Singapore Expats

how long to apply for Singapore citizenship?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Re: how long to apply for Singapore citizenship?

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 30 May 2023 2:22 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:23 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 5:07 pm
DouglauLee wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 2:50 pm

I am planning to apply citizen as a whole family.
I'd guess a pretty good chance then. Malaysia being so culturally similar to SG you don't need much time to acculturate. Just be sure to say SG food is best :wink:
It's never good to lie :P

Even as a SG food lover I must admit I can see where Malaysians are coming from when they say their food is better :oops:
:lol:
I admit I have fond memories of the popiah in Malacca. Used to visit there often and stuff ourselves. Oh and the chicken rice balls... mm

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 2:52 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 2:22 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 5:07 pm

I'd guess a pretty good chance then. Malaysia being so culturally similar to SG you don't need much time to acculturate. Just be sure to say SG food is best :wink:

Even as a SG food lover I must admit I can see where Malaysians are coming from when they say their food is better :oops:
I admit I have fond memories of the popiah in Malacca. Used to visit there often and stuff ourselves. Oh and the chicken rice balls... mm
Oh my... chicken rice balls :P It's a pity that not many places in Singapore sell it. There used to be a few, but I guess the owners retired. Some of the best food I've ever had in the region has been in Penang.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 30 May 2023 5:36 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 2:52 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Oh my... chicken rice balls :P It's a pity that not many places in Singapore sell it. There used to be a few, but I guess the owners retired. Some of the best food I've ever had in the region has been in Penang.
Penang is probably the most Singapore-like place in SE Asia. The island itself still has a majority Chinese population, and was also a former British colony. It was once known as (maybe still is?) the pearl of the orient. I’ve not been there for over 20 years, but I recall the north coast is a nice place to live, many high rise condos with great sea views, decent beaches and a relaxed vibe. However, the town area seemed very congested (even back then), so I avoided it - maybe I need to go back for a second look.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 30 May 2023 7:28 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 5:36 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:

Penang is probably the most Singapore-like place in SE Asia. The island itself still has a majority Chinese population, and was also a former British colony. It was once known as (maybe still is?) the pearl of the orient. I’ve not been there for over 20 years, but I recall the north coast is a nice place to live, many high rise condos with great sea views, decent beaches and a relaxed vibe. However, the town area seemed very congested (even back then), so I avoided it - maybe I need to go back for a second look.
One time we were shopping in George Town and stopped to ask a shopgirl where Chinatown was. She gestured to all of Penang and said "Everywhere lah".

Also, the E&O has the most fabulous high tea ever.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 30 May 2023 9:39 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

I’ve only tried the chicken rice balls one time, it was in Malacca roughly 20 years ago and just remember it not being what I expected. The rice is just pressed into balls… that is really the only difference compared to ordinary chicken rice. Seems like kind of a gimmick to me at the time… but maybe I need to try it again.

I have to admit, things that I dismissed early on, I’ve grown very attached to later on… like teh tarik, which seems like a gimmick, it not only aerates the drink (similar to cappuccino with a nice froth on top) but the primary purpose of pulling the tea is to cool it down so it can be drunk immediately. Nowadays I make my own at home and drink it almost every day.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:48 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 9:39 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:

I’ve only tried the chicken rice balls one time, it was in Malacca roughly 20 years ago and just remember it not being what I expected. The rice is just pressed into balls… that is really the only difference compared to ordinary chicken rice. Seems like kind of a gimmick to me at the time… but maybe I need to try it again.

I have to admit, things that I dismissed early on, I’ve grown very attached to later on… like teh tarik, which seems like a gimmick, it not only aerates the drink (similar to cappuccino with a nice froth on top) but the primary purpose of pulling the tea is to cool it down so it can be drunk immediately. Nowadays I make my own at home and drink it almost every day.
I believe chicken rice balls are unique because (and don't quote me on this) it was how sellers used to portion and sell it in the old days. That's what I was told. I like it because when the rice is pressed it becomes a little bit more sticky, the resultant texture is really great. I saw a video a couple years ago where a seller said that if the chicken rice ball doesn't bounce, it's not been done right. Haven't tried this out yet though.

I make Teh Tarik at home once in a while, though I don't have the skill for it, so I toss it in the blender while hot. Does the job haha.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:51 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 5:36 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
jalanjalan wrote:

They are still congested to this day. But for good reason, the food is amazing and the towns have so much history.

There, there are so many sellers who sell really great versions of each dish that they have to differentiate themselves physically. My personal favorite
CKT for example, is the goggle CKT. A close second is red beret.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 03 Jun 2023 11:34 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:53 pm
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:31 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

If you spend enough “soak time” across the border, you will know.

Take a simple thing like iced milo, I don’t even order it here… but in Malaysia? Boleh! Not sure what they do to it, but it’s not the watered down tasteless stuff they serve here.
Agree! The milo in Malaysia is so "gao". Real rich and creamy. Here, the best milo is served at the late night Indian prata stalls. Otherwise I buy the stuff in the carton, it's not too bad.
My American brother in law insists I bring a tin of Milo when I visit (he had it in PNG as well when he grew up there).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 03 Jun 2023 11:46 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 03 Jun 2023 11:34 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:53 pm
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:31 pm

If you spend enough “soak time” across the border, you will know.

Take a simple thing like iced milo, I don’t even order it here… but in Malaysia? Boleh! Not sure what they do to it, but it’s not the watered down tasteless stuff they serve here.
Agree! The milo in Malaysia is so "gao". Real rich and creamy. Here, the best milo is served at the late night Indian prata stalls. Otherwise I buy the stuff in the carton, it's not too bad.
My American brother in law insists I bring a tin of Milo when I visit (he had it in PNG as well when he grew up there).
Just make sure to declare it. Although it’s technically a food item, they don’t have an issue with stuff like that provided you declare it… it’s when you don’t declare it and are caught that the problems come.