Singapore Expats

What do you find more convenient here?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
taxico
Director
Director

Re: What do you find more convenient here?

Post by taxico » Thu, 08 Jun 2023 11:23 pm

keeping in line with the topic, i find it convenient that if i were to be driving (not speeding) with 3 black active duty army guys in the same (unmodified) car, and a police cruiser pulls up behind me, i won’t worry that it’ll end up being a traffic stop for a needless tint or broken bulb violation and everyone including passengers needing to hand over their (military) IDs and everyone still ran through the police system because deputy big hoss threatened jail time (??!) if they refuse even though he ain’t no MP and they ain’t driving.

it’s convenient that although singapore is a stop and ID and frisk state, i know it’s likely to be a polite encounter with a quick resolution.

it’s convenient that when i drive in singapore, i need not worry about which way to bash my way through when i hear PAP! PAP! PAP! while stopped at a light.

it’s convenient i need not deal with drivers that flash hand guns through an recently wound down window as a way of showing displeasure in altercations that could easily result in bullets being fired over my head/car.

it’s convenient that i also need not worry about ever being shot by a civilian wielding a gun in singapore because i’m not worth the cost of a bullet.

i appreciate that many times i’m given preferential treatment by customer service staff because they think i’m a tourist.

i enjoy being able to get something to eat at all hours of the day.

hope i managed to turn this around!

p/s; it’s not convenient that i cannot use CBD oils/balms here in sg : (
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 08 Jun 2023 11:49 pm

Come to think of it, I have gotten pulled over quite a lot while back in the US. Sometimes it’s a good cop, sometimes not so good… but in every case I was cooperative, respectful and always maintained that no premeditated criminality involved. The worst case, I got a ticket, but that’s rare.

I recall one time I was tearing down some backroads in Illinois and was clocked doing 86 in a 55 (he got me after I’d slammed on the brakes, or it’d have been more). I showed my Singapore license and he didn’t know what to do with it. Finally he said “I’m gonna cut ya loose, but you need da slow it down” - I said, yes sir - I will. But that was very lucky break.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 09 Jun 2023 8:18 am

Yep, completely agreed, SG police in any typical everyday scenario is friendly and above all not vindictive and not trying to fine you just for the sake of fining or scoring in some of their internal KPIs (or whatever may typically drive police, e.g. in Europe).

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 09 Jun 2023 10:47 am

The risk of being shot has never really crossed my mind at any time during the 2.5 decades I lived in the US, nor the dozens of times I’ve been back, often for a month or more (last year I spent the month of Jun and Dec). Never saw anyone flashing their gun in the street or even carrying one (except when shooting clay pigeons). Maybe I’m just lucky… but then when I ask my family and friends (who I remain very close to) they echo the same.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Jun 2023 11:36 am

:-#
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 09 Jun 2023 2:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 09 Jun 2023 11:36 am
go on… you can do it!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 09 Jun 2023 2:54 pm

You had a different experience to be sure. But how many people come face to face with that in their lifetime? Definitely nobody else that I know.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Jun 2023 5:25 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 09 Jun 2023 2:54 pm
You had a different experience to be sure. But how many people come face to face with that in their lifetime? Definitely nobody else that I know.
True, but with the advent of Social Media it would appear that there are a heck of a lot more of us than was originally thought. Such is the power of the net and instant gratification and cell phones..
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers