Singapore Expats

Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
skeeting
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 4:12 pm

Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by skeeting » Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:16 pm

So after 18 months, our family of 4 have been approved for PR. Our background:

Both parents Chinese Australian
EP and DPs
Early 40s
1 boy 1 girl (both under 10)
Single salary ~$350k/year - tech industry - FAANG
Put in application after living in Singapore for 2 years

In the last 12 months, my wife and children have moved back to Australia (can be clearly seen in ICA records that they've not been in Singapore for 6months+). We declined a spot for our grade 1 kid in local school after being offered a place.

Honestly didn't expect to get approved but hey, here we are, with IPA in hand. A bit bizarre. Really not sure if we will accept given there is not much benefit since i'll likely return to Australia in the next 12 months.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 894
Joined: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 8:43 pm
Answers: 2

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:53 pm

Think very carefully if you or your family will return to SG again in the future.

Once you reject SG PR and if you or your children want to apply SG PR on their own when they grow up, high chance of them being rejected because of your choice of turning it down when they were kids. Do not inadvertently screw up your kids future potential in SG.

skeeting
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by skeeting » Wed, 15 Mar 2023 4:55 pm

To be honest thats not a factor at all. Worrying about whether my son or daughter will come back to Singapore in 15-20-30 years time and want to be a PR is just not a consideration for me at all. We've been told so much incorrect information. We were told once you decline local school, your PR will get rejected. Once your family leaves SIngapore your PR will get rejected because ICA can see travel movement. Don't apply after living here for 2 years as it'll be rejected due to short length of stay. All these were wrong as our application still got approved.

My point is you could be wrong or you could be right. No one knows. Anyway there are so many more considerations before your point anyway.

simple_guy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 6:23 am

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by simple_guy » Wed, 15 Mar 2023 5:47 pm

skeeting wrote:
Wed, 15 Mar 2023 4:55 pm
To be honest thats not a factor at all. Worrying about whether my son or daughter will come back to Singapore in 15-20-30 years time and want to be a PR is just not a consideration for me at all. We've been told so much incorrect information. We were told once you decline local school, your PR will get rejected. Once your family leaves SIngapore your PR will get rejected because ICA can see travel movement. Don't apply after living here for 2 years as it'll be rejected due to short length of stay. All these were wrong as our application still got approved.

My point is you could be wrong or you could be right. No one knows. Anyway there are so many more considerations before your point anyway.
@Skeeting,but you had valid EP when you were in AUS?

Pantsgrenadier
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 7:41 pm
Answers: 1

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by Pantsgrenadier » Wed, 15 Mar 2023 7:58 pm

skeeting wrote:
Wed, 15 Mar 2023 4:55 pm
To be honest thats not a factor at all. Worrying about whether my son or daughter will come back to Singapore in 15-20-30 years time and want to be a PR is just not a consideration for me at all. We've been told so much incorrect information. We were told once you decline local school, your PR will get rejected. Once your family leaves SIngapore your PR will get rejected because ICA can see travel movement. Don't apply after living here for 2 years as it'll be rejected due to short length of stay. All these were wrong as our application still got approved.

My point is you could be wrong or you could be right. No one knows. Anyway there are so many more considerations before your point anyway.
I think most of the advises here only mentioned "low chance of approval" or "very likely be rejected", not "will be rejected" for a situation like yours. So it's not really incorrect information like you said, because nobody here is qualified to give a 100% correct information anyway. You may got low chance, but got approved in the end, so congratz, I guess? :)

Anyway, I agree that your kids' future in Singapore should not be affected if you decide not to take the PR now. It is very different from, say, your family take the PR now and move away when your son reach 16 years old, in which case it will surely have a negative effect. Again, I could be wrong.

So, coming back to your original question, if I were you, I would not take the PR if I'm very sure my family will not reside here. In fact, I may write a letter to ICA to explain the changes in circumstance and how it affect my decision. As unpredictable as they maybe, I feel ICA is still very "human", and they will understand your situation. If they're not, they couldn't have given PR to my friends' daughter, who had cerebral palsy from birth, on the ground of humanitarian, so she could receive subsidized treatment

carinj
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:16 am

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by carinj » Fri, 17 Mar 2023 10:24 am

Compensating factors exist in your case (salary, FAANG) :-)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:34 pm

skeeting wrote:
Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:16 pm
So after 18 months, our family of 4 have been approved for PR. Our background:

Both parents Chinese Australian
EP and DPs
Early 40s
1 boy 1 girl (both under 10)
Single salary ~$350k/year - tech industry - FAANG
Put in application after living in Singapore for 2 years

In the last 12 months, my wife and children have moved back to Australia (can be clearly seen in ICA records that they've not been in Singapore for 6months+). We declined a spot for our grade 1 kid in local school after being offered a place.

Honestly didn't expect to get approved but hey, here we are, with IPA in hand. A bit bizarre. Really not sure if we will accept given there is not much benefit since i'll likely return to Australia in the next 12 months.
Just curious, why did you apply in the first place?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:39 pm

Pantsgrenadier wrote:
Wed, 15 Mar 2023 7:58 pm
skeeting wrote:
Wed, 15 Mar 2023 4:55 pm
To be honest thats not a factor at all. Worrying about whether my son or daughter will come back to Singapore in 15-20-30 years time and want to be a PR is just not a consideration for me at all. We've been told so much incorrect information. We were told once you decline local school, your PR will get rejected. Once your family leaves SIngapore your PR will get rejected because ICA can see travel movement. Don't apply after living here for 2 years as it'll be rejected due to short length of stay. All these were wrong as our application still got approved.

My point is you could be wrong or you could be right. No one knows. Anyway there are so many more considerations before your point anyway.
I think most of the advises here only mentioned "low chance of approval" or "very likely be rejected", not "will be rejected" for a situation like yours. So it's not really incorrect information like you said, because nobody here is qualified to give a 100% correct information anyway. You may got low chance, but got approved in the end, so congratz, I guess? :)

Anyway, I agree that your kids' future in Singapore should not be affected if you decide not to take the PR now. It is very different from, say, your family take the PR now and move away when your son reach 16 years old, in which case it will surely have a negative effect. Again, I could be wrong.

So, coming back to your original question, if I were you, I would not take the PR if I'm very sure my family will not reside here. In fact, I may write a letter to ICA to explain the changes in circumstance and how it affect my decision. As unpredictable as they maybe, I feel ICA is still very "human", and they will understand your situation. If they're not, they couldn't have given PR to my friends' daughter, who had cerebral palsy from birth, on the ground of humanitarian, so she could receive subsidized treatment
The letter is a great idea. Always good to explain yourself to prevent misunderstandings.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:40 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:53 pm
Think very carefully if you or your family will return to SG again in the future.

Once you reject SG PR and if you or your children want to apply SG PR on their own when they grow up, high chance of them being rejected because of your choice of turning it down when they were kids. Do not inadvertently screw up your kids future potential in SG.
Fair, but may not necessarily happen as 1, that's a long time from now, and 2, the kids might not want to apply at all. Decisions shouldn't be made based on hypothetical situations.

truthhurts1
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:06 am

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by truthhurts1 » Mon, 20 Mar 2023 1:35 pm

Another example of just be chinese and have a sure shot chance of getting a PR..I don’t think its anything to be surprised about isn’t it

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6211
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Our PR success 2023 - 18 months application

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Mar 2023 3:02 am

LOL, that's one way to put it. I don't think it's 100% chance, though it is leaps and bounds ahead of every other possible advantage.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests