Singapore Expats

How are African Americans treated?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
joslin88

How are African Americans treated?

Post by joslin88 » Sat, 16 Apr 2005 9:09 pm

Oh-forgot to ask...How are African Americans treated/thought of in Sg.? Thank you.

Sonus
Regular
Regular

Re: How are African Americans treated?

Post by Sonus » Sat, 16 Apr 2005 11:09 pm

joslin88 wrote:Oh-forgot to ask...How are African Americans treated/thought of in Sg.? Thank you.
There is nothing particular or unusually treatment against them. Except people will be stealing looks at you on your tall and big frame. Just like those NBA players. My working area got a few Africans walking around.

Post by Guest » Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:04 pm

u may just get a stare or two ....thats about all...

there are so many different races living in singapore....there isn't much racial discrimnation here..

tanusic

Post by tanusic » Tue, 17 May 2005 11:58 am

If you are a guy. I think you will be pretty much popular among local girls. :lol: Had a few black American friends who were admired by locals.
Also have a Nigerian friend and she has never been discriminated by her skin color. Quite the contrary -she was adored!

So, no worries. You will enjoy it here.
Cheers. :D

Guest 2

African-Americans

Post by Guest 2 » Sat, 28 May 2005 7:38 am

People will stare way too much and will ask you things like "What African country are you from".

They will also think that they will know how to do your hair, but can't!

They aren't necessarily rude or mean, but in the U.S., staring at someone is rude. I find it quite annoying, but I just stare back and ask if I can help them.

Localise

Curious Stare

Post by Localise » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 6:10 pm

Some locals have the tendency to give curious stare .... so it is the way things are here.

It is some who come here who are upset over things as such .. that create unneccesary hardship for themselves.

Don't expect others to behave like back home and you are fine. Adapt accordingly.

Re: Curious Stare

Post by Guest » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 8:03 pm

Localise wrote:Some locals have the tendency to give curious stare .... so it is the way things are here.

Adapt accordingly.
When they stare say "U staring at me?" then bash them up!...........it is the way things are done here. Like Localise said, "Adapt accordingly"

Re: Curious Stare

Post by Guest » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 8:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Localise wrote:Some locals have the tendency to give curious stare .... so it is the way things are here.

Adapt accordingly.
When they stare say "U staring at me?" then bash them up!...........it is the way things are done here. Like Localise said, "Adapt accordingly"
By all means, don't stare back at anybody, especially a group of youngsters.(those who look like gangsters) You will never know if they will give you trouble. In the past, there were a few incidents of fighting due to a few innocent guys who stared at a group of delinquents. But that was a rare occurence. We have not heard of such fights for a long time.

Anyway, not many people will stare at you, but be prepared for it. Some are just curious about you and that is not discrimination. Try to interact with more locals and you should feel fine.

Post by Guest » Sat, 11 Jun 2005 3:19 am

Lived in Singapore for 4 years and hardly ever saw black people except when the US Navy was on shore leave. When I came back to my country my son saw black person for the first time and assumed he was Indian.

nickyt30

I am Black and moving to Singapore in 12/06

Post by nickyt30 » Thu, 05 Oct 2006 4:07 am

Hello There,

I just saw the message posted by Joslin88. I am a Black female moving with my family to Singpore and am particularly interested in finding a hairdresser who relaxes harir. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Nicole.

fast_dolphin

Post by fast_dolphin » Thu, 05 Oct 2006 10:27 am

contrary to what others have said, you'll have a fairly hard time; especially if you have anything to do with the 'heart-landers' :x

Black skin is seen as culturaly undesirable in the chinese culture (which is the one that dominates singapore) as well as unclean. All rubbish, but you can expect some discrimination, rude comments etc - not physical violence per se, but you'll know what people think of you... put it that way....

nickyt30

Post by nickyt30 » Thu, 05 Oct 2006 9:26 pm

Thanks for your response......

I am not sure if you are male or female. However, do you know if hairdressers in Singapore can assist black women with their hair care? If you have some knowledge of this, please let me know.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Florian
Regular
Regular

Post by Florian » Fri, 06 Oct 2006 1:45 pm

Hi there,

I am white and the people stare...

You are black and the people stare.

We are not Asian so the people stare!

Nobody will attack you or anything.

Nonsense!
Das Leben ist schoen!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 06 Oct 2006 5:35 pm

nickyt30 wrote:Thanks for your response......

I am not sure if you are male or female. However, do you know if hairdressers in Singapore can assist black women with their hair care? If you have some knowledge of this, please let me know.

Your assistance is appreciated.
I guess your best lead would be through your embassy, I'm sure their are one or two Black women here that can do hair, even if they are not professional, it's all team work, and you will get by the best you can.

Welcome to Singapore! You will be most welcome here, it is against the law to make any remarks, that would cause racial tension, people are normally jailed for a month or two.

It's quite effective, and to be honest it is probably worse in your own Country, take it has it comes you''ll be fine, just hold your own!

24k.ra

Post by 24k.ra » Fri, 06 Oct 2006 8:14 pm

Hi all,

my first post... I will be on Singapore in some months. I'm french with a chocolate skin...There aren't discriminations???? :o And the french chocolate people :D How are they considered?

Thankssssssss