Singapore Expats

is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
User avatar
mohd.shan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2023 9:08 pm

is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by mohd.shan » Sun, 19 May 2024 2:39 pm

Hi! I am PR and my wife staying here on short term pass and currently 6 months pregnant. I tried apply long term pass for her using Singapore doctor letter but keep on getting rejected.

On ICA website, have one section where you can apply for permission to give birth but when you click apply, it will bring you to apply Long term pass application. Useless to apply again since already reject.

Is it possible for her to give birth in Singapore on short term social pass? anybody had done it before? Please advise. Thanks

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9089
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Sinkapore

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 21 May 2024 5:34 pm

Yes but the baby will have no rights to anything and in fact you have to get the child a passport as well may be very difficult and could take time. Will the child have citizenship under you or your wife?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bxagw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:05 pm

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by bxagw » Thu, 23 May 2024 12:27 pm

You must consider the cost of give birth as well. If there is no complication the cost already around between 5,000 to 13,000. Shall the baby or mom has complication, the number can be astronomical. Around 2010 I witnessed this Malaysian couple facing 80,000 bill for around 1week stay due to baby had complication and need to be warded at ICU. Husband work here on WP and wife on social visit pass, I'm not sure what happened to them as at that time there were no crowdfunding and such.

User avatar
mohd.shan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2023 9:08 pm

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by mohd.shan » Thu, 23 May 2024 1:12 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 21 May 2024 5:34 pm
Yes but the baby will have no rights to anything and in fact you have to get the child a passport as well may be very difficult and could take time. Will the child have citizenship under you or your wife?
Yes, need to get passport within 42 days or something. Will follow her mother citizenship.

It happen to my younger brother before but now he is citizenship on Singapore after his NS but than again that happen donkey years ago.

User avatar
mohd.shan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2023 9:08 pm

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by mohd.shan » Thu, 23 May 2024 1:14 pm

bxagw wrote:
Thu, 23 May 2024 12:27 pm
You must consider the cost of give birth as well. If there is no complication the cost already around between 5,000 to 13,000. Shall the baby or mom has complication, the number can be astronomical. Around 2010 I witnessed this Malaysian couple facing 80,000 bill for around 1week stay due to baby had complication and need to be warded at ICU. Husband work here on WP and wife on social visit pass, I'm not sure what happened to them as at that time there were no crowdfunding and such.

Yes, I can use my CPF for her delivery but worry of complication also as this think cannot be predicted. Can buy insurance for her but not cheap, cost around $900 per month for 1 year. I think the coverage is for $1 million.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9089
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Sinkapore

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 23 May 2024 1:32 pm

It's too late for insurance. You should have bought it well before she fell pregnant.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 May 2024 3:54 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 23 May 2024 1:32 pm
It's too late for insurance. You should have bought it well before she fell pregnant.
To be fair sometimes these things are hard to anticipate, especially if the pregnancy was unplanned. That said one should always have insurance.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 May 2024 3:56 pm

mohd.shan wrote:
Sun, 19 May 2024 2:39 pm
Hi! I am PR and my wife staying here on short term pass and currently 6 months pregnant. I tried apply long term pass for her using Singapore doctor letter but keep on getting rejected.

On ICA website, have one section where you can apply for permission to give birth but when you click apply, it will bring you to apply Long term pass application. Useless to apply again since already reject.

Is it possible for her to give birth in Singapore on short term social pass? anybody had done it before? Please advise. Thanks
Literally speaking, yes she can. If she goes into labor while here, there's nothing that can be done. That said I'm sure you're aware that there will be a myriad of complications associated with delivering here, both financially speaking and citizenship wise.

User avatar
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2673
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 8
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by malcontent » Fri, 24 May 2024 1:12 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 May 2024 3:54 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 23 May 2024 1:32 pm
It's too late for insurance. You should have bought it well before she fell pregnant.
To be fair sometimes these things are hard to anticipate, especially if the pregnancy was unplanned. That said one should always have insurance.
Abstinence is hard to mess up.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 May 2024 11:37 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 24 May 2024 1:12 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 May 2024 3:54 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 23 May 2024 1:32 pm
It's too late for insurance. You should have bought it well before she fell pregnant.
To be fair sometimes these things are hard to anticipate, especially if the pregnancy was unplanned. That said one should always have insurance.
Abstinence is hard to mess up.
LOL! The only birth control that's 100% effective. Except immaculate conception.

sliverchair13
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 2:04 pm

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by sliverchair13 » Fri, 24 May 2024 4:11 pm

If flying back home, your wife need a note from a doctor that she's safe for air trave.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40448
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 May 2024 1:25 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 24 May 2024 11:37 am
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 24 May 2024 1:12 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 May 2024 3:54 pm


To be fair sometimes these things are hard to anticipate, especially if the pregnancy was unplanned. That said one should always have insurance.
Abstinence is hard to mess up.
LOL! The only birth control that's 100% effective. Except immaculate conception.
Isn't that the truth! :shock:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 May 2024 12:22 pm

sliverchair13 wrote:
Fri, 24 May 2024 4:11 pm
If flying back home, your wife need a note from a doctor that she's safe for air trave.
And some doctors won't grant the note even if she's within the "safe range". I've seen it before.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: is it possbile to give birth on social visit pass

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 May 2024 12:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 25 May 2024 1:25 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 24 May 2024 11:37 am
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 24 May 2024 1:12 am


Abstinence is hard to mess up.
LOL! The only birth control that's 100% effective. Except immaculate conception.
Isn't that the truth! :shock:
Can't argue with the good book! LOL

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron13579 and 12 guests