Singapore Expats Forum

Making friends

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
vshwpry

Making friends

Postby vshwpry » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 7:09 pm

Hi everyone (or anyone out there who happens to feel the same)
After two years in Singapore I have come to a conclusion that the chances of ever meeting poeple who talk (about things other than slimming and beauty and the weather and Malaysia and holidays) are increasingly diminishing and hence am writing this in panic! Any one who feels the same (and who doesnt need to talk about diving trips and travel plans) Please write back to vshwpry@yahoo.com!! BTW- am indian female and married.

KL

Postby KL » Thu, 21 Apr 2005 7:43 am

I'm a foreigner like - first mistake to come Malaysia here with any expectation/preconceptions at all - come with all new and know nothing about it to begin with!

No doubt Malaysia has developed compared to most of the poor Asian courtiers like India, China, Burma, etc but it is still poor respect to its neighbor Singapore.

When I came here, two years back as a postgraduate student in one of the famous public university, my expectation was great. I had heard and read on the website that Malaysia is developing tiger in Asian countries; no doubt, it is but only in few fields, like road or building.

Due to many multinational companies and tourism, I thought that I would find the country as I expected. But I was wrong when I started staying here. I found that it is worse country for foreign students.

There is hatred for them, hard life and discrimination and same time there is no much meaning for the degrees they earn, even in Malaysia.

Malays mentality is far below than what I had expected. I thought that they must have learned lot from multination culture and tourism, but I am fully wrong.

Just structural development is not everything - today, USA, UK, Singapore, Australia is well know not only for structural development but for mental development as well, and it is here I realized the true meaning of mental and educational development.

But after landing here and passing few days, I started realizing that there is something wrong with this country - many thing wrong.

Malaysian (Bumiputra they called, by the way, it is Bumi - Land, putra - son) being majority in nation have been protected by so many rules, in their own country because simply they cannot survive without it (I think, if not why they need this).

Anyway, it is not my concern, I am foreigner and I am not there to stay, it's their own matter. I know that in many nations, weaker and smaller section need protection - called minority groups, but here surprise to see that majority need protection.

Surprise to see that, in my two years of life here, I could not make any single malay friend (I am not talking about girl friend, I think that is easy here although I have not tried and I am not here for that purpose), it is not that I have weakness in making friend, on other hand I have made lots of international friends after coming here.

There are three races here, Malay, India and Chinese, being one country they should live in harmony, and mix well among each other, but I have not seen any Chinese talking or making friends with Malay or India.

I feel from their faces that every race here hate other race, they are only forced to stay together because of the strict rules but not due to their will or happiness. Even Chinese or Indian Muslims are not close with Malays Muslims.

Even malays among themselves are not so cooperative (I have heard but not sure, because I have no malay friend to know in deeper, you may tell me).

By the way, that is culture, let's talk about education, for which foreign students are here. As far as education is concern, they have no any standard. There is vast difference between Singapore and Malaysia education, although they are so close.

Apart from that, I feel that 75% lecturers and professors are not fit for the places which they are occupying, so is the students. But anyway they are good for each other. I mean to says that no matter how worse malay student is, malay lecturer will pass him, and no doubt, after that job is waiting for him, that is also in multinational company because of the government protection rule.

But when malay lecturer sees a foreigner student he turns his face away from him; I don't know why there is so much hatred for foreigners? They feel that foreigners have come to rob their houses and property. If they don't like foreign students, then why they give them admission and visa?

Malaysia universities are very poor in research and practical works. Although there are lots of multinational companies, there is no any connection between them, either in research or practical work.

Students don't know what the companies want, and companies don't know what students are studying. There is no any assistantship for needy and hardworking foreign students, although there are lots for locals.

No matter how great you (foreigners) are in studies, if you have money you will study in Malaysia or go back home, very simple formula. You are not allowed to work according to government rule and if you caught working then there is jail and cane beating, they will not simply deport you like western county (this shows their true mentality).

Apart from these there is much discrimination among local and foreign students inside universities, few I have mentioned above, lot remains to be mentioned, but I want to hear from you! Especially from those who have earned their degrees in foreign land. Do they treat you like what you treat us here?

Skeptics will just say the rules propagate a generation of lazy/corrupt with no incentive to improve their own standard of living because everything get is handed to them on a plate by a nanny state.

Business owners fight harder because they don't get special treatment. Yet generations have been under the same regime for donkey's years…..

As you get older you'll forget about changing an entire country and just accept everything is…………

run away from malaysia

Postby run away from malaysia » Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:42 pm

People who are still staying in Malaysia were taken as fool by the government in many ways:

1) Social
2) Laws
3) Economics

Government also thinks Malaysia has provided the best of all for the Chinese immigrants from China. But it was not true, I regretted that my grandparents went to Penang and didn't take the ship to San Francisco. Well, they have no choice because as they only had to East South Asia instead of San Francisco.

People who went to North America were other Chinese.

Vietnamese who left Vietnam in the 70s are better off now in North America. I think about my people in Malaysia and I am very sad.

Chinese Malaysians are not treated with respect by the malay-led government. I suggest Chinese demand for greater freedom and demand all the way.

Until government accepted and give in to your demand, and if they refused, all who are persecuted by the Malaysia laws can apply to be refugees in Canada.

Vietnamese refugees have received better treatment from Canada when I compared it to the treatment received by us - the Chinese in the malay-led country - A Racist nation until today.

When you apply at any port-of-entry (airport/ boarder/seaport) to be refugee claimant, you are treated with respect.

Immigration will be processed. You will also receive monthly welfare money until you have established yourself or family.

I think this alternative provide an avenue for all Chinese who are stuck in Malaysia to demand full recognition from the malay. Chinese always hold back and too afraid to speak out. With this refugee system available in Canada, you should speak out and if the government played you out, you can come here.

Many people in the world are using this way to speak up and get better freedom back home. One very good example was 'Tienanmen' activists, they were granted refugee status not only Canada but also USA.

When you speak up for your own right, you stand to win. Regardless of which way you take - in Malaysia (political activist) or ended up in Canada as refugee.

Chinese in Malaysia, DON'T be a fence sitter.

go to better future

Postby go to better future » Tue, 02 Aug 2005 5:49 am

Read it all. In Mahathir's Malaysia, over 40% of the population lives under Constitutionally mandated and perpetual state sanctioned racism. It is verging on illegality to even bring up the subject - even in parliament.

Non-bumis live under widespread and considerable electoral, economic, educational and even religious restrictions and also have to live with the risk of racially motivated stirring from malay politicians who could put one nation to shame. And don't ask about illegal aliens, they're safely locked up in detention centres.

Unsurprisingly, some malay pollies have played upon resultant fears of racial tensions and the difficulties non-bumis face in creating their own political voice to shore up a captive vote in the ethnic electorate.

Starting up a company or even purchasing land and property is harder and more expensive for non-bumis. The only way to alleviate their permanent designation as a second-class citizen is to convert to Islam and thus enjoy partial legal acceptance as a bumis.

This Malaysia, a land where racism is used to justify racism, is Mahathir's creation and if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, then I need a new palette.

Perhaps you may have heard of the axiom making its rounds among the Malaysian bloggers:

"If it is a malay issue, it is a national issue. If it is an Indian issue, it is not an issue. If it is a Chinese issue, it is a racial issue."

That is the problem with Malaysia. The Chinese and Indians are made to feel as if Malaysia is for the malays, and not for the citizens of Malaysia. Even the textbooks are often written as if addressing the malays instead of Malaysians, with references to Islam and other malay cultural aspects.

Just look at Singapore. In spite of their being a multiracial society completely lacking in national resources, they are now a developed country. Why?

Because the people there are united. There is no presumption that the average citizen is a Chinese or any serious programme giving a particular race special rights.

The presumption that greed, dishonesty, and betrayal are innate qualities of a Chinese is simply as abhorrent as the presumption by some Chinese that malays smell bad, are lazy, and are extremely religious to the point of martyrdom. Such stereotyping accomplishes nothing.

If Chinese kids won't die for Malaysia, we should not jump to the conclusion that Chinese cannot be trusted. Instead, we should consider it equally among other possibilities, such as the government's policies creating a feeling of unfair treatment despite the premise that we are all equal as citizens of Malaysia.

Because the government imposes racial quota in education and government departments, therefore Singapore and other countries take fortune at the tide. For years, there has been brain drain to our neighbour.

From the above, it is clear that the question of the constitutionality of the quota system as it has been practised since 1971 especially in totally bumi institutions has never been tested.

We know what the original intentions of the malay special privileges provision in the Merdeka Constitution were, but to maintain that it is a carte blanche for all manner of discrimination based on the bumi/non-bumi divide is certainly straining credibility.

Now that the commanding heights of the Malaysian economy have fallen into the hands of malay capitalists 48 years after independence, is it wrong to appeal for a new consensus based on social sector and need instead of race?

I called my newfound friend earlier who works in Singapore. Somehow, the conversation ended up on Malaysians holding top positions in Singapore.

Well, I have a good friend who is currently working with a top notch investment company in Singapore. When my new friend found out, immediately said, "No wonder that Pak Lah person was mentioning about the brain drain in Malaysia!"

Well, I know a lot of doctors and scientists are working overseas. A number of my school alumni are actually working overseas and not in Malaysia. Some are doing well in Boston, London, to name a few. It's even funnier to hear stories of some of my school alumni to accidentally meet each other when they are overseas. Yes, my school is guilty for contributing to the brain drain……….

Closer to home, I wonder if Pak Lah knows about our own Malaysian companies that are also contributing to the brain drain. No name mentioned, but I know of one company, due to the change in business process has forced a number of the disgruntled staff to leave the company.

The worse thing, these staff left and joined the competitors that are not Malaysian owned. And even worse, some staff actually decided to leave Malaysia and work at greener pastures.

They could have stayed in Malaysia, but no company in Malaysia could afford to pay the expected salary due to the staff being former scholars and studied overseas during the economic crisis.

Sad really. Now wonder why Pak Lah has an uphill task.

Clearly, there has always been movement of highly skilled people in and out of a country. If there is brain drain from a particular country, it can scarcely develop. On the other hand, if it can keep its talents and successfully attract its skilled citizens to return as well as foreign talents to come, it will prosper.