Singapore Expats Forum

need a little advise

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

robm

need a little advise

Postby robm » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 9:48 pm

I clicked through to this message board whilst searching for information on job opportunities in Singapore. I have read through a number of the postings and subsequent replies with interest, and have noted the numerous people who post messages looking for 'relocation' advice.

I am Irish, 28 years old and have been working (in London) in a project-management-type role in the nonprofit sector since I finished my first degree (business management) six years ago. I have progressed rapidly and now manage a reasonable turnover and a healthy-sized staff team (approx 125employees, mixed full and part-time). In the mean time, I have recently completed a masters degree in business administration (MBA) part-time. Completing the MBA has served to provide me with an exit strategy from the nonprofit sector to the corporate world. Recent experience with a number of UK based head-hunters has proved this to be the case.

I had some family living in KL when I was growing up and enjoyed many summers over there and in Singapore. In my more formative years I have travelled throughout SEA a number of times, which has served to heighten my desire to relocate.

I have booked a flight and will be arriving to spend two weeks in Singapore from mid-June. In this time, I am hoping to try and make contacts, search for employment opportunities, meet with people similar to me so as to clarify lifestyle-expectations and gather information about living and working in Singapore.

Whilst I’m sure this is very interesting to you all, there is a point to this posting. There are a number of things I am having trouble with. I have been trying to arrange to meet with a number of the recruitment agencies I found on the web with little success. Does anyone know if any these agencies meet with speculative applicants or should I be applying for actual jobs on these websites? What is a good starting point when I arrive in Singapore – is there any point in visiting the Irish embassy (they are probably more interested in helping skilled workers GO to Ireland than leave it)? I am slightly conscious that whilst I know I can persuade people that my skills and experience is wholly transferable and relevant to the corporate sector in the UK, I am unsure about the cultural differences in this respect. If I have do not have direct industry experience in any given field, will I find it difficult to persuade people in Singapore that my skills are transferable?

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Rob

Very Difficult

Postby Very Difficult » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:19 pm

to get a walkin interview. See this thread:

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic16158.html