Singapore Expats

PR chances 2023

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
hoppingMonkey

PR chances 2023

Post by hoppingMonkey » Mon, 29 May 2023 2:45 am

Software engineer from China with 13000 base salary. 27 years old single. US bachelors degree and my school is considered as one of the tier 1 schools by the ep compass system. Started my journey in SG last July and paid 9K tax. I’m planning to apply for PR next year after i pay my 2023 tax. How likely will I get approved?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: PR chances 2023

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 4:13 pm

Male or female?

hoppingMonkey

Post by hoppingMonkey » Mon, 29 May 2023 9:19 pm

Male

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 29 May 2023 9:51 pm

Wait until one renewal of EP then apply.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 29 May 2023 11:24 pm

How did you end up in Singapore after earning a degree in the US? One thing they will probably try to assess is the likelihood you’ll stay here permanently versus using Singapore as a stepping stone, eventually migrating to a western country — especially since you have a western degree.

How did you come into your employment here? Did you push or you were pulled? Are you totally solo, or do you have personal connections here? Getting married to a local would help show a greater potential to be a stayer and not a quitter. They don’t like quitters. Regardless of that, you still probably have a good shot at PR in time.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 11:34 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:24 pm
How did you end up in Singapore after earning a degree in the US? One thing they will probably try to assess is the likelihood you’ll stay here permanently versus using Singapore as a stepping stone, eventually migrating to a western country — especially since you have a western degree.

How did you come into your employment here? Did you push or you were pulled? Are you totally solo, or do you have personal connections here? Getting married to a local would help show a greater potential to be a stayer and not a quitter. They don’t like quitters. Regardless of that, you still probably have a good shot at PR in time.
The point about push and pull is important. If you were brought here, and your company is enthusiastic about you, that works heavily in your favor. If you're a single guy who fought to come here, personal qualities become more important.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 11:35 pm

hoppingMonkey wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 9:19 pm
Male
Agree with MOCHS. Apply after your EP has been renewed. If you get married to a local, your chances will improve. If you have a kid, even better.

hoppingMonkey

Post by hoppingMonkey » Tue, 30 May 2023 2:16 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:34 pm
malcontent wrote:

The point about push and pull is important. If you were brought here, and your company is enthusiastic about you, that works heavily in your favor. If you're a single guy who fought to come here, personal qualities become more important.

Thanks for the reply. I was relocated here by my US tech company. But the company laid me off due to the recession. I managed to find another job with a base salary 10% higher. But it’s a tech company full of engineers from China so the diversity part must be a minus. I know marriage is a plus but I’m trying to get it with my own merits

hoppingMonkey

Post by hoppingMonkey » Tue, 30 May 2023 2:19 am

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 9:51 pm
Wait until one renewal of EP then apply.
Thanks MOCHS! I’m on PEP now so I probably won’t have to renew EP (assuming I could get PR in 3 years) . But I’ll try after 2 full years of stay.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:55 pm

hoppingMonkey wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 2:16 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:34 pm
malcontent wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was relocated here by my US tech company. But the company laid me off due to the recession. I managed to find another job with a base salary 10% higher. But it’s a tech company full of engineers from China so the diversity part must be a minus. I know marriage is a plus but I’m trying to get it with my own merits
Respectable. I don't mean you should marry for PR, but it's something that happens to a lot of people along the way, which ends up aiding them in their application.