Singapore Expats Forum

Smoking

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

delarue

Smoking

Postby delarue » Sun, 30 May 2004 5:51 am

Hi all,

About smoking, I know that it's permitted in air-conditioned pubs, discos, karaoke bars and nightspot. But is it permitted as well in an open space, such as street, public park, for example ?

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pal » Sun, 30 May 2004 9:51 am

Street and public carpark is fine.

It is not permitted in air-conditioned places. (except hotels, pubs, disco, karaoke)
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

IZY

Smoking

Postby IZY » Mon, 31 May 2004 3:06 pm

Inside, general rule = if there is an ashtray, you can smoke. Just ask!
Outside, you cannot smoke in queues (i.e. taxi queues / bus queues). You can smoke pretty much anywhere bar that - as long as you do not inconvenience others (i.e. it's unreasonable to expect someone to leave a queue to get some fresh air). Most bins have ashtrays on the top...

delarue

Postby delarue » Mon, 31 May 2004 5:45 pm

IZY, Pal, thanks for your info.
What about in a street ?
As a tourist, if I walk in a street, am I permitted ? If in a restaurant is not, can I smoke outside that restaurant ( still in a street ) ? If there is no ashtray on top of a bin in a street, can I still permitted ?
Thanks.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pal » Mon, 31 May 2004 8:35 pm

delarue wrote:IZY, Pal, thanks for your info.
What about in a street ?
As a tourist, if I walk in a street, am I permitted ? If in a restaurant is not, can I smoke outside that restaurant ( still in a street ) ? If there is no ashtray on top of a bin in a street, can I still permitted ?
Thanks.

Rule of thumb:

You CAN smoke at anywhere that is NOT air-conditioned, including all unsheltered places. (except if you are in a queue)

You CANNOT smoke at any indoor building that is air-conditoned, including cinemas, shopping centres, offices, etc. (except if you are in a pub, bar, disco, karaoke)

Cheers!
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

bangal

Postby bangal » Thu, 04 Aug 2005 9:51 am

I would suggests that the Ministry of Environment also ban people from smoking at the entrance of office and commercial building as many office workers like to congregate there to smoke, the worst thing is the dustin is placed at the entrance of the building and give the impression to smokers that it is legal to smoke there.

Please do something about it as the entrance is where people walk in and out of the building .