Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Salary Index - Creative Career

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

CeciliaLW

Singapore Salary Index - Creative Career

Postby CeciliaLW » Wed, 02 Jun 2004 7:49 am

I just got an offer from a Multimedia Design company in Singapore. I am trying to negotiate to S$4000. Is this enough to survive? What else I should ask for in the salary package? I am an US citizen... anyone also familiar with Tax matter as well? My husband currently resides in Indonesia... I am getting to get near him. :) thanks in advance!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 03 Jun 2004 8:35 pm

You'll survive easily (many people survive on a quarter of that...). Be sure to negotiate decent medical coverage. Anything else -- housing allowance, relocation compensation, home leave trips, etc -- is up to your negotiating skills...

Pucca

Postby Pucca » Mon, 07 Jun 2004 2:36 pm

Hi, I'm a fresh graduate with a Bachelor in Multimedia, I'm planning to get a job in SIngapore, can you tell me the name of the company that you are employed in? I really want to et a job there, thanks -Vanda-

Re: Singapore Salary Index - Creative Career

Postby Guest » Mon, 14 Jun 2004 12:36 am

CeciliaLW wrote:I just got an offer from a Multimedia Design company in Singapore. I am trying to negotiate to S$4000. Is this enough to survive? What else I should ask for in the salary package? I am an US citizen... anyone also familiar with Tax matter as well? My husband currently resides in Indonesia... I am getting to get near him. :) thanks in advance!

yes it is enough to survice. tax rate will be almost tending to negkigibility at that salary. but i suggest you shhould look for expat headhunter firm in singapore. they can get you an expat pay job which is vey hgh compared to others. i mean with just check in indonesia with them-- the headhunters can fetch you a job there which may be around 4000. i mena i see no sense that you live in singapore at 4000 dollars to be near your husband who is in indonesia. I guess your husband might want to relocate to singapore then it is ok. otherwise there are many jobs i indonesia which can beat this salary. as ith your US experience you would have come to know that singapore salaries are pretty low. better go to indonesia oor call your husband to singapore because ith 4000 dollars and the singaopre working hours( very high!!!!!!)you would not be able to move that much. people here suck your blood from mornign till evening and then pay you like ...you know.

InCOgnito

Re: Singapore Salary Index - Creative Career

Postby InCOgnito » Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:13 am

I agree with Guest, Working in Singapore is not rosy, if you see what and individual earns per hr, it is peanuts. Also most of teh companies here are not in for employee welfare but are suckers who do not want to leave any sucking opportunity for maximising their profits

Anonymous wrote:
CeciliaLW wrote:I just got an offer from a Multimedia Design company in Singapore. I am trying to negotiate to S$4000. Is this enough to survive? What else I should ask for in the salary package? I am an US citizen... anyone also familiar with Tax matter as well? My husband currently resides in Indonesia... I am getting to get near him. :) thanks in advance!

yes it is enough to survice. tax rate will be almost tending to negkigibility at that salary. but i suggest you shhould look for expat headhunter firm in singapore. they can get you an expat pay job which is vey hgh compared to others. i mean with just check in indonesia with them-- the headhunters can fetch you a job there which may be around 4000. i mena i see no sense that you live in singapore at 4000 dollars to be near your husband who is in indonesia. I guess your husband might want to relocate to singapore then it is ok. otherwise there are many jobs i indonesia which can beat this salary. as ith your US experience you would have come to know that singapore salaries are pretty low. better go to indonesia oor call your husband to singapore because ith 4000 dollars and the singaopre working hours( very high!!!!!!)you would not be able to move that much. people here suck your blood from mornign till evening and then pay you like ...you know.

morias

good enough

Postby morias » Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:01 pm

hi Cecilia,

as you've read, opinions do vary abt working in Singapore.
But to answer your enquiry, $4k is enough to survive depending on your lifestyle. as mentioned by other users, do check on the perks you are getting like medical, housing and the likes. Taxes are definately in so take a look at www.singov.com.sg for more details.

Other than that, you'll be fine. Although living alone here, you'll find no trouble making new friends who'd be able to make your stay an experience to remember.

Postby Guest » Sat, 07 Aug 2004 7:20 pm

As an American citizen u must pay local tax (which is virtually nothing) and US Fed income tax - the only country in the world that i know of that will collect tax from all its citizens no matter where they reside

as for 4k - u will most likley like me struggle to spend it all.

as for the rest of you, i think the days of housing allowance etc are coming to an end - and have so in a large number of multinationals. although my company owns the place i live in so i pay nothing that could be called a housing allowance