Singapore Expats Forum

Getting to Senai airport Johor Bahru/ Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Getting to Senai airport Johor Bahru/ Climbing Mt Kinabalu

Postby newgirl » Fri, 29 Apr 2005 2:37 pm

Hi

I am heading off to Sabah on Sunday and need to get to Senai airport.

Can you tell me how to get there by bus, how much taxis costs??

Cheers

Oh- and my friends are making me climb that darn mountain Mt Kinabalu (sp) - any horrors stories about how bad it is?

michael langdridge

Postby michael langdridge » Fri, 29 Apr 2005 3:12 pm

take a taxi from queen street, straight to senai airport...thats the most convenient. buses are complicated...u need to change, the singapore govt doesnt allow direct buses to senai to protect their changi airport. anyway, the cab fare isnt that expensive cos senai is just over the border. alternative, u can radio for a comfort taxi to pick u up from home and take u straight there...make sure he uses the meter or he might try to overcharge u. u just need to pay an additional 3 bucks thereabouts for booking charge. the drive is not too long, allow about half an hour for the trip but leave sufficient time for checkin. have a good time in sabah

swiss climber

Postby swiss climber » Fri, 29 Apr 2005 3:19 pm

whatever u do, do not climb via the west face....i had 28 friends who left separately on 4 expeditions, on separate occasions. 13 of them didnt make it back. the only group of 7 who returned safely did not take the west face. the other 3 groups left 7 in each group, but came back 3,3,2. the rest fell and died! these 3 groups went by the west face so u go figure.....

Bichon

Postby Bichon » Tue, 03 May 2005 3:07 am

Hi, how's ur trip? I luv to climb dat beauty one day. 2 bad ... perhaps not the time yet. Saw u had problem getting to senai. Actually if I had been earlier I may help u. Anyway, if u dun mind and not scare u can call the msian pte car driver to drive from ur plc to senai direct at S$60 regardless of how many pple as he/she chrg as per car basis. Another way is thr the Air Asia bus provided from Spg to Senai.... hee cost ard S$10 I think.... when u r back share wif us... It's truly a beauty sight no doubt at all.....:)
Ah Lee

newgirl
Regular
Regular

Mt Kinabalu

Postby newgirl » Mon, 09 May 2005 8:43 am

Hi Bichon et al

Thanks for all the tips.

Mt Kinabalu was awesome, and the climb was not half as bad as I expected it to be (ignore all the smug people on the way down, telling you to be brave etc).
It took us 3.5 hours to get to the huts at around 10000ft then another 2.5 hours to get to the summit. The route is v well defined and I am not sure why you even need a guide- ours was hopeless, although the guidebooks do say they are v hit and miss.

If you do climb it, try and get a room in the heated hut- we ended up staying in a tin shack about 500m further up from the main hut which contains the restaurant etc. Not good when you are tired!!!