Worst fast food in Singapore

Share your favourite eating haunts!
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Worst fast food in Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Mar 2023 12:29 am

A couple days ago I tried Nene chicken. Supposed to be a pretty solid Korean fast food chain, with multiple outlets island wide. On the rare occasion that I get fried chicken, I typically go for KFC tenders, as they are the easiest to eat and taste like real fresh chicken. I've heard great things about Korean fried chicken, so expected nothing short of KFC standard (which frankly is not high to begin with) or better. Ordered tenders online through Grab, with a honey mustard sauce to go with. Delivery was fast, and pretty unremarkable.

Food was absolutely awful. I'm not sure what tenders are back in Korea, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Instead of the long, juicy strips of tenderloin you would typically get from KFC, their chicken looked more like nuggets. Bit into one, and the meat was tough, dark (I'm guessing thigh or random parts), and absolutely tasteless. Batter was so greasy with no crunch whatsoever. I could've probably squeezed enough oil out to fry an egg. Worst of all, everything was cold, even though I had ordered well within service hours, so it wouldn't have been the last batch of food sold.

The saving grace was the dipping sauce, though it was freezing as if it had been taken right out of the fridge, it was tangy and flavorful. Still wasn't enough to help the poor chicken, I ate a couple more pieces and threw the rest away. Wouldn't even feed it to my dog, I love him too much.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with Nene, or if not, what's the worst fast food you've had here?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Worst fast food in Singapore

Post by smoulder » Mon, 27 Mar 2023 6:52 am

There's probably a good reason why my English colleague calls it No No chicken :lol:

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:06 am

Fast food is always somewhat gross. That said, Tim Hortons is coming to Singapore next month. I hope they offer Timbits [-o<

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 27 Mar 2023 2:38 pm

I've only managed to pass by Nene chicken once. It seems they only seems they sell only burgers and wings? Their menu looks rather boring so never tried it. I think KFC is still better. Their cheese fries are awesome.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Mar 2023 4:46 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 27 Mar 2023 6:52 am
There's probably a good reason why my English colleague calls it No No chicken :lol:
Haha really! I had always thought it was pretty well liked here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Mar 2023 4:49 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Mon, 27 Mar 2023 11:06 am
Fast food is always somewhat gross. That said, Tim Hortons is coming to Singapore next month. I hope they offer Timbits [-o<
I've actually never had Tims so that's pretty exciting. What I was more excited for was the opening of Cinnabon, back in the states, it's my favorite thing to get at the mall. I still haven't taken the trip to raffles city to try it though, it's just so crowded all the time.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Mar 2023 4:50 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 27 Mar 2023 2:38 pm
I've only managed to pass by Nene chicken once. It seems they only seems they sell only burgers and wings? Their menu looks rather boring so never tried it. I think KFC is still better. Their cheese fries are awesome.
Actually, they've got a pretty huge menu. I've got Korean Ramen, Japchae, pizza, and a bunch of other side dishes.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:20 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Mar 2023 4:46 pm
smoulder wrote:
I tried Ne Ne once… there won’t be a 2nd… it is truly awful, on every level. Not sure how they even survive here.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:34 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
I’ve only been to Tim Hortons twice.

The first time was in Auburn Hills, Michigan - at least 10 years ago… just tried the coffee. What I noticed back then is how it was very reasonably priced they were.

The second time was in Jasper, Alberta in 2018, we were desperate for a quick breakfast and there was no McD or similar, so I bought Tim Horton’s equivalent… wasn’t bad, but was a bit on the expensive side.

I’ve yet to try the bits, but will give it a go if they offer them here.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 5:00 pm

Never heard of this place but just noticed their website isn't working :D :D

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:12 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:20 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:
I tried Ne Ne once… there won’t be a 2nd… it is truly awful, on every level. Not sure how they even survive here.
What'd you get? Interesting that this is a common negative experience.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:13 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 12:34 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
I’ve only been to Tim Hortons twice.

The first time was in Auburn Hills, Michigan - at least 10 years ago… just tried the coffee. What I noticed back then is how it was very reasonably priced they were.

The second time was in Jasper, Alberta in 2018, we were desperate for a quick breakfast and there was no McD or similar, so I bought Tim Horton’s equivalent… wasn’t bad, but was a bit on the expensive side.

I’ve yet to try the bits, but will give it a go if they offer them here.
How was the coffee? I know they're primarily a coffee chain but I'm real excited to try the Timbits.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:13 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 5:00 pm
Never heard of this place but just noticed their website isn't working :D :D
http://www.nenechicken.com.sg/ Works fine for me...

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:07 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:12 pm
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

I got chicken, can’t recall which flavor.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 31 Mar 2023 12:48 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 10:07 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 30 Mar 2023 7:12 pm
malcontent wrote:

I got chicken, can’t recall which flavor.
Wow, so terrible and unremarkable at the same time. Wonder when they're going to shut down and make room for real fast food.