Singapore Expats Forum

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 5:09 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 24 May 2006 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby ... » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 5:18 pm

Haha :) Did you see his cameo role in Dodgeball?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:06 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 24 May 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby .. » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:20 pm

Go watch Dodgeball. It's a typical Ben Stiller movie, really funny. Lance Armstrong has a 5 minute appearance where he gives the lead character a pep talk just shortly after the guy quit the team.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:23 pm

Anyone know where I can get hold of one of those 'Live strong' bracelets? really wanted one for the longest time..... :?

infrno

Re: Simply the best

Postby infrno » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 4:48 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:

There is no greater man on this planet than Lance Armstrong. The best athlete ever, a great personality, true character, simply the best

Respect...

Eric

Far be it from me to try and slight a truly amazing man <that's Lance, not you Eric...> but I'd disagree with the best athlete on the planet thing. I'd suggest that windsurfing's Bjorn Dunkerbeck who won 13 consecutive World Championships might have a slightly better claim to that one.

But yeah, an awesome charater whose determination is nothing short of phenomenal...

;->

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 5:20 am

I totally, totally agree with Eric. Long Live Lance, what a wonderful guy.(Could be cos I've got an Ironman as a hubby and he's his hero too!!!)

mysterioso

Postby mysterioso » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 7:56 am

Never did he demonstrate his fine character more than when he left his wife after she helped him beat cancer. That took ball.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 8:20 am

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 24 May 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Wed, 20 Apr 2005 4:57 pm

Yes, true, that did rankle when he left his wife and twins. It appeared to be the case, she helps him beat cancer, then he gets well, and leaves.

But it can never be as simple as that, can it?

There must have strains on their relationship previous to the illness. After all, he's a driven guy and she knew that was how he earned his living.

And having such a serious illness, facing the prospect of death? Who can tell what that would do to anyone's psyche?

It must, God Forbid that we ever find out, make you want to take complete stock of everything you've done, worked for, believed or aspired to.

I think it was more a case of him having to face the Grim Reaper at close quarters and thinking 'Is this what I really want from life now I know how quickly it can be taken away from me?'

Yes, it was hard of him, and women especially will think badly of him.

But let's not forget what fantastic sporting achievements this guy has overcome, plus he did it with testicular cancer, so on two counts he should be an inspiration to all of us.

Yes, his personal life was mucky at that time, but he still loves his kids and looks after them, it happens and is sad, but I don't think it should colour all our perceptions of him.

Bubbs

Doctor

Postby Doctor » Mon, 25 Apr 2005 5:47 pm

Armstrong was taking steroids, masked as legitimate treatment drugs for his testicular cancer. You can imagine the size of his testicles and the amount of testosterone he was producing. The net effect of the steroids and the massive testosterone tuned him into a veritable superman. He left the wife cos she couldn't keep up with his marathon sessions when he rode her like a bicycle

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Tue, 26 Apr 2005 4:56 pm

Oh 'Doctor'

Careful, do you have proof of this as if you do many of his winners' medals would be wiped?

I'd like to see proof that this was the case. And as for his 'private' life, did his wife ever publicly state that this was the case?

All 'driven' humans can sometimes be unlikeable, and that is how they get results very often, but please do not belittle his wonderful successes.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 26 Apr 2005 5:31 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Tue, 23 May 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Wed, 27 Apr 2005 3:19 pm

seraphim wrote:Anyone know where I can get hold of one of those 'Live strong' bracelets? really wanted one for the longest time..... :?

Jus got to Yahoo Auction, search for Lance, you will see alot for sale. very cheap as well.

Return to “General Discussions”