Singapore Expats

Is there a place or rent in Singapore (nearby NUS) with an affordable price?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
whitemonster17

Is there a place or rent in Singapore (nearby NUS) with an affordable price?

Post by whitemonster17 » Wed, 15 Mar 2023 3:36 pm

Sup good people, I will be working in Singapore (at NUS) soon. I wonder if there is a rent or place nearby NUS equipped with a kitchen (sharing kitchen would be fine), AC, and WiFi. I prefer a single room with a personal bathroom. I would be glad if you can give an options/recommendation about such rent with affordable price.

If you may, please also include the contact or link. Look forward to your helpful response, Thank you guys. Wish you all the best :D

Search By

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Re: Is there a place or rent in Singapore (nearby NUS) with an affordable price?

Post by jalanjalan » Thu, 16 Mar 2023 1:52 pm

That would depend on what you mean by affordable.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Is there a place or rent in Singapore (nearby NUS) with an affordable price?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Mar 2023 2:57 pm

That's why I didn't reply late last night (wee hours this morning). Affordable is relative, but to what?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Mar 2023 3:29 pm

whitemonster17 wrote:
Wed, 15 Mar 2023 3:36 pm
Sup good people, I will be working in Singapore (at NUS) soon. I wonder if there is a rent or place nearby NUS equipped with a kitchen (sharing kitchen would be fine), AC, and WiFi. I prefer a single room with a personal bathroom. I would be glad if you can give an options/recommendation about such rent with affordable price.

If you may, please also include the contact or link. Look forward to your helpful response, Thank you guys. Wish you all the best :D
I believe they have staff housing that's a little nicer than their student accommodation.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 16 Mar 2023 3:30 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Thu, 16 Mar 2023 1:52 pm
My interpretation is whatever is the lower end of market price in the area.

whitemonster17

Post by whitemonster17 » Fri, 17 Mar 2023 11:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 16 Mar 2023 2:57 pm
That's why I didn't reply late last night (wee hours this morning). Affordable is relative, but to what?
jalanjalan wrote:
Sorry not being specific. By affordable, I mean the place with lower price (around SG 1,500 would be good). I wish you can give me suggestions.

whitemonster17

Post by whitemonster17 » Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:06 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 16 Mar 2023 3:29 pm
whitemonster17 wrote:

I believe they have staff housing that's a little nicer than their student accommodation.
Oh really? It's new to me =D> . Gonna be worth to check around. Thank you :D
Aside from the faculty housing, could you tell me more where foreign worker are usually staying over?

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Fri, 17 Mar 2023 1:58 pm

From what I see on property websites, there are room rentals for around that in the area (not sure about private bathroom). You might want to engage a property agent to help you look, just make sure they are bona fide (https://www.cea.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... -real.html)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 17 Mar 2023 4:58 pm

Google search for rooms on rent. You should find the major property sites where you can get up to date rental rates. Rooms with attached toilet = "master room"... That's what you should look out for since that's your preference.

My suggestion is if you find something you like, key it in to Google maps to see if the commute time is manageable for you. Generally speaking, Singapore is well connected by public transport, but obviously that doesn't mean that you don't have commutes that are as long as 1 hour or longer.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:30 pm

whitemonster17 wrote:
Fri, 17 Mar 2023 12:06 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
whitemonster17 wrote:

Aside from the faculty housing, could you tell me more where foreign worker are usually staying over?
Foreign workers stay in dormitories that are paid for by their employers. Living conditions are pretty bad, I would not recommend it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:31 pm

whitemonster17 wrote:
Fri, 17 Mar 2023 11:55 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 16 Mar 2023 2:57 pm
jalanjalan wrote:
Sorry not being specific. By affordable, I mean the place with lower price (around SG 1,500 would be good). I wish you can give me suggestions.
If you're game, you can try Facebook. There are a lot of reasonably priced listings there.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 20 Mar 2023 1:10 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:30 pm
whitemonster17 wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Foreign workers stay in dormitories that are paid for by their employers. Living conditions are pretty bad, I would not recommend it.
Errr.... We are talking about staff accommodation for NUS professors, not construction workers.

I once (briefly) dated a girl from the Philippines who was a lecturer at NUS. She was staying in a room provided by the university on campus. Seemed fairly comfortable - I think it was in the same block as the students on campus accommodation.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jalanjalan » Mon, 20 Mar 2023 4:01 pm

Seems to be a terminology confusion here. There are different kinds of "foreign worker" in Singapore. When we (locals) say foreign worker, generally we mean Work Permit holders. Work passes summary is here: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits

Anyone under the Professionals category is usually responsible for their own housing, or have a special deal with their employer to provide/subsidise. Check with your employer.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Mar 2023 9:51 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Mon, 20 Mar 2023 4:01 pm
Seems to be a terminology confusion here. There are different kinds of "foreign worker" in Singapore. When we (locals) say foreign worker, generally we mean Work Permit holders. Work passes summary is here: https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits

Anyone under the Professionals category is usually responsible for their own housing, or have a special deal with their employer to provide/subsidise. Check with your employer.
Yup, this was what I was referring to.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Mar 2023 9:57 pm

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 20 Mar 2023 1:10 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:30 pm
whitemonster17 wrote:

Errr.... We are talking about staff accommodation for NUS professors, not construction workers.

I once (briefly) dated a girl from the Philippines who was a lecturer at NUS. She was staying in a room provided by the university on campus. Seemed fairly comfortable - I think it was in the same block as the students on campus accommodation.
OP asked about foreign worker accommodation ASIDE from faculty housing, meaning not staff accommodation.

I had a friend who was a lecturer at Ngee Ann Poly some 20 years ago, stayed in staff housing. Wasn't half bad, so I'm assuming NUS has even better offerings.