Singapore Expats Forum

Student in a Top US university-Seeking Job in HR

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

RT

Student in a Top US university-Seeking Job in HR

Postby RT » Wed, 13 Apr 2005 4:35 am

Hi,
I would be relocating to Singapore in July 2005. I would be a dependant on my husband. I would be looking for employment in the area of Human Resources.
I am currently pursuing my master's degree in Human Resources from a top US university.

I need your help in what would be a smart strategy to land a job here.
Thanks.

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Wed, 13 Apr 2005 9:17 am

I would suggest getting some industry experience in the US before coming over. Once you have some experience, you're more employable. Also, after you've worked in an industry, you could also consider working as a recruitment consultant. They tend to look for people with industry experience.
Otherwise, you'll have to compete with the many thousands of non-exp graduates in Singapore to secure a job. And the pay for a grad is pretty poor.

Postby Guest » Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:18 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I have about one and a half years of industry experience in India and almost 9 months work experience in the US as an intern. I hope internship experience is counted as work-ex in Singapore.
Also, is there anything that I can do before July so that I can get a headstart in job search?

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:30 am

July is a bit far to make your intentions known to recruitment agents here in Spore. They tend to be less interested in you until they know youre in Spore in person.
You can try looking for work directly by applying for jobs posted on the www.jobsdb.com website. Call up the agents when youre in Spore. They'll want to meet you to get a feel for your exp and credentials then.

cheers
ad