Singapore Expats Forum

i have so many questions~

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

A very curious Soon-to-be

Postby A very curious Soon-to-be » Wed, 10 Sep 2003 2:44 am

1. Digital camera and laptop - should i buy in the States or buy when i get there in Singapore? (does singapore use higher voltage? i know most laptops have built-in converters, but just curious if everyone uses electronics they brought from overseas...)

2. Internet access - is this expensive? i've lived in japan before, and it was very expensive there. does everyone have access from home? DSL?

3. Golf - i saw a listing of public golf courses in singapore. how are they? do people go?

4. i'm not sure how much my housing allowance is yet, but how much does an average one-bedroom apt. rent in a nice neighborhood (like orchard i heard..) cost a month?

i'm leaving in 3 weeks and i'm very anxious and i have so many questions that i just don't know where to ask! i'm glad i found this. help...
:cool:

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pal » Wed, 10 Sep 2003 4:52 am

Guest wrote:1. Digital camera and laptop - should i buy in the States or buy when i get there in Singapore? (does singapore use higher voltage? i know most laptops have built-in converters, but just curious if everyone uses electronics they brought from overseas...)

2. Internet access - is this expensive? i've lived in japan before, and it was very expensive there. does everyone have access from home? DSL?

3. Golf - i saw a listing of public golf courses in singapore. how are they? do people go?

4. i'm not sure how much my housing allowance is yet, but how much does an average one-bedroom apt. rent in a nice neighborhood (like orchard i heard..) cost a month?

i'm leaving in 3 weeks and i'm very anxious and i have so many questions that i just don't know where to ask! i'm glad i found this. help...
:cool:

Welcome to the forum. Let me try to answer your questions.

1. Digital camera and laptop - If your intend to use it here, my advice is to get it here. At least you will get proper local support and less likely to get any incompatibilities. Prices here are pretty competitive, especially at the popular IT malls like Sim Lim Square and Funan Centre.

Singapore is using 220v-240v, is it the same at the States? If it is different, then you might as well get the stuff here to avoid any problems.

2. Prices of internet access - ADSL ranges from S$57.2 per month for the 256kbps unlimited to S$78 per month for the 512kbps unlimited. 50% discount for the 1st 6 months. Prices quoted are from Singnet Broadband, one of the largest ISP in Singapore.

There is another alternative, cabled broadband ranges from S$56 to S$76 and have download speed up to 1500kbps and 3000 kbps respectively. Both are unlimited plans.

3. Golf - People do go to the golf courses in Singapore. But prices are slightly higher than the popular ones in Malaysia or Indonesia.

4. An average one bedroom apartment near Orchard will be asking around S$1,300 to S$2,000 a month. Depending on the condition, furnishing, view and location.

Normally the newer the apartment, the more expensive it is. Those nearer to Orchard will also cost more.

My advice is, you should decide whether is it worth while to stay near Orchard or to stay near your work place. Finding something near your work place will usually will save you some money from the rental and transport costs. Might be able to find a 2 bedroom for the same price.

For S$1,300 you will get a really basic or old apartment near Orchard. Try to allocate around S$1,600 or higher, at least you will get a decent and pretty new apartment near Orchard.

Hope the above helps, enjoy your stay here :;):

Edited By Pal on 1063141040
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Dating | Forum | Property

stratus
Regular
Regular

Postby stratus » Wed, 10 Sep 2003 5:11 am

hi there expat to be, i will suggest that you get your digital camera here. firstly it will be the warranty issue, as it will be much easier to get to the shop if any problems cropped up. Secondly, like wat pal has said the prices here are quite competitve, the most is abt 15 difference??. So i suggest tat its better to get it in Singapore. cheers :)