Singapore Expats Forum

Soulmates

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Soulmates

Postby Guest » Mon, 11 Apr 2005 1:21 pm

Are married couples each other's soulmate? does it make a difference?
Pls comment, tks a lot.

:)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Apr 2005 2:36 pm

The lucky ones are. Marriage is ultimately one of life's greatest and most pleasurable lessons. I have come to conclude that real love is when you can permit a person (your spouse) to be exactly as they are without judgments and reservations. When you can do that, you permit your spouse to be completely open and vulnerable, without fear of retribution. When two people can do that with one another, it creates a connection like no other, for the trust runs very, very deep, and that is the basis of being soulmates... trust and belief in one another.

soulmate

Postby soulmate » Mon, 11 Apr 2005 3:16 pm

Well said strong eagle!
We are ultimately here to learn lessons in this big classroom called earth! One can have more than one soulmate, meeting them after one is married can be sometimes tricky! As long as one remembers that there can be more than one and it is not always necessary (nor advisable!!) to marry them or have a sexual relationship with them. We meet people for a reason but mostly for our own growth.

dolby

Postby dolby » Mon, 11 Apr 2005 4:41 pm

I agree Strong Eagle, vulnerability, openness and trust are fundamental. If both people are willing to be that real with eachother, not hiding behind a mask, and are committed to eachother for the long term, so each is not worrying the other might want to get out, then that will be a really deep and close and intimate relationship, which you might call soulmates. I think that comes more from a willingness on both parts to learn and love and compromise and share and give more than taking. May sound fanciful, but I know it works for me.

Soulmate, I'd query wheter you can have more than one. I think perhaps a person is only really able to give themselves fully to one person, and to give to more than one involves compromise. I know it's possible to have some very close relationships with people who is not your spouse, and I agree obviously they're not sexual, but I think your marriage may lose something. I'm not sure though, because close friends and children come as examples in my head who may not fit into this model. But it's probably a question of "if I have something to share, who am I automatically going to share it with first?".

Any thoughts?

Ind Babe

Yes, but also change...

Postby Ind Babe » Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:15 pm

I agree with you Strong Eagle......but I have just one Caveat - I think a couple who really trusts and accept each other for what they are....will also be willing to change a few small things for each other. Its important to add here that these things which one may change should ideally not be fundamental things in life like ones value system.

However, for example, small lifestyle changes, one would not mind, if the big things in life are sorted out and accepted! Its a different level of pleasure when you realise that your spouse is willing to change something that he/she has been following all his/her life .....for you!

What say?

Return to “General Discussions”