Singapore Expats

Partner moving to live with me

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply

Partner moving to live with me

Post by Paul » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 4:40 pm

I am wondering if anyone would be able to give me some straight forward advice:

I am from the UK and have just made perminant in Singapore. My British girlfriend is coming out to join me here.

Aside from getting married (ahem), how can I ensure than she can stay here for long periods of time and most importantly work.



Post by buzzgirl » Tue, 26 Apr 2005 3:50 pm

Hi there

My boyfriend has just got a permanent job in Singapore too ! We are going over early June to live. We are not married either - but his company is getting me a visa organised.. I will have to do a bit of paperwork - but apparently it is up to the company you work for to organise this. Singapore doesn't really recognise defacto relationships. As for the working part, I've heard conflicting advise, that I can work and that I can't ! But I'm pretty sure - once your girlfriend has a long-term social visitor pass - she can work !! Hope this helps !!!

cheers !


User avatar
Strong Eagle
Posts: 11677
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Answers: 10
Location: Off The Red Dot

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Apr 2005 4:13 pm

Basically, for both of you couples there is no BF/GF pass. If you have a marriage certificate and/or evidence of a common law marriage, then you can be issued a dependent or a long term social visit pass. Otherwise you will only be allowed a 30 days visitors pass from the UK, 90 days from the US and Australia.

Options - you leave the country and come back when your social pass is about to expire. To get 30 days, it must be on an airplane (so I understand)... a bus trip to Malaysia will only get you 14 days. You can do this for about a year before your pass will no longer be renewed.

If your BF/GF's employer is helping, then that means they are applying for some sort of employment pass for you. There are no other passes.

You could consider applying for landed PR status if you intend on staying here permanently, have college degree or better, and multiple years of professional experience, but this is not easy to get.

MoM website:,1858,96 ... --,00.html

straight forward

Post by straight forward » Thu, 05 May 2005 2:00 pm

Each person has to apply for a job and get one on their own merit. Once the said person has accepted a suitable job offer, their respective employer will apply for the employment pass for her/him.

Hence, they will be
(1) gainfully employed, and
(2) able to stay on for the duration of the employment contract.


Post by same » Mon, 16 May 2005 1:40 pm

We were in the same situation, if you lived together in the UK, you can get a legal Statutory Declaration drawn up here by any Commisioner of Oaths (cost about S$200) stating that you lived together as Common Law spouses in teh UK. You then have to take that to the British Embassy who will issue a letter saying exactly the same thing, you can then apply for an LTSVP for your girlfriend. If yopu company is willing to help by sponsoring the application, enslosing a letter sayinmg that you work for them, your girlfriends your comoon law spouse etc you should get the visa for her, same duration as your EP.

Good luck, it went very smoothly for us but obiously only have our experience to go by, hopefully be the same for you both.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests