Singapore Expats

Expat allowances/packages

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
awake_late

Expat allowances/packages

Post by awake_late » Fri, 29 Apr 2005 7:10 pm

I'm in the process of (fingers crossed) securing a management position at a MNC in Sing paying between 10-15K per month. It would mean relocating my family from Melbourne.

I'm trying to understand what are some common structures for this kind job offer. Is it usually base + living allowances? Or are living / relocation allowances incorporated into the salary? What kind of allowances are there? Are there any credible resources online? Surveys of ex-pat allowances as a proportion of salary? or is it a total free-market, supply/demand, global neighbourhood, free-for-all?

cyber_m0nkey
Regular
Regular

Post by cyber_m0nkey » Fri, 29 Apr 2005 8:39 pm

Expat contract example...

Base salary
Super (paid into an Austrlian fund)
Car (provided by employer), inclding all costs except fuel
housing & utilities (provided by employer by reimbursement)
relocation expenses (to & from)
exploration trip (to find housing)
annual home leave (annual trip to home country)
***Critical***Tax advice and annual return by professional organisation (e.g. Deloittes)
health insurance
all other insurances equired for relocation

- Make sure all aspects are covered in the contract, e.g. number of annual & sick leave days, termination and re-patriation details, etc.
- Long service leave is an Aussie thing so won't apply in Singapore, but you can get it put on hold until you return so you don't loose whatever entitlement you have already accrued.
- Try to negotiate a special extra payment of one months salary for 'hardship', i.e. to get you started with furniture, appliances, etc.