Singapore Expats

my wife LTVP rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: my wife LTVP rejected

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:38 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 9:27 pm
Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 9:19 pm
The ironic thing is we will never know how close or far away we are in the ranking. Imagine some people are applying year after year and even the computer must be laughing, given that the person probably has a "never to be given PR" check against their profile, yet the person is applying year after year, thinking they just missed it in the lottery this time. My sister went to Australia 6 years ago on a work visa and she got her PR in 4 years and then citizenship in another 2 years. Here I am in my 15 year still on an EP and mostly likely next renewal I will be given an S Pass ](*,)

I read an article about a Russian who was born here and still she didnt get PR, so based on that I think people here have been through far worse stuff than me, atleast I made some money and had a great time while I am here.
But curious, who is better off financially, you or your sister?
Myself ofcourse, but that is because of me, if I spent 15 years in Australia, I would probably be as rich as I am in Singapore. Maybe I would have a property too, but the plus would have been my daughter would have the opportunity for higher education in Australia as a local there and no visa hassles to look for a job there. That is a big deal.

The biggest drawback of me being in Singapore is that my daughter will have to work her way through as an Indian passport holder, that puts her behind compared to others born with or acquired a developed country passport, ovarian lottery really
Last edited by Wd40 on Tue, 30 May 2023 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:39 pm

Wd40 wrote:
The ironic thing is we will never know how close or far away we are in the ranking. Imagine some people are applying year after year and even the computer must be laughing, given that the person probably has a "never to be given PR" check against their profile, yet the person is applying year after year, thinking they just missed it in the lottery this time. My sister went to Australia 6 years ago on a work visa and she got her PR in 4 years and then citizenship in another 2 years. Here I am in my 15 year still on an EP and mostly likely next renewal I will be given an S Pass ](*,)

I read an article about a Russian who was born here and still she didnt get PR, so based on that I think people here have been through far worse stuff than me, atleast I made some money and had a great time while I am here.
If we were talking about the same girl, she's on EP now. So maybe PR will be within reach in a few years.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:41 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 11:15 am
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:40 pm
mohd.shan wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:24 pm
I applied sc before few years back but ICA said salary too low. My parents don’t want us to take sc. I am 41 and she is 39. I know her for 6 months before we got married
I’m surprised they came out and said salary too low. Normally they are not so revealing.

Her age doesn’t score any points as a baby maker. Was she married before, have any kids?
Many years ago, they used to screen SC applications before submission and if some basic criteria was not met, they would right away advise not to apply.
If only they could do this now, and save everybody some time, money, and aggravation.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:44 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 10:39 pm
Wd40 wrote:

If we were talking about the same girl, she's on EP now. So maybe PR will be within reach in a few years.
What changes in a few years? She must be on EP for some time already and hasn't been given a PR.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:52 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 10:44 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 10:39 pm
Wd40 wrote:

What changes in a few years? She must be on EP for some time already and hasn't been given a PR.
Nope, she just obtained EP. She's fairly young and was on student pass before I believe. She's just started her first full time job.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 31 May 2023 7:47 am

Read the article but didn’t watch the video interview of the Russian woman born in SG. Both her parents are not PR or SC, they were in O&G industry and were frequently at sea. Her mother’s ship happened to be close to SG when she went into labour.

She said “she spent most of her life in Singapore” but that in itself is kinda vague. How often was she away from SG?

If you looked up her LinkedIn profile, you can’t see her education history, we don’t know where she studied either. If she studied in International School and did her degree overseas instead of locally, that isn’t integration now, is it?

Probably other factors at play she didn’t disclose.

Anyway, we are going way off topic for this thread.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 31 May 2023 12:56 pm

She was put into a local primary school, and could not speak English at the time, so she learned from her peers. She has a very strong singlish accent, if you didn't know what she looked like and only judged her based on her voice, you would think she was a Chinese girl.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 31 May 2023 8:18 pm

Where did you read she was in local primary school? The articles I read didn’t mention anything about that at all. Are we talking about Elena Tsvetkova or someone else?

Watched Elena’s interview video, while she was away from SG for 3 years, I have to strongly disagree she sounds Singapore-Chinese. Absolutely 100% nope. Her accent sounds vaguely American with some mix of Brit-Aussie twang. The way she pronounced “Macritchie” is definitely not local sounding at all. She managed to pronounce it as one word with ease but if you ask Singaporeans, they’ll heavily emphasise on “Mac” followed by a pause, then “Ree-chee”.

There was also a photo of her from when she was a schoolgirl and I am doubtful it’s a local primary school because half the kids in the photo are Caucasian. Unless that primary school really didn’t have much locals enrolling… She also mentioned a story about a fellow expat kid from school so… I’m still leaning that she went to International School unless there’s a pic of her in the school uniform instead of a rational harmony day outfit.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Jun 2023 6:58 am

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 31 May 2023 7:47 am
Read the article but didn’t watch the video interview of the Russian woman born in SG. Both her parents are not PR or SC, they were in O&G industry and were frequently at sea. Her mother’s ship happened to be close to SG when she went into labour.

She said “she spent most of her life in Singapore” but that in itself is kinda vague. How often was she away from SG?

If you looked up her LinkedIn profile, you can’t see her education history, we don’t know where she studied either. If she studied in International School and did her degree overseas instead of locally, that isn’t integration now, is it?

Probably other factors at play she didn’t disclose.

Anyway, we are going way off topic for this thread.
Local school is not even a right for foreigners, neither is college. You are talking as if Singapore treats foreigners equal to locals when it comes to school seats or college seats. My daughter was denied a seat.

I seriously cant beleive, even this forum with all the information, people still think somehow it is foreigners fault for not getting PR. Imagine what kind of ignorance exists outside this forum.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 01 Jun 2023 7:51 am

Is it that extremely rare one born in Singapore with majority of her or his life lived in this country is not granted PR? For the parents being non-PR, non-SC, I would expect is a norm. So what is all this in news-excitement about concerning Elena T?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 01 Jun 2023 10:16 am

Wd40 wrote:
Thu, 01 Jun 2023 6:58 am
Local school is not even a right for foreigners, neither is college. You are talking as if Singapore treats foreigners equal to locals when it comes to school seats or college seats. My daughter was denied a seat.

I seriously cant beleive, even this forum with all the information, people still think somehow it is foreigners fault for not getting PR. Imagine what kind of ignorance exists outside this forum.
Back up just a hot minute, no where in my post states that “Singapore treats foreigners equal to locals when it comes to school seats or college seats”.

It was Lisafuller that said in her post that this Russian lass went to a local primary school and I made a post stating that I could not find such evidence that she went to a local school. That is all.

I never even said it was her fault she couldn’t get PR. You are just projecting your anger on me because you can’t get it despite trying multiple times.

I’m married to a foreigner myself, I know how bloody hard it is to get PR. I’ve had multiple naysayers telling me I shouldn’t complain about my hardships of being married to one because “I know what I was getting into”. I’ve had countless people telling me to “just apply PR” right after I got married because they assumed it was so easy. You don’t get to tell me I’m ignorant.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Jun 2023 10:53 am

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 01 Jun 2023 10:16 am
Wd40 wrote:
Thu, 01 Jun 2023 6:58 am

Back up just a hot minute, no where in my post states that “Singapore treats foreigners equal to locals when it comes to school seats or college seats”.

It was Lisafuller that said in her post that this Russian lass went to a local primary school and I made a post stating that I could not find such evidence that she went to a local school. That is all.

I never even said it was her fault she couldn’t get PR. You are just projecting your anger on me because you can’t get it despite trying multiple times.

I’m married to a foreigner myself, I know how bloody hard it is to get PR. I’ve had multiple naysayers telling me I shouldn’t complain about my hardships of being married to one because “I know what I was getting into”. I’ve had countless people telling me to “just apply PR” right after I got married because they assumed it was so easy. You don’t get to tell me I’m ignorant.
You made this statement that if she didn't study in local school or college, it means she didn't Integrate. Do you even know whether she was allowed to integrate? You just assumed she didn't Integrate.

That's my whole point, it is like without giving her any benefit of doubt, you default assumption is she didn't Integrate. Why would she even make all that article and hoo ha if she didn't want to integrate?

Integration is a 2 way street and there is enough evidence that in most cases the authorities dont even want too much integration, because it causes social frictions, they would prefer foreigners to be out of sight out of mind. If you knew all this then you would never make that integration comment.

It is a fact that not everyone will be given PR in Singapore, it is just not possible due to sheer size of the foreign workforce. This is not due to any fault of theirs. So I am pragmatic. When I brought the Russian lady example, it was only to highlight that there are so many cases of people who deserve PR much more than me, so I dont feel that bad about not getting PR.

My last humble request, on this topic, is; please dont judge people why they were not given PR. Lets simply accept the fact that not everyone will be given PR, it is their fate, they ended up here and now they just have to deal with it.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 01 Jun 2023 11:36 am

Mate, the senior members have already mentioned many times if you send a kid to International School, it’s not looked upon favorably by ICA for PR application. I’m just saying what they stated.

You can also look up articles on ricemedia about PRs serving NS. They studied in International Schools and still felt a disconnection with the locals. ICA is on to something here.

Of course, the parents probably didn’t wanna send them to IS but had no choice. Kid grows up in a different environment from the locals and the No PR cycle continues.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Jun 2023 12:25 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 01 Jun 2023 11:36 am
Mate, the senior members have already stated many times if you send a kid to International School, it’s not looked upon favorably by ICA for PR application. I’m just saying what they stated.

You can also look up articles on ricemedia about PRs serving NS. They studied in International Schools and still felt a disconnection with the locals. ICA is on to something here.
Dude this is not even chicken and egg. If local school seat is denied then how can you even use it as a factor for integration. Besides, nobody knows nothing, everyone is just speculating.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Thu, 01 Jun 2023 1:12 pm

If I were to guess, integration is not even in the top five deciding factors. Direct family ties to a SC, ethnicity, income, education and age I bet would be miles ahead of speaking singlish, liking chicken rice or living in hdb. Else why would the PA have new citizen integration programmes - they'd all be fully integrated already.