate industry, and I could confidently say that this side-stepping has paid off!

Good Luck!
:D

lost?

Postby Guest » Wed, 04 May 2005 3:19 am

u must be very good, as from what i understand these management trainees position are rather hard to get in

seidltan

Re: lost?

Postby seidltan » Thu, 05 May 2005 3:25 am

Anonymous wrote:u must be very good, as from what i understand these management trainees position are rather hard to get in

Well...I did the trainee change in Austria and have been in the financial industry ever since. I didn't know that its that hard to get into one in Singapore? Perhaps one should try with one of the foreign banks - expectations are less 'kiasu' than a singaporean bank maybe?

Re: PLS HELP ; LOST???

Postby Guest » Thu, 05 May 2005 4:54 am

help help wrote:Hi I am an engineer by education and would like to get into the financial industry after working as engineer for 2years . I had tried sending resumes to banks but no reply. PLs help and advise on how to get in if I am from different background

maybe you have applied for the wrong kind of openings - there is a number of areas in banking which are highly "technical" ( number crunching in market and credit risk; financial engineering) - if you have a technical/mathematical background, you may want to consider getting some post graduate qualifications- could be a finance MBA, or more focused qulifications like Financial Risk Manager (GARP) or Chartered Financial Analyst (AIMR) ...FRM and CFA are low cost - get the home study materials and pay the examination fee, thats it ... it usually helps to be IT savy as well ...