Singapore Expats

PR Application Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
realtheory
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 3:35 pm

PR Application Chances

Post by realtheory » Wed, 03 Jan 2024 4:33 pm

I found this forum and everyone seems super helpful. I've just submitted my PR application, but I've been told to expect at least one rejection, so just hoping for useful advice on how to continue improving my chances for the next submission.

Myself:
Nationality: Filipino
Place of Birth: Philippines
Race: Chinese (on EP) - HK Mother, PRC Xiamen Grandfather (Father born in Phils), speaks Mandarin/Hokkien
Gender: Male
Age: 31 Years Old
Marital Status: Married
Salary: $21k fixed salary per month, reflected in 2 years of NOA, grew from 8k -> 10k -> 15k -> 21k during time in Singapore
Pass: Personalised Employment Pass (converted from EP during shaky job market 2023)
Education: Dual Bachelor's from top Philippine University
Work: Software Engineer in Finance and Cybersecurity
Stay in Singapore: 3 years from 2016, returned after marriage and pandemic lifted in Jan 2022 up to present

Wife:
Nationality : Filipino
Place of Birth: Philippines
Race: Chinese (on DP) - HK Mother, PRC (Fujian) Father, can speak Hokkien
Gender: Female
Age: 32 Years Old
Marital Status: Married
Pass: Defendant's Pass
Education: Dual Bachelor's from a top Philippine University (same as mine)
Background: Accounting and Finance, but on a break since giving birth
Stay in Singapore: Jan 2022 up to present

Child:
Nationality: Filipino
Place of Birth: Singapore
Race: Chinese (on Singaporean birth certificate)
Gender: Female
Age: 1.5 years old
Stay in Singapore: 1.5 years (since birth)

Other things we have done:
- Moved most savings over in the form of long term investments for home purchase, enough to buy a decent 3BR condo (as HDB income ceiling also applies to resale now + 3 year wait period for new PR).
- Maxed out SRS contributions to "catch up" with people who were on CPF system since start of career
- Secured life, health, and accident insurance separate from employer-provided insurance to show we will not be burdens to social services

I've always found Singapore to be much closer to my cultural upbringing than the Philippines itself or even PRC given how much it has changed. I know that beyond stability and economic prospects ICA is looking for cultural integration, but I'm not sure how to demonstrate that beyond just the above.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 894
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 8:43 pm
Answers: 2

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 03 Jan 2024 8:55 pm

The moment you leave Singapore, the time you spend in SG is reset to zero. ICA doesn’t take into account that you were here from 2016 to 2019. So yes, there might be a rejection.

However, you’re on PEP which could work in your favour since those on PEP are encouraged to apply for PR.

Won’t know till the result is out. You’re worrying too early. Just relax and wait lah. What’s done is done. Go and live your life while your application is being processed.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 12:33 pm

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by JWNYsg » Wed, 03 Jan 2024 9:42 pm

Good luck with your application

20characters
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 2:30 pm

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by 20characters » Wed, 10 Jan 2024 8:09 pm

realtheory wrote:
Wed, 03 Jan 2024 4:33 pm
I found this forum and everyone seems super helpful. I've just submitted my PR application, but I've been told to expect at least one rejection, so just hoping for useful advice on how to continue improving my chances for the next submission.

Myself:
Nationality: Filipino
Place of Birth: Philippines
Race: Chinese (on EP) - HK Mother, PRC Xiamen Grandfather (Father born in Phils), speaks Mandarin/Hokkien
Gender: Male
Age: 31 Years Old
Marital Status: Married
Salary: $21k fixed salary per month, reflected in 2 years of NOA, grew from 8k -> 10k -> 15k -> 21k during time in Singapore
Pass: Personalised Employment Pass (converted from EP during shaky job market 2023)
Education: Dual Bachelor's from top Philippine University
Work: Software Engineer in Finance and Cybersecurity
Stay in Singapore: 3 years from 2016, returned after marriage and pandemic lifted in Jan 2022 up to present

Wife:
Nationality : Filipino
Place of Birth: Philippines
Race: Chinese (on DP) - HK Mother, PRC (Fujian) Father, can speak Hokkien
Gender: Female
Age: 32 Years Old
Marital Status: Married
Pass: Defendant's Pass
Education: Dual Bachelor's from a top Philippine University (same as mine)
Background: Accounting and Finance, but on a break since giving birth
Stay in Singapore: Jan 2022 up to present

Child:
Nationality: Filipino
Place of Birth: Singapore
Race: Chinese (on Singaporean birth certificate)
Gender: Female
Age: 1.5 years old
Stay in Singapore: 1.5 years (since birth)

Other things we have done:
- Moved most savings over in the form of long term investments for home purchase, enough to buy a decent 3BR condo (as HDB income ceiling also applies to resale now + 3 year wait period for new PR).
- Maxed out SRS contributions to "catch up" with people who were on CPF system since start of career
- Secured life, health, and accident insurance separate from employer-provided insurance to show we will not be burdens to social services

I've always found Singapore to be much closer to my cultural upbringing than the Philippines itself or even PRC given how much it has changed. I know that beyond stability and economic prospects ICA is looking for cultural integration, but I'm not sure how to demonstrate that beyond just the above.
We have very similar profiles:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=134139&p=864059#p864055

We got approved after a 10-month wait. Before applying, my stay in SG was only at 25 months - my wife's was even shorter at only 10 months. I think what got us approved were race, income, age, and education. I'll be very surprised if you get rejected, especially since you already have a child. Good luck! [-o<

realtheory
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 3:35 pm

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by realtheory » Wed, 10 Jan 2024 9:24 pm

20characters wrote:
Wed, 10 Jan 2024 8:09 pm
We have very similar profiles:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=134139&p=864059#p864055

We got approved after a 10-month wait. Before applying, my stay in SG was only at 25 months - my wife's was even shorter at only 10 months. I think what got us approved were race, income, age, and education. I'll be very surprised if you get rejected, especially since you already have a child. Good luck! [-o<
Thank you! That’s super encouraging. I think both of you having advanced degrees is an edge though. I particularly worry about the race part - what did you provide in the application to have your Chinese ancestry registered?

20characters
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 2:30 pm

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by 20characters » Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:03 am

realtheory wrote:
Wed, 10 Jan 2024 9:24 pm
20characters wrote:
Wed, 10 Jan 2024 8:09 pm
We have very similar profiles:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=134139&p=864059#p864055

We got approved after a 10-month wait. Before applying, my stay in SG was only at 25 months - my wife's was even shorter at only 10 months. I think what got us approved were race, income, age, and education. I'll be very surprised if you get rejected, especially since you already have a child. Good luck! [-o<
Thank you! That’s super encouraging. I think both of you having advanced degrees is an edge though. I particularly worry about the race part - what did you provide in the application to have your Chinese ancestry registered?
Sorry just saw this. To prove our Chinese ancestry, we provided the PH naturalization papers of 1 parent (from PRC to PH), the PH alien registration card of 1 grandparent (it shows on the card where he is from in China), and then for the other parents, we just provided a family tree document that shows the Chinese names of ancestors.

realtheory
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 3:35 pm

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by realtheory » Mon, 22 Apr 2024 1:01 pm

20characters wrote:
Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:03 am
Sorry just saw this. To prove our Chinese ancestry, we provided the PH naturalization papers of 1 parent (from PRC to PH), the PH alien registration card of 1 grandparent (it shows on the card where he is from in China), and then for the other parents, we just provided a family tree document that shows the Chinese names of ancestors.
Thank you for the reply, and no issues at all. Did you provide them at the point of application?

Application is still pending - fingers crossed the whole time!

bubblyeducate
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:20 am

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by bubblyeducate » Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:33 am

20characters wrote:
Wed, 10 Jan 2024 8:09 pm
realtheory wrote:
Wed, 03 Jan 2024 4:33 pm
I found this forum and everyone seems super helpful. I've just submitted my PR application, but I've been told to expect at least one rejection, so just hoping for useful advice on how to continue improving my chances for the next submission.

Myself:
Nationality: Filipino
Place of Birth: Philippines
Race: Chinese (on EP) - HK Mother, PRC Xiamen Grandfather (Father born in Phils), speaks Mandarin/Hokkien
Gender: Male
Age: 31 Years Old
Marital Status: Married
Salary: $21k fixed salary per month, reflected in 2 years of NOA, grew from 8k -> 10k -> 15k -> 21k during time in Singapore
Pass: Personalised Employment Pass (converted from EP during shaky job market 2023)
Education: Dual Bachelor's from top Philippine University
Work: Software Engineer in Finance and Cybersecurity
Stay in Singapore: 3 years from 2016, returned after marriage and pandemic lifted in Jan 2022 up to present

Wife:
Nationality : Filipino
Place of Birth: Philippines
Race: Chinese (on DP) - HK Mother, PRC (Fujian) Father, can speak Hokkien
Gender: Female
Age: 32 Years Old
Marital Status: Married
Pass: Defendant's Pass
Education: Dual Bachelor's from a top Philippine University (same as mine)
Background: Accounting and Finance, but on a break since giving birth
Stay in Singapore: Jan 2022 up to present

Child:
Nationality: Filipino
Place of Birth: Singapore
Race: Chinese (on Singaporean birth certificate)
Gender: Female
Age: 1.5 years old
Stay in Singapore: 1.5 years (since birth)

Other things we have done:
- Moved most savings over in the form of long term investments for home purchase, enough to buy a decent 3BR condo (as HDB income ceiling also applies to resale now + 3 year wait period for new PR).
- Maxed out SRS contributions to "catch up" with people who were on CPF system since start of career
- Secured life, health, and accident insurance separate from employer-provided insurance to show we will not be burdens to social services

I've always found Singapore to be much closer to my cultural upbringing than the Philippines itself or even PRC given how much it has changed. I know that beyond stability and economic prospects ICA is looking for cultural integration, but I'm not sure how to demonstrate that beyond just the above.
We have very similar profiles:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=134139&p=864059#p864055

We got approved after a 10-month wait. Before applying, my stay in SG was only at 25 months - my wife's was even shorter at only 10 months. I think what got us approved were race, income, age, and education. I'll be very surprised if you get rejected, especially since you already have a child. Good luck! [-o<
Actually there was no surprise, even when I proved I was qualified I was still rejected. There were so many things that made me give up, they replied that it was because of my ethnic background.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40423
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Apr 2024 1:11 pm

Little bit of clarification, if I may....

When it comes to Chinese ancestry there are other hierarchies that are taken into consideration which will give you a better inkling as to what you are up against and what ICA is actually capable of. First of all the Chinese who are from Malaysia stand the best chance of gaining PR as most there already have either close or distant relatives here in Singapore as this was part of Malaysia until separation in '65, unless, of course, it should turn up that the grandparents were members of the Chinese Communist part back in the day. One step down are Indonesian Chinese, assuming they have the relevant older government paperwork to proof their ancestry. Or other Chinese documents to proof this. This can be family household census data, or documents showing the owners names and their Chinese names. Further down the list are Philippines, Vietnamese, Myanmar Chinese At the bottom of the list are PRC, HK, Taiwanese Chinese. The last 6 countries may often have a further request for family CVs. This is to see if searches turn up as to political backgrounds and bents and whether those ties cause any sort of problem for Sg. None of these are engraved in stone as all is thrown together for consideration. What we don't have and never will have is an internal knowledge of HOW those weightages impact other data in the application. Trying to find work arounds will only be successful in one aspect. That is it will speed up your rejection. Honestly (NOT embellishment) of your data is the only way you will be successful if it is in the cards. Good luck.

SMS

NB: ICA has teams of officers in almost all Asian/SE Asian countries who do ground work searches, especially with the family CV's when requested. They also use these teams to vet Academic qualifications by direct interactions with the educational institutions. Where they don't have actual teams they contract their needs to in-country agents who represent SG interests.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

RikkuG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:17 pm

Re: PR Application Chances

Post by RikkuG » Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:53 pm

Hey I just saw this! Did you guys have to do Apostille / Authentication for the documents to the DFA in the Philippines? (e.g. Birth Certificate, Diploma etc...) or you submitted the scanned versions to ICA? Thanks!

Were translations done too (if you presented Chinese docs).?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests