Singapore Expats

How are African Americans treated?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
billturk1

Post by billturk1 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 8:30 am

Strange you said something about the bombing in libya, worked there and also bontang indonesia,still not a problem with the eagle on the passport.
I always said if you treat people with respect they will most likely do likewise.
worked in lovely spots that are noted for anti american,syria,libya 2 times,angola,saudi,turkey,Russia (Tbilisi Georgia),Moscow,Indonesia,Bandar Shahpour Iran,Nantong China last year,and if the people of those places had a problem with me as a American they hid it quite well.
And again, inclined to hate the us government reps (the bush wacker) sometimes myself but still love the USA.
9/11 was the act of the nutcase bin laden not a nation but one sick dude.
And when the USS Cole came under fire, the USA should have had the conchos to wipe out the country that allowed it, it was a act of war,but the president at that thime did not have the guts. If Johnson or Truman was there Oman would now be a extension of the indian ocean.they would have nuked it.

From CENTERVILLE TEXAS, YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
billturk1

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 8:44 am

billturk1 wrote:If Johnson or Truman was there Oman would now be a extension of the indian ocean.they would have nuked it.

From CENTERVILLE TEXAS, YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OK, now I'm not so sure I love billturk... :roll:

billturk1

Post by billturk1 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:09 am

sorry, perhaps i got carried away....love the us and always will
and proud to be american, but it rips me to see what has happened to the wonderiful america the beautiful I was raised in, fought for and bled for (viet nam ),alas,not the same place I grew up in where men were men of honor,ladies were ladies and john wayne and apple pie ruled,not dope and crime.

have a awsome day
billturk1 :wink:
billturk1

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:28 am

billturk1 wrote:sorry, perhaps i got carried away....love the us and always will
and proud to be american, but it rips me to see what has happened to the wonderiful america the beautiful I was raised in, fought for and bled for (viet nam ),alas,not the same place I grew up in where men were men of honor,ladies were ladies and john wayne and apple pie ruled,not dope and crime.

have a awsome day
billturk1 :wink:
OK, that part I get, but nuking Oman? Ya, a little over-the-top I would say.

billturk1

Post by billturk1 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:45 am

DETERRANT
guess thats what I was getting at, if only a president like Truman or LBJ was in office they WOULD NOT HAVE TRIED IT ON THE COLE because they would have known that the president would not have thought twice about nuking them. So it would never have taken place.
Whereas with the dudes in office now, they know they can do anything and our wimpy president will not retialate direct.
THE EXISTANCE OF THAT FEAR OF THE US HITTING BACK TO THE COUNTRY WOULD STOP IT.

So no, would not condone nuking the people, however all nations shold fear retialation if they attack the usa and Oman should not have allowed it to take place. Hope this rambling makes some sense.
billturk
billturk1

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:02 am

I was about 175 miles NW of Centerville for my primary flight training at Ft. Wolters (Mineral Wells) in 1965. So like you, I've done my time as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:37 pm

billturk1 wrote:DETERRANT
guess thats what I was getting at, if only a president like Truman or LBJ was in office they WOULD NOT HAVE TRIED IT ON THE COLE because they would have known that the president would not have thought twice about nuking them. So it would never have taken place.
Whereas with the dudes in office now, they know they can do anything and our wimpy president will not retialate direct.
THE EXISTANCE OF THAT FEAR OF THE US HITTING BACK TO THE COUNTRY WOULD STOP IT.

So no, would not condone nuking the people, however all nations shold fear retialation if they attack the usa and Oman should not have allowed it to take place. Hope this rambling makes some sense.
billturk
I personally feel that you are ranting for the sake of ranting, and the background of the bombing of HMS cole....

On March 14, 2007, a federal judge in the United States, Robert Doumar ruled that the Sudanese government was liable for the bombing.[4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Cole_bombing, is not so easy to lay the blame at anyones doorstep...So your gung ho attitude, is hardly one of respect..

The insurgency by the NFL in Aden back in the early 60's will tell the story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aden

HMS Cole, should never have let the boat approach in the first place, it should have been intercept.

And to rant on about nukeing, only reflects, your over enthusiastic arrogance, and disrespect for anyone else, which has lead to Americas failure more than just once around the world...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam

America have thrown every other technolgy they had, other than nukes at their enemies, and have failed....to pick a fight with terrorism, like the UK did for 30 years, will also cost the lives of many young naive Americans, British and Europeans.

Vietnam was another disaster in the making, where American politicians wanted to make a name for themselves, no matter what or where, the trouble is...there will always be a cost factor, the lives of those doing the dirty work.
One should respect the dead, and their families, because they are the ones, that are suffering, for their Country and are always neglected, by their Country too ....

The good ole Texan Cowboys...kick arse, attitude maybe a positive shout, but that's about all it is!

In my opinion many have fallen for nothing, the only thing that changes, is more resentment, and you may well have worked around the world, and been lucky enough, not to have been the target.....You know, like all the others, that like to shout their heroic deeds, of I've done this and I've done that, So what, what is it your trying to prove, that there is no risk to Americans. Like there was no risk, to the HMS cole! Wake up for god sake!

Your talking about the NFL around the world here, and anyone no matter who, can be fodder, for their cause!

I'll let you into a small secret, if your in their back yard, respect doesn't come into it, if you have been travelling within the oil sector in risk areas, then you have had your protection or just been darn lucky.

I was once caught out, with four other Brits in an IRA pub in Armagh..and their reply was, you are a cocky bunch of lads, that think your Country rules, and can walk where you like, but here you are surrounded....It's not that it is personal, because it isn't, but the fight must go on!

So next time, don't get caught, with your pants down!
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:53 pm

KSL, can it be that you are taking billturk's post a little too seriously and are in fact ranting a bit yourself?

:roll:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:57 pm

road.not.taken wrote:KSL, can it be that you are taking billturk's post a little too seriously and are in fact ranting a bit yourself?

:roll:
Well yes I suppose, you maybe right, although i don't think its anything to joke about, I have lost many good friends over the years, to terrorism, and believe me, it will only hit you, when you least expect it! So no matter where in the world you travel, their is risks, and it would be very wrong, to ignore those risks...although I'm not saying it should effect ones lifestyle in a big way, it just pays off, to be aware of your surroundings.
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 5:59 pm

Point taken, but there's a time and a place, no?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:01 pm

road.not.taken wrote:Point taken, but there's a time and a place, no?
:???: Don't fully get your point! Other than it was he, who changed the subject!

For African Americans, I would say, this place is no different then any other place in the world, there are nice people and arse holes, and it doesn't matter how good one mixes, there will always be someone, that doesn't like you, and you may have to deal with it.
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:10 pm

I just meant that billturk's post is basically a light-hearted one, while loud in a, as you say, 'gung ho' Texan kind of way and is probably not the perfect opportunity to get into a lengthy discussion of the failings of America's post WWII geopolitcal policies.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 6:25 pm

road.not.taken wrote:I just meant that billturk's post is basically a light-hearted one, while loud in a, as you say, 'gung ho' Texan kind of way and is probably not the perfect opportunity to get into a lengthy discussion of the failings of America's post WWII geopolitcal policies.
Well yes I guess you are right there, but I wasn't really aiming at politics, rather, saying that, it's best to understand your surroundings, because you never know, when you might have to deal, with uncomfortable situations, especially when alone!

It very rarely would happen in numbers, always when alone, and you can be respectful all you like, it just doesn't wash, you have to deal with it, and the best way is probably to walk away from it rather than get into any discussion.

I have seen a Singaporean group, actually challenge an American, on his way out from Chijmes, he was quite shocked, being 6ft 5 or so..he told me, the group were sat next to him and some other expats having banter.

The singaporeans asked them to be a bit more quite, but they ignored them, when he left the table he was followed and then challenged to fight, over the disturbance, it can happen so easy, when you are not in your own backyard, that is my point!

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 1:31 pm

true, true

so speaking of changing the subject, you mentioned the NFL, so focus on good thoughts, the Super Bowl is a week away!
ksl wrote:
road.not.taken wrote:Point taken, but there's a time and a place, no?
:???: Don't fully get your point! Other than it was he, who changed the subject!

For African Americans, I would say, this place is no different then any other place in the world, there are nice people and arse holes, and it doesn't matter how good one mixes, there will always be someone, that doesn't like you, and you may have to deal with it.

bohemianchic

Re: hair care

Post by bohemianchic » Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:36 pm

mini_belle wrote:
nickyt30 wrote:Thanks for your response......

I am not sure if you are male or female. However, do you know if hairdressers in Singapore can assist black women with their hair care? If you have some knowledge of this, please let me know.

Your assistance is appreciated.
Hiya... just wondering if you hadany luck in locating a haidresser i'd like to get my hair braided or as a last resort relaxed.

thanks
Hi mini_belle and nickyt30

I know a couple of African ladies that are into hairdressing. One does braids and such while the other does relaxing, braids and just about it all. They both work from home though.

Let me know if you still need to find a hairdresser and I'll give you their contacts. email me at [email protected]