Singapore Expats Forum

Cheated by HDB house owner at Choa Chu Kang

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

rviswa

Cheated by HDB house owner at Choa Chu Kang

Postby rviswa » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 7:20 pm

Hi All,

I was recently taken for a ride by a house owner in Choa Chu kang. I lost 400 dollars and lots of my energy and time on this. :(
He agreed to rent his house initially and signed the documents during Dec-2004. But, on the day of key collection, he told me that he has changed his mind and don't want to rent out. But paid back only half of the money paid as advance. So, I got back only 400 so far. He gave me post-dated cheque for balance S$ 400 as a honest person and later stopped payment. Agent also left me all alone to handle this. Housing agent from Aspen Properties. Many visits and SMS could not help me to recover the money. Now, it is confirmed that he has no intention to payback. Disgusting that these type of people still exist in Singapore which is a very good place to live in (based on my experience so far).
Could anybody suggest me a way to recover this money from the house owner?
I will reveal all details in this forum in a phased manner so that another person is not cheated like this.

Re: Cheated by HDB house owner at Choa Chu Kang

Postby Guest » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 9:29 pm

rviswa wrote:Hi All,

I was recently taken for a ride by a house owner in Choa Chu kang. I lost 400 dollars and lots of my energy and time on this. :(
He agreed to rent his house initially and signed the documents during Dec-2004. But, on the day of key collection, he told me that he has changed his mind and don't want to rent out. But paid back only half of the money paid as advance. So, I got back only 400 so far. He gave me post-dated cheque for balance S$ 400 as a honest person and later stopped payment. Agent also left me all alone to handle this. Housing agent from Aspen Properties. Many visits and SMS could not help me to recover the money. Now, it is confirmed that he has no intention to payback. Disgusting that these type of people still exist in Singapore which is a very good place to live in (based on my experience so far).
Could anybody suggest me a way to recover this money from the house owner?
I will reveal all details in this forum in a phased manner so that another person is not cheated like this.

you should report to police in this case, nowadays everywhere have bad people but not only Singapore. With the documents you signed and the receipt the agent's issued which i believe you do get a copy, you can seek for help from police. Wish you good luck and hope you can get back whatever belong to you...

Postby Guest » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 2:40 pm

What u expect from local owners? I been cheated many times, most is 3000$ deduct from deposit. Normal SG practice.

Postby Guest » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 5:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:What u expect from local owners? I been cheated many times, most is 3000$ deduct from deposit. Normal SG practice.

haha, me too. by Chinese and Indian owners. What's next? Malay?? hmmm.