Singapore Expats

the “not whiskey” about malaysia

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: the “not whiskey” about malaysia

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 11:33 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:38 pm
taxico wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:26 pm
i forgot. if caught drink driving at a malaysian road block, the unofficial “get out of jail” card costs $5k RMY.

the (3) cops will drive you in their cruiser to a really far away ATM for you to withdraw money then drive you back to your car and wave you through.

there is no negotiating on price. but it beats going to jail and being processed. no, i was not the driver.
Driving in Malaysia already requires heightened defensive skills… I can’t imagine what that’d be like while impaired. Of course, from the lane discipline (lack thereof) displayed by taxi drivers in Malaysia, it’s hard to tell who is impaired and who is jus liddat.
I've been driving in Singapore for 25 years, and more before that in America, but I still haven't driven in JB. Some of my local friends have driven me in, but I refuse to. Roads are crazy bumpy, and drivers are completely insane. Lane discipline is absolutely awful, and nobody respects red lights.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 29 May 2023 11:45 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:33 pm
malcontent wrote:
taxico wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:26 pm
i forgot. if caught drink driving at a malaysian road block, the unofficial “get out of jail” card costs $5k RMY.

the (3) cops will drive you in their cruiser to a really far away ATM for you to withdraw money then drive you back to your car and wave you through.

there is no negotiating on price. but it beats going to jail and being processed. no, i was not the driver.
Driving in Malaysia already requires heightened defensive skills… I can’t imagine what that’d be like while impaired. Of course, from the lane discipline (lack thereof) displayed by taxi drivers in Malaysia, it’s hard to tell who is impaired and who is jus liddat.
I've been driving in Singapore for 25 years, and more before that in America, but I still haven't driven in JB. Some of my local friends have driven me in, but I refuse to. Roads are crazy bumpy, and drivers are completely insane. Lane discipline is absolutely awful, and nobody respects red lights.
It’s not actually that bad, you just have to be a more defensive driver, that is all. No special skills (unlike other ASEAN countries). I’ve driven in Malaysia so many times, it’s actually more fun than here in some ways. Usual precautions apply, similar to the US.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 11:50 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:45 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:

It’s not actually that bad, you just have to be a more defensive driver, that is all. No special skills (unlike other ASEAN countries). I’ve driven in Malaysia so many times, it’s actually more fun than here in some ways. Usual precautions apply, similar to the US.
I am a good driver, but it just doesn't seem worth all the stress and aggravation. It might be fun to drive in the countryside, but getting stuck in hourlong jams only to have to drive among all the crazies just doesn't seem worth it.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 30 May 2023 12:14 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:50 pm
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:45 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

I am a good driver, but it just doesn't seem worth all the stress and aggravation. It might be fun to drive in the countryside, but getting stuck in hourlong jams only to have to drive among all the crazies just doesn't seem worth it.
Ah, the jam can be avoided. Best time to go is the weekend right after a big holiday. I usually get thru in 10-15 mins or less. Tuas is usually best. Just make sure you come back by 3pm on Sun.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:44 am

i forgot to attach pics of us running away the first time.

my home away from home?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 30 May 2023 10:52 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 11:31 pm
Are all cops like this? Or just a few
the road block was very very well staffed. so this wasn’t 2 off duty lone wolf cops with a cone and a whistle…

the reason given for no discount on the bribe requested was coz there’s too many months to feed - including senior officers back at the station.

they were set up exactly where most people leaving the pricey watering holes by car will get stopped.

based on the atm used, the cameras appear to be not working as the suspect was frog marched with two cops at his side. the ride there was friendly enough though.

until the cops realized the suspect couldn’t withdraw the amount required. and that’s where i came in.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 May 2023 11:15 am

taxico wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 10:52 am
Lisafuller wrote:
the road block was very very well staffed. so this wasn’t 2 off duty lone wolf cops with a cone and a whistle…

the reason given for no discount on the bribe requested was coz there’s too many months to feed - including senior officers back at the station.

they were set up exactly where most people leaving the pricey watering holes by car will get stopped.

based on the atm used, the cameras appear to be not working as the suspect was frog marched with two cops at his side. the ride there was friendly enough though.

until the cops realized the suspect couldn’t withdraw the amount required. and that’s where i came in.
Oh shit! There is a similar thing in the PH where you can be accused of having "drugs" on you. The cops will take you to an ATM and basically work you through all your cards and max them out. That includes the passengers.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 12:40 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 11:15 am
taxico wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Oh shit! There is a similar thing in the PH where you can be accused of having "drugs" on you. The cops will take you to an ATM and basically work you through all your cards and max them out. That includes the passengers.
They bankrupt you? That can't be a thing! Don't the ATMs have withdrawal limits?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 12:41 pm

taxico wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

This is infuriating, but it's also really sad. Why can't the government pay their officers enough such that they won't have to resort to this? Gives the country a bad name.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 12:43 pm

taxico wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 10:44 am
i forgot to attach pics of us running away the first time.

my home away from home?
Aw, the little strawberry onesie. I miss when my girl was that age...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 30 May 2023 1:58 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 12:40 pm
PNGMK wrote:
taxico wrote:

They bankrupt you? That can't be a thing! Don't the ATMs have withdrawal limits?
They make you work through all your cards up to the limit. The conventional wisdom was not to carry a lot of cards.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Tue, 30 May 2023 2:37 pm

It's been a good 10 yrs since we did any Malaysia road trips, but we never got hassled. Might be because we drove a '74 volvo which was painted an unfortunate panel van blue. Either it wasn't so prevalent then or they figured we are poor things and no point.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 2:49 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 2:37 pm
It's been a good 10 yrs since we did any Malaysia road trips, but we never got hassled. Might be because we drove a '74 volvo which was painted an unfortunate panel van blue. Either it wasn't so prevalent then or they figured we are poor things and no point.
I've never experienced anything of the sort either, and I've gone in in everything from a Mercedes to a Myvi.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 30 May 2023 2:50 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 1:58 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

They make you work through all your cards up to the limit. The conventional wisdom was not to carry a lot of cards.
Thank god for Ibanking now. You can just carry a token amount of cash and pretend that's all you have.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 30 May 2023 5:40 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 2:50 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 30 May 2023 1:58 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

Thank god for Ibanking now. You can just carry a token amount of cash and pretend that's all you have.
Having (pretending to have) limited or no money has always worked for me when faced with any situation where someone is trying to take me to the cleaners, including in the PH.