Singapore Expats Forum

Interview w/ International School--HELP!!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:08 pm

I have an interview at one of the internatinal schools in their elementary school. I taught for 12 years in the USA & did relief/substitue teaching in OZ for 4 years. Can anyone offer any sort of suggestions on the interview process as it has been awhile for me? Suggestions on what to wear or anything else would be greatly appreciated. I don't think I have much of a chance as I am an "older" teacher, but think the experience will be good for me! Very nervous about all this, H-E-L-P!

Ex Teacher

Postby Ex Teacher » Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:33 pm

Hi for starters, read up on the school and its system, ie the curriculum, profile of the students and teachers. They should have a website?

Don't worry about being an older teacher cos even in government schools here, teachers are getting increasingly older. Unlike in the past where most if not all teachers joined the profession straight out of school, many now go into teaching after having worked at other jobs for a number of years. What you have to offer includes maturity and experience, which a young graduate may not necessarily have.

Err on the side of caution and dress conservatively. If it's not feasible for you to wear a smart jacket to the interview cos of the crazy weather, bring one along with you and put it on before you proceed to the interview. Smile and project confidence but not cockiness.

Good Luck!! :)

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 18 Apr 2005 6:30 pm

Just FYI--I went for my interview today and was basically offered a job on the spot. I just to need to fill out all the paper work, the school will take care of the work permit part, and I decide what grade level I would like to start in.

I was given the opportunity to relief teacher asap, which I thought would be a good idea. Being older wasn't a problem, in fact it may have helped, as well as my masters degree.

Anyway, I just needed to tell someone as Hubby is away.
:wink:

Ex Teacher

Postby Ex Teacher » Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:07 pm

Hey congratulations! Am happy for you. :wink: