Singapore Expats

How are African Americans treated?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
calamine

Post by calamine » Tue, 20 Jan 2009 9:54 pm

Singapore is a multi-racial country and it is a conservative one. There is not much racism against the african race. However, in the heartlands, you may have a few stares because you stand out in the asian crowd!

TexasBrown

Black American Women

Post by TexasBrown » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 7:05 pm

Are there any African American women in Singapore? This is like the twilight zone or something!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 7:09 pm

There is one couple in my condo, I would have thought the American club would be the first port of call?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Black American Women

Post by ksl » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 7:24 pm

TexasBrown wrote:Are there any African American women in Singapore? This is like the twilight zone or something!
There is quite a few i have seen at Marina parade, they beam them down now and again. Don't see many, but American club would be the starting point of any night out i would think.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Apr 2009 8:43 pm

This is, after all, an Asian country, so I suspect you would probably find Black Americans in the same venues as you would find White Americans doncha think? It's not like there's a plethora of clubs catering to a specific non-Asian culture. Footy culture sure, sports bars yeah, Asian ethnic bars lots. White bars? Well, you might claim Handlebar or some of the Clubs in the two quays but seriously, I can only think of ONE black oriented club and that's out near Mustafa's and it's primarily a Black African Kopitiam. Don't know of the actual name or location though so you might have to ask around. Lots of Indian clubs that might be a draw as the younger Indian identify with the US black rap culture courtesy of MTV.

Check out the threads here for hairdressers. You should pick up a few nicks here. Although I'm not sure which gender they were as cornrows were popular with both at times.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 9:46 am

Are there any African American women in Singapore? This is like the twilight zone or something!
Coming from Hotlanta; the lack of African people has been very noticable to us. We miss our african american brothers and sisters...

Welcome to Singapore!
Pakjohn

TexasBrown

Definitely not in Texas anymore

Post by TexasBrown » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 11:57 am

PakJohn, thanks for the support. Sounds like I better get the ESPN sports package and beef up my novel collection. It's going to be a long hot extended 365 day summer.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Sun, 26 Apr 2009 4:36 pm

No problem TexasBrown, if I can be of help just p.m.

I've been able to catch a few braves games on some of the free streaming TV channels, but bandwidth is so tight it's sketchy. (Not to mention I catch heat for being a bandwidth hog.)
Pakjohn

jordansudan

I know a few African Americans here...

Post by jordansudan » Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:58 pm

I've been here since August 08 and I've met a few. I myself am a African American female from New York. I've met most through friends or mostly walking around the city center.

emsng

Post by emsng » Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:48 pm

Hi, i'd like to meet up with black americans/ africans in Singapore. Pls contact me at [email protected]. I can't post in details due to admin moderation. Pls email me & i'll reply. Pls contact me soon! Thanks!

Ebony Chic

Re: Black American Women

Post by Ebony Chic » Mon, 13 Jul 2009 5:43 pm

TexasBrown wrote:Are there any African American women in Singapore? This is like the twilight zone or something!
Hi TexasBrown,

I'm African American. I also know one or two others living here. Occasionally I meet some who are on a stopover and work for the US army. But besides that, not many.

TexasBrown

Thanks Ebony Chick

Post by TexasBrown » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 5:50 am

Thanks Ebony Chic. I've pretty much given up on that dream. It's all work and count down until I'm back in the States.

TexasBrown

Post by TexasBrown » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 5:58 am

Emsng,

If you have any luck finding the few of us actually living in Singapore, shoot me an email at [email protected]. I'm game for an outing.

Blazin Asian

Hey everybody!

Post by Blazin Asian » Wed, 05 Aug 2009 2:37 pm

Would love to meet African Americans to hang out with. Miss my friends from Atlanta now that i have moved back to singapore. email me at [email protected] or text me at 8265-2467
LIVE...LAUGH...DANCE

joliefemme536

Post by joliefemme536 » Mon, 21 Sep 2009 9:54 am

I'm Black American and will be moving to Singapore on Mar 1st 2010 from Texas. I was supposed to move in July of '09 but unexpected things happened. Anywoo, hope to meet some of you soon!

Jennifer

[email protected]
Jennifer