Singapore Expats

Tax clearance while getting on new EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Tax clearance while getting on new EP

Post by truthhurts1 » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 1:37 pm

Dear All,
Wanted your help on some tax issues.

Will be changing jobs after getting my new EP IPA.

However, I have still a tax payment for 16,000$ for calendar year of 2023 that is on GIRO.

Please can someone advise the procedure of how to continue with the GIRO when switching to the new employer.

Will there be any issues while cancellation of my EP with the current employer.

I am a bit nervous coz I don’t have a lot of cash with me and my final pay cheque won’t cover the payment of 16,000$.

Thank you.
by PNGMK » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 7:52 pm
You should be able to continue Giro unless you want to leave Singapore in the mean time. If IRAS demand payment immediately explain that you atr moving jobs (hopefully you can provide proof also).

The main issue IRAS have is with EPs fleeing the country with a tax debt and no plan to repay it.
Go to full post

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tax clearance while getting on new EP

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 7:52 pm

You should be able to continue Giro unless you want to leave Singapore in the mean time. If IRAS demand payment immediately explain that you atr moving jobs (hopefully you can provide proof also).

The main issue IRAS have is with EPs fleeing the country with a tax debt and no plan to repay it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Thu, 08 Jun 2023 1:36 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 07 Jun 2023 7:52 pm

Thank you bro. Yes I do have my new IPA with me that can be presented I suppose.
This gives me a bit of relief.
Saying that, it’s necessary to save.. been here for 10 years and have nothing to show for myself!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 08 Jun 2023 11:57 pm

truthhurts1 wrote:
Thu, 08 Jun 2023 1:36 pm
PNGMK wrote:

Thank you bro. Yes I do have my new IPA with me that can be presented I suppose.
Saying that, it’s necessary to save.. been here for 10 years and have nothing to show for myself!!
I suggest watch Ramit Sethi's Netflix show "How to get rich". When i watched his show, I used to wonder how can people who earn so much be so bad with managing money. It still makes sense, becuase his show is US based and they live their lifes on credit cards and debt. But in Asia, it is kind of rare.

Regarding tax clearance, your GIRO gets closed and your entire outstanding amount becomes due immediately. Your employer is obliged to withhold your salary, to payoff IRAS, the moment you serve notice, so the longer your notice period the longer you have to go without salary.

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Fri, 09 Jun 2023 9:38 am

Wd40 wrote:
Thu, 08 Jun 2023 11:57 pm
truthhurts1 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

I suggest watch Ramit Sethi's Netflix show "How to get rich". When i watched his show, I used to wonder how can people who earn so much be so bad with managing money. It still makes sense, becuase his show is US based and they live their lifes on credit cards and debt. But in Asia, it is kind of rare.

Regarding tax clearance, your GIRO gets closed and your entire outstanding amount becomes due immediately. Your employer is obliged to withhold your salary, to payoff IRAS, the moment you serve notice, so the longer your notice period the longer you have to go without salary.

Thanks bro.. yes should have made wise investment and saving decisions which are going to be a part of my downfall now that I am in my mid - 40s.

I called IRAS and they said that the employer needs to file IR21 for Tax clearance for cancelling EP.
Then I can contact IRAS and request them to issue a new GIRO,I need to give proof of new job from new Employer IPA and then continue with the GIRO.

Hope this will work.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 09 Jun 2023 1:22 pm

truthhurts1 wrote:
Fri, 09 Jun 2023 9:38 am
Wd40 wrote:
truthhurts1 wrote:

Thanks bro.. yes should have made wise investment and saving decisions which are going to be a part of my downfall now that I am in my mid - 40s.

I called IRAS and they said that the employer needs to file IR21 for Tax clearance for cancelling EP.
Then I can contact IRAS and request them to issue a new GIRO,I need to give proof of new job from new Employer IPA and then continue with the GIRO.

Hope this will work.
There are pros and cons in everything, you have enjoyed your life until now care free, so that counts for something. You can start saving and investing now. The founder of Mc Donald's chain did it in his 50s if you watch the movie The Founder, so it is never too late.

Good find on the tax clearance thingy and thanks for updating here. All the best in your new job 👍

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 11 Jun 2023 10:38 am

The best way for most people to save is to not have the money available to spend in the first place. Savings should be like a bill that has to be paid every month — out of sight, out of mind… it never becomes available to spend.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter

Post by truthhurts1 » Fri, 16 Jun 2023 7:42 am

Wd40 wrote:
Fri, 09 Jun 2023 1:22 pm
truthhurts1 wrote:
Fri, 09 Jun 2023 9:38 am
Wd40 wrote:

Hope this will work.
There are pros and cons in everything, you have enjoyed your life until now care free, so that counts for something. You can start saving and investing now. The founder of Mc Donald's chain did it in his 50s if you watch the movie The Founder, so it is never too late.

Good find on the tax clearance thingy and thanks for updating here. All the best in your new job 👍

Yes bro thank you. I will update you once this Tax thing is cleared.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 16 Jun 2023 8:52 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 11 Jun 2023 10:38 am
The best way for most people to save is to not have the money available to spend in the first place. Savings should be like a bill that has to be paid every month — out of sight, out of mind… it never becomes available to spend.
This.

TH1: The moment you get your salary, you can have 2 GIROs. 1 to an investment account which will constitute your savings. The other one to another savings account to constitute an emergency fund - avoid carrying around the debit card for this account, don't add it to your GPay or whatever so you avoid spending from it. Once it builds up to the level you need it to be, you can cancel the GIRO and add that money to your investment account instead.

You might want to look up the SRS account as well - it seems quite well suited to someone with your mindset.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 16 Jun 2023 11:20 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 16 Jun 2023 8:52 am
malcontent wrote:
This.

TH1: The moment you get your salary, you can have 2 GIROs. 1 to an investment account which will constitute your savings. The other one to another savings account to constitute an emergency fund - avoid carrying around the debit card for this account, don't add it to your GPay or whatever so you avoid spending from it. Once it builds up to the level you need it to be, you can cancel the GIRO and add that money to your investment account instead.

You might want to look up the SRS account as well - it seems quite well suited to someone with your mindset.
I would urge caution about jumping into SRS too quickly.

SRS is peculiar in the sense that investment growth (like capital gains) that would be tax free outside SRS can become taxable inside SRS. This is odd compared to other tax advantaged accounts; effectively you don’t want it to compound too long. So, other than depositing $1 to lock in an earlier retirement age, you may want to focus on investing outside of SRS in your early career when you have many decades until retirement. That is the time you should be in higher growth equity investments as well (which could grow their way to taxability in SRS). It is generally more suitable to those in mid career, who are likely in a higher tax bracket and only have a couple of decades left for compounding.

I would urge even more caution to expats, because, unless you can retire in SG and spread withdrawals over 10 years while being a tax resident… you could end up paying the non-resident rate or the resident rate, whichever is higher, on half of the final balance. And, although the upfront tax savings seem to be appealing, because SRS investments are limited to what is available locally, you are likely to pay higher fees than you’d get outside — those added fees compound too, just a 0.5% additional fee compounded over the decades can easily eat up all of the upfront tax savings, making it utterly useless.

In my case, I have no choice with SRS because my employer here changed our CPF substitute plan to SRS in 2020, so everything I would have gotten as employer contributions to CPF is now deposited into my SRS. Since I am a US person for tax purposes, there are only a few investment options that are not US tax toxic, and the absolute best one is ticker S27 traded on the SGX. So, as soon as there is enough cash to buy some S27 shares, I execute the trade.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 19 Jun 2023 3:15 am

malcontent wrote:
Agree. If you don't think of it as money that's there to spend, the savings will add up quickly.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 19 Jun 2023 3:18 am

Wd40 wrote:
truthhurts1 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

In the US, the default is to make payments on credit cards, which is why credit card debt is so common. In Asia, that is practically unheard of. There are some junior employees at my workplace who are nearing their 30s and still only use debit cards. Asians are far more frugal, in the US they spend what they don't have. In SG, they don't spend what they have.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:13 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 19 Jun 2023 3:18 am
In the US, the default is to make payments on credit cards, which is why credit card debt is so common. In Asia, that is practically unheard of. There are some junior employees at my workplace who are nearing their 30s and still only use debit cards. Asians are far more frugal, in the US they spend what they don't have. In SG, they don't spend what they have.
It’s actually beyond credit cards, people in the US overextend themselves in just about every possible way — buying cars they can’t afford, taking out home equity lines of credit and spend it on vacations… it’s wild abandon at its finest. And just like the song.. I owe, I owe; it’s off to work I go.

Nowadays in the US you see more and more check cashing services on every corner — these will loan you money against a paycheck that hasn’t cleared yet… and that is typically right next door to the rent-to-own appliance center — just a few examples of business that are exploiting people who don’t have any self-control or common sense. Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote, thank god for the fools, if not for them, none of us could succeed.

That said, not everyone in the US is this way — my parents and I never were, but my other siblings… definitely. I remember selling gum to my siblings, because they didn’t think ahead and buy their own — I’d charge them the price of a whole pack for just one piece… and they paid it!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:35 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:13 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
It’s actually beyond credit cards, people in the US overextend themselves in just about every possible way — buying cars they can’t afford, taking out home equity lines of credit and spend it on vacations… it’s wild abandon at its finest. And just like the song.. I owe, I owe; it’s off to work I go.

Nowadays in the US you see more and more check cashing services on every corner — these will loan you money against a paycheck that hasn’t cleared yet… and that is typically right next door to the rent-to-own appliance center — just a few examples of business that are exploiting people who don’t have any self-control or common sense. Reminds me of the Mark Twain quote, thank god for the fools, if not for them, none of us could succeed.

That said, not everyone in the US is this way — my parents and I never were, but my other siblings… definitely. I remember selling gum to my siblings, because they didn’t think ahead and buy their own — I’d charge them the price of a whole pack for just one piece… and they paid it!
There's definitely a culture of excess and lavishness in the US, whereas here and in Asia in general it's about prudence and financial conservatism. Believe it has to do with the East's more humble roots.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 20 Jun 2023 7:54 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:35 pm
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:13 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

There's definitely a culture of excess and lavishness in the US, whereas here and in Asia in general it's about prudence and financial conservatism. Believe it has to do with the East's more humble roots.
I guess Crazy Rich Asians was an urban legend.