Singapore Expats Forum

existential angst

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lost and found ?

existential angst

Postby lost and found ? » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 4:44 pm

without meaning to offend the optimists ( i envy them ) , just wanted know/understand from people who believe that there is a purpose to their exictence on the planet... as to what is that haloed purpose and how did they find it ???

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 8:27 pm

talking **** with random strangers on meaningless websites? :idea:

[Post censored for bad language - Moderator]

NBB

Postby NBB » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 8:58 pm

Speak for yourself JP.

;-)

Lextor

Postby Lextor » Fri, 16 Jul 2004 5:51 pm

Its not like that there is a purpose for our existence, but rather we must have a purpose in our lives. Its like driving a car with a destination in mind, and this will make you driving itself pleasurable.
Seems like you are a bit low at this time, hence such thoughts...???

Bubbles

Existential angst

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 16 Jul 2004 6:29 pm

I think it's that old 'chestnut', you know the one, 'Glass half full, glass half empty' syndrome.
We are at the most basic, biological beings. That is all we are. Accidents of genetic biology. However, we are the most astoundingly diverse and advanced forms of that biology.
Whether or not you believe in a 'faith' and whether or not you believe that that 'faith' has bearing on your life, it comes down to the same thing.
It's how your biology and the thought processes set up for you by that biology which makes you think the thoughts you do, and live the way you live.
However, it's not just nature that has made you the way you are. There's the other huge consideration, and yet another worldwide known debate which has massive weight on your life. That is the 'Nature versus Nurture' school of thought.
An enormous amount of moulding of your personality will have roots in how you were brought up, the things you saw, the reasons you were given for behaving in the way your parents and peers wished you to behave. We cannot help it, we are sponges for everyone else's desires. We wish to please at the most basic core of our beings, even though we don't realise we want this.
However, at the very last there is that most wonderful of human privileges, Free Choice.
Free Choice is what shapes our lives. It sounds like a sweet, golden airy thing, but in reality it is the most worrying and heavy load to carry as it brings with it all the difficult choices we make in life.
So, writer of the original question, there you have it. You can choose to be what you want to be. I'm not talking about black and white choices here.....such as, 'I'll be rich today' or 'I'll grow another foot in height in two weeks' or silly things like that. No, just that you can think yourself into any situation.
Think miserable and depressed, i.e. 'I'm just not as clever as X so that means why try?' or 'The world's given me a bum deal, so I'll not try to change it'..........think those things, and yes, they will become self-fulfilling prophecies.
However, think 'Life is short and precious, I've as much right to be here as the trees or the stars' so I'll get right on with DOING something' or ''My life, even as the biological entity that I am has a purpose, so let me find it'........well, those sort of thoughts, hard as they are to follow in real life, will bring with them a real sense of purpose.
I'm not going all Goody Two Shoes here, but on the way along our paths our positivity will help others, and what greater purpose can life have, than if YOUR life gave another person's life a boost, or if we can just say, 'I thought positively, I did what I could, I didn't stamp on people's hopes and dreams, and I took my place along with every human on this earth, as one of them?'
Sounds kooky and preacherish, but it's not meant to be, just an edict to live life by.
Just a smile, a deed, a knowledge that everyone else is in the same boat, and a virtual 'cuddle' from humanity when we are at our lowest.
OK, going now before I go all New Age, but honest, 'Smile and the world smiles with you'...........(Cry, and you cry alone.)

Lextor

Postby Lextor » Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:20 am

Dear thread started,
As you can see from Bubles very clear explanations, that there are so many concept that you could use to find the true purpose of life.

Sometimes its just you don't know where to start. If thats the dilemma you face, then I would suggest you get the assistance of a phychiatrist.

As I myself at some point found out, most of my misconception about life are locked up in the experiences in my childhood. With some help you could uncover the hidden secrets about yourself that you conciously are not aware. You will be surprised how strong you can be once you get a more clear picture about yourself.

Cheers!