Singapore Expats Forum

How are African Americans treated?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
jpatokal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Sat, 07 Oct 2006 6:48 pm

Drop into the Beaujolais Wine Bar in Chinatown, it's run by a couple of lovely French "chocolate" ladies.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

User avatar
vjsimon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun, 05 Mar 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby vjsimon » Wed, 11 Oct 2006 1:01 pm

French chocolate ladies??? :???:

mini_belle
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 05 Jan 2008
Location: clementi

hair care

Postby mini_belle » Sat, 05 Jan 2008 4:37 pm

nickyt30 wrote:Thanks for your response......

I am not sure if you are male or female. However, do you know if hairdressers in Singapore can assist black women with their hair care? If you have some knowledge of this, please let me know.

Your assistance is appreciated.


Hiya... just wondering if you hadany luck in locating a haidresser i'd like to get my hair braided or as a last resort relaxed.

thanks
xoxo

Qua5ar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2007
Location: London

Postby Qua5ar » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 2:17 am

Hiya to all but specially to mini_belle and nickyt30, did you have any joy locating a hairdresser for black hair at all?

I fly out to Singapore tomorrow but just had my hair done in London and it'll be nice to know there are black hair salons available, otherwise I'll be planning a return trip to London in the next couple of months or so just to get m hair done :lol:

Regards,
It's not denial!
I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

vandy
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2008
Location: California, USA

Postby vandy » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 9:40 am

I would think that a person would consider how he or she will be treated in another country long before seeking employment there. If you are worried about being treated poorly or stared at because of the way you look, then stay at home. :roll:

I have spent time in Korea (1 year) and China (2 weeks) and was frequently stared at. Who cares? I also spent 2 months working in Bolivia. Never was I harrassed or matreated in any of these countries. The only people who have ever mistreated me are fellow Americans, white & black.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 9:56 am

vandy wrote:I would think that a person would consider how he or she will be treated in another country long before seeking employment there. If you are worried about being treated poorly or stared at because of the way you look, then stay at home.


vandy,

Think about what you are saying. As an American you are hated by everybody in the world at the moment (race not withstanding). Should all Americans stay at home then? :P

:roll:

vandy
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2008
Location: California, USA

Postby vandy » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As an American you are hated by everybody in the world at the moment (race not withstanding).


You don't really believe that nonsense do you?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:02 am

vandy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As an American you are hated by everybody in the world at the moment (race not withstanding).


You don't really believe that nonsense do you?


You should really get out more often. If nothing else, read more than than just San Francisco Bay Chronicle.

I don't have to "believe" I'm AM an American and I've lived as a Expatriate for 25 years since 1982. Want to compare notes?

vandy
Member
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon, 07 Jan 2008
Location: California, USA

Postby vandy » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 1:16 am

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I must still disagree with you even though you have lived overseas far more than me.

First, it would be hard for me to believe that you have spent 25 years as an expat in a hateful environment. I am sure that the fact you have spent so long over there is that you like the people and they like you.

In my limited overseas experiences, I have always been treated very well and have always been able to make friends among the "hateful" natives.

Now, I will agree that a large percentage of the world dislikes and even hates our current government. (Personally, I am not overly fond of what our govermnet does at times.) Of course, this hatred that others have for our government comes in many respects from them only reading their own country's propaganda. The relatively few that really do hate the American people themselves do so due to a fanaticism caused by listening to someone who has their head gear wrapped way too tightly.

BTW, I do not live in SF, so I do not read that paper.

Let me finish with this thought. As someone who has spent as much time as you over there and being the moderator of this board, your knowledge and expertise is something that I will no doubt be able to learn from and I appreciate the dialogue. Yet, I remain firm in my belief that we are not hated as much as you believe we are.

Indigoazure
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri, 18 Jan 2008

Postby Indigoazure » Fri, 18 Jan 2008 5:29 am

I'm glad I've had the chance to have a friend from Singapore when I lived in Seattle who spent a great deal of time, telling me about it. She was a really cool person. She didn't have any negative thoughts and attitudes about any particular race prior to arriving (this may have been a consious effort on her part but still she didn't give the impression that this was a concern in Singapore and was always telling me about the diverse racial makeup of the country). It wasn't until she moved here did she struggle with having to experience a racial dynamic on the level it is in the US and ended up going back (The final straw was when she tried to adopt a black child and was denied for no good reason). I'm looking forward to trying to make the move to Singapore.

For those of you who need it, I'll relax your hair for cheap. :) hahahaha I have dreadlocs but I still know how to slap some poisonous chemicals on other people's hair. :) Just having some fun. :)

TW
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu, 17 Jan 2008

Postby TW » Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:38 pm

vandy wrote:I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I must still disagree with you even though you have lived overseas far more than me.

First, it would be hard for me to believe that you have spent 25 years as an expat in a hateful environment. I am sure that the fact you have spent so long over there is that you like the people and they like you.

In my limited overseas experiences, I have always been treated very well and have always been able to make friends among the "hateful" natives.

Now, I will agree that a large percentage of the world dislikes and even hates our current government. (Personally, I am not overly fond of what our govermnet does at times.) Of course, this hatred that others have for our government comes in many respects from them only reading their own country's propaganda. The relatively few that really do hate the American people themselves do so due to a fanaticism caused by listening to someone who has their head gear wrapped way too tightly.

BTW, I do not live in SF, so I do not read that paper.

Let me finish with this thought. As someone who has spent as much time as you over there and being the moderator of this board, your knowledge and expertise is something that I will no doubt be able to learn from and I appreciate the dialogue. Yet, I remain firm in my belief that we are not hated as much as you believe we are.


hateful environment.
I think what SMS means at the moment, is that because of the over bearing nature of America on the rest of the world, resentment against Americans has increased in most parts of the World.

Being from the UK, I would most certainly agree with him, on the grounds that, our nations are the most dominant players, in the area of peace, and human rights, I guess what SMS is saying is don't be too shocked, if you get some verbal abuse...

I have been only abused once verbally on the bus, with my daughter of 7 years and my wife, although the guy was mentally disturbed, and thought i was American...it was a touch and go situation, whether I would lay him, horizontal or not! Very unpleasant experience, especially for my wife and daughter..

Also in Sim Lim yesterday, I had to walk away from an argument, simply because i don't argue, and if the guy had have kept on shouting crazy tourist, i met have wacked him too!

Some people are just plain arseholes, to put it mildly out, here, because they are backed up by numbers! Little do they understand true warriors...although commonsense rules the day!

So yes the environment can be unfriendly, through ignorance more than anything, just feel you have been enlightend, to the situation, more than believing he was saying, the whole environment....

billturk1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu, 24 Jan 2008
Location: SINGAPORE

Postby billturk1 » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 4:50 pm

As a American who has lived most of the time outside the states since 1973,working worldwide, have to say that

Most people of other nations might HATE the current Us Government Administrators and the President however they also take time to say to me when its discussed, they hate our government but LOVE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

Never have I been treated bad BECAUSE I was a American, and as far as americans being overbearing the worst case of the UGLY EXPAT was a British Subject Chewing out a BA Stew in Spain. in front of about 100 people to the point she was crying.
As a Texan Male, I stepped up and offered to re arrange his face if he did not shut his mouth. If you want to call me ugly for that am proud of it.
Cheers Billturk1
billturk1

User avatar
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1293
Joined: Sat, 06 Oct 2007

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 5:14 pm

I like billturk! :)

User avatar
Superglide
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007
Location: In a spacious appartment

Postby Superglide » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 5:32 pm

Hating the current US government is an understatement.

Loving American people is an exageration.

But it covers the bill.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 9:48 pm

billturk1 wrote:Never have I been treated bad BECAUSE I was a American,


I did a crew change to Balikpapan, Indonesia the day after the US bombed Libya. I spent almost 8 hours standing in the middle of a room in a police station until someone from Union Oil came and greased my way out. Why? Because I had a blue passport with an eagle on the front of it. The last I heard Libya wasn't a province of Indonesia. A lot of individuals in position of power give Americans a hard time because of our government.

You may be correct in saying they don't hate the American public but hate the government but it was a building full of civilians in the WTC wasn't it? It was American sailors on board the USS Cole as well. When they take it out on me as a representative of my government then they hate me as well.

billturk, where in Texas do you hail from? I spent almost 7 years on the other side of the Sabine diving in the GOM.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest