Singapore Expats Forum

weekend escape to Sibu/Tioman

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
drfeelgood

weekend escape to Sibu/Tioman

Postby drfeelgood » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:17 pm

Greetings everybody!

Is anybody feeling claustrophobic in this tiny island of ours? I am headed to Tioman/Sibu for a quick weekend getaway, and here is inviting anybody who wants to join in!

For the uninitiated Tioman and Sibu are idyllic islands off coast of Mersing in Eastern Malaysia. Actually thats about what I know :) Its my first time there, but i have heard rather rave reviews of the islands, and this seems to be a good season too!

Essentials: Change of clothes and swimming gear, a malaysian visa or equivalent exemption, maybe a camera and an enthusiastic ear-to-ear grin. :D Ok the grin is optional, you can prefer to stay grumpy. :lol:

cheers all!

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Weekend Escape to Sibu/

Postby Matney » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:34 pm

I can recommend Sibu Island, would love to go again, but have plans this weekend with school activities. The people who run Rimba Resort were great and we found it very relaxing; thought it was inexpensive too!! Enjoy and take your snorkeling gear and a good book.

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 9:35 am

Would you know the estimated cost to fly and stay in Tioman/Sibu?

Thanks
Ad

drfeelgood

Postby drfeelgood » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:12 pm

adrianlee wrote:Would you know the estimated cost to fly and stay in Tioman/Sibu?

Thanks
Ad

You don't need to fly. AFAIK you catch a bus from Rochor Rd to Larkin in JB, thereafter another bus to Mersing. Mersing is a port, and from there there are jetties going to Tioman/Sibu/Rawa. Tioman is the biggest island and transport is easily available, Sibu and Rawa are small(and idyllic, unspoilt and much more beautiful) but they have resorts where you need to book before-hand and they provide their own jetties for pickup from Mersing.
My friends recollect a whole two day affair cannot cost more than 300 ringgit (about 130 sing) for a pretty good deal, food and stay included.

Mary

Postby Mary » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:13 pm

I also want to go to Tioman! :) Tell me your travel plan / idea...

drfeelgood

Postby drfeelgood » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:19 pm

Mary wrote:I also want to go to Tioman! :) Tell me your travel plan / idea...

Atleast do us the favour of creating an a/c, I wouldn't want to publish my plans at large like this and walk into the immigration at Malaysia with everybody cheering "yeah dude, we know where you are headed to..." and jetty operators skinning me alive on resort deals!

Creating an account takes a an emailID, username and less than a minute 8)

Yeah the general plan is leave Friday evening and return Sunday night, hopefully relaxed and refreshed to the hilt!

divesavvy

Postby divesavvy » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:57 pm

Hi there!

Something I have been wanting to do for quite a while.....organising a quiet getaway to Pulau Sibu this coming May Day weekend.

This is a 2-Day / 1-Night economical trip with transport and meals included for scuba enthusiasts who want to enjoy a relaxed peaceful weekend and dive out of a rustic Kelong in the midst of the sea.

Cost : S$235 per person
Group Size: Min. 8 / Max. 12 (Limited Space)
Trip Duration: 01May (0630hrs) to 02May (2000hrs)

Register by: 25 APR 2005

Cost includes:
~ 2-Way Transportation (SIN - Tanjung Leman vv).
~ Boat Transfers (Tanjung Leman – Sibu Kelong vv).
~ Consists of 5 Boat-Dives (weather permitting).
~ All Meals while at the Kelong; 2 x Breakfast, 3 x Lunch, 1 x Dinner.
~ Long House type of Accommodation at Kelong x 1 Night.
~ Scuba Tanks & Weights.

Dive Sites:
Around Pulau Sibu / Lima / Tinggi

Those interested do email me at divesavvy@yahoo.com.sg with your Name & Contact. Hurry, I am holding reservation at the Kelong till 25Apr.

Cheers! :D
Kevin

no diver

snorkelling

Postby no diver » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 2:29 pm

divesavvy, I am not diving, just snorkelling - would this trip be good for snorkelling?

divesavvy

Postby divesavvy » Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:43 am

Hi no diver, U r most welcome on the trip...other activities like snorkeling and fishing are available.