Singapore Expats Forum

Dynamic Accountant Seeking Employment

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Donald

Dynamic Accountant Seeking Employment

Postby Donald » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:00 am

Hi,

I am a CIMA qualified accountant from the UK with about 5 years finance experience within MNC's. I've been in Singapore for six weeks and although there appear to be a vast number of jobs that I would, based on my CV, be qualified for I am finding it difficult to get an interview. Has anybody got any suggestions or contacts that would be of any use?

Thanks
Donald

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:19 am

Are you here on a social visit pass right now? If yes, that is part of the problem. There will be quite a few locals and PR's with good skills, and a hiring company doesn't have to fiddle with an employment pass.

What sort of industry experience? Extraction, pharmaceuticals, electronics, manufacturing, finance? Those are the biggies here.

Are your salary expectations realistic? Gone are the days of slatheringly generous expat packages... except perhaps for the top layers.

Donald

Postby Donald » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:47 am

Thanks for the reply,

I am on a social visit pass at present, however this will be changing to a dependancy pass as my partner is about to start working in Singapore. - Does this make a difference?

My experience in industry is with HP (electonics sector) and Scottish & Newcastle (Product Consumable sector). I have held various roles in finance functions within these companies, ranging from management accounting to financial analyst roles serving both manufacturing and sales divisions.

My salary expectation is between $4,000 and $5,000, however I'm happy to negotiate on this as I don't have great knowledge of current market rates in Singapore. - Are these expectations realistic?

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 1:21 pm

Hi,
I was in the same boat as you - Accountant on social visit pass looking for work in Singapore. I was actively applying for jobs posted on the career section of the Straits Times (Sat paper) and on internet (www.jobsdb.com). I suggest you contact the recruitment agents. Just get their numbers from their websites and call them.
Singaporean agents are - Hudson, Robert Walters, GMP recruitment, Recruit Express etc
Good luck
Ad