Singapore Expats

Europe retirement visas

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Europe retirement visas

Post by malcontent » Mon, 15 Apr 2024 9:15 pm

I would say big cities between the coasts in the U.S. can be quite compelling. Even before I left for Singapore 28 years ago, Dallas and Houston had the highest ratio of salary versus cost of living, with Atlanta the next runner up. Surprisingly, that has remained consistent over the decades. My employer recently set up more offices and factories in Texas and I was just reading how Samsung is going to invest tens of billions there after getting billions in Biden bucks. Texas sure seems to be going places.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 15 Apr 2024 9:27 pm

There is a difference in the type of jobs available (and the depth of the labour markets). In the semi-mature corporate world, I would say what you are looking at matters. However, Silcon Valley (Wall Street as well) is quite different from that. If I worked at Google for one to two decades starting the early-2000s, do I care what the fresh out of college salary to cost of living looks like (or even what the statistic looks like for a mid-career person)?

You can also look at how regions have grown GDP. Is it by population growth with flat/lower growth in GDP per capital or via productivity.

Not saying one is better than the other (decades later, many in the low(er) cost regions will be better off financially), as it depends on what one wants to do, but they are very different. One also needs to watch how places evolve (continued corporate re-locations, etc); the traditional hubs aren't immune from bad policies. Nevertheless, as of now they still have many advantages (as it relates to concentrations of certain things).

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 17 Apr 2024 3:52 pm

Thanks for keeping my thread alive :)

I did a lot of research about several countries. In the end, I decided that to take the approach of go with the flow of money. Since there is no right or wrong country. You can be in the best country and still be in the bad situation over there or you can be in the worst country and be the good situation there. So everyone gets different set of circumstances, opportunities, problems etc and there is no way to compare countries and plan a move.

I never ever planned or imagined that I will end up in Singapore. But this happened and it has worked for me. There will always be something which I didn't achieve, but it is better to focus on what I achieved than what I didn't achieve.

So the plan is to just go with the flow and stay here as long as it makes sense. The main thing is my networth is growing and in the end, money matters a lot more than residency or location.

Regarding my daughter I will just take things as they come. There is still a long way to go for her college(6 more years).

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:19 am

You’ve got some time, but you’ll be surprised how quickly college age comes.

My kids might both be starting college this fall. My wife is thinking of having my son take a high school exemption exam and skip the last two years - go straight into junior college (community college) in the U.S. He will probably have better options as a transfer student in California than trying to get in as a high school graduate (acceptance rates are more than double). After what our daughter went through, it should also be less stressful.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 19 Apr 2024 5:58 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:19 am
You’ve got some time, but you’ll be surprised how quickly college age comes.

My kids might both be starting college this fall. My wife is thinking of having my son take a high school exemption exam and skip the last two years - go straight into junior college (community college) in the U.S. He will probably have better options as a transfer student in California than trying to get in as a high school graduate (acceptance rates are more than double). After what our daughter went through, it should also be less stressful.
Wow! We don't have these kind of pathways in the Indian education system( my daughter goes to an Indian intl school in Singapore ).

I am really amazed at how at a young age of P6 in Singapore they have so many pathways like academic, technical, express, integrated IB programme etc.

In the Indian education system, everyone goes through the same path until junior college( well actually in junior college there is choice between commerce, science or arts, most Indian kids choose science though)

Kids typically cruise throughout their schooling until the junior college. It is only at the end of junior college there is a competitive exam for undergrad college admissions.

So if we are in Singapore, my daughter completes her junior college in the same Indian intl school. Then if she gets brilliant marks we could try NUS/NTU/SMU etc for undergrad or an Indian undergrad college for bachelor's degree or maybe Ireland or some other country.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:46 am

The retirement visas have have terms and conditions changed at the whim of governments.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!