Singapore Expats

UWC curriculum choice in Grade 9

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
SanyuktaV

UWC curriculum choice in Grade 9

Post by SanyuktaV » Thu, 06 Apr 2023 9:37 am

My son is going to Grade 9 in UWC East campus and has to choose between the IGCSE curriculum vs their own curriculum. Any thoughts on the two curriculums and how we should make the decision? Thanks!

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: UWC curriculum choice in Grade 9

Post by NYY1 » Thu, 06 Apr 2023 11:12 am

SanyuktaV wrote:
Thu, 06 Apr 2023 9:37 am
My son is going to Grade 9 in UWC East campus and has to choose between the IGCSE curriculum vs their own curriculum. Any thoughts on the two curriculums and how we should make the decision? Thanks!
Hi. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of the two curriculums, but my thoughts would be as follows.

#1. What do you plan to do in Year 11-12? If planning to take IBDP (at UWC), I'm not sure one really needs the IGCSE results? Alternatively, the IGCSE results may be useful if looking for other options in Year 11-12?

#2. Just skimming through the website, it looks like the assessments in the UWC curriculum are more varied (form, weighting, etc)? Pros and cons to both (if true) and partly depends on #1 above (i.e. what is next).

#3. Not sure if one track is more favoured than the other by students within the school? In any school or track (for schools with multiple tracks), availability of subject choices is important. Both that there is sufficient interest/enrollment for the school to offer the class and that a student can get what he/she wants (if oversubscribed, do you get put somewhere else).

See if others can provide additional thoughts (either general or specific). Good luck!