Singapore Expats

the “not whiskey” about malaysia

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
taxico
Director
Director

the “not whiskey” about malaysia

Post by taxico » Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:46 pm

so. i’ve been in malaysia for close to a month now. here’s my on-going report on singapore’s northerly neighbor. it may appear to be my grouses but i’m appreciative to being close to singapore’s medical facilities as my wife had ongoing health issues from giving birth to our son and whatever other benefits malaysia has for us.

we’ve primarily escaped north as we’ve been priced out of suitable accommodation in singapore as my free wheeling lifestyle has been financially stymied by a disastrous crypto run and the birth of our son.

and also because i do not wish to live in my wife’s country of origin not be near her family. i definitely do not want to sleep on the freaking “traditional” floor ever again.

fwiw i’m the primary care giver / full time dad to my child. i am extremely stressed and very depressed as i’ve doing this non stop for close to a year now with extremely minimal help from others. i’m not doing a top job of “fathering” but i’m trying my best every day.

(i’m also 99.9999% sure my wife has major post partum depression on top of her other childbirth related health issues.) and i am 100% sure we hate each other. it may or may not pass. anyway, i digress.

we elected to drive up north via a pirate van. our car, a singapore registered corolla was driven up by a friend after i took it out of layup. it will be using used it as a runabout in malaysia until i decide which car to buy locally (my). 30k sgd gets me a brand new car in my.

the roads in residential areas are filled with potholes and humps. on my short drive to my nearby mail, there are 13 humps on one short stretch of road. the humps are of varying sizes most of which are unable to accommodate super cars. the roads are also filled with extremely sharp turns and road markers make no logical sense to be half the time.

i should probably invest in a local driving test guide book.

we’re starting in a 2+1 apartment and rent is less than 6k ringgit pm.

of concern are the regular sound of the azzan which is extremely triggering for me for a variety of reasons (ptsd type mostly), so we’re looking for apartments that minimizes such sounds.

thankfully we found a Serviced Apartment with decent soundproofing and is quite far from their muezzin and for now it’s very bearable except for the predawn calls when things are quiet. i do not believe we can do better in the city so i try to make sure i’m asleep or groggy at that time.

my wife continues to look for a long term apartment we can sign a 2-3 year lease for but none have met our joint requirements thus far. she persists despite being very tired of the realtors baiting and switching.

stuff in the local grocery stores and malls are about the same as in singapore or not cheap enough to make a difference. j costa cup of plain black coffee is 4.20 ringgit.

today i bought an “XL” (more like a ny large) pizza from dominos and it was 36 ringgit which i thought was pretty cheap for a “meat” pizza.

the same goes for grab app which i use everyday. takeout meals are about 20 ringgit. the app continues to promote “contactless” delivery method which means the driver or rider just dumps your food at the pickup/ drop off point bench, takes a picture, and freak off. there is no delivery to the door. ever.

i can see it saves time for them. but i have to head down to pick it up in a 39 floor building with only 2 primary passenger lifts. each floor has 4-6 apartments and floor 1 actually starts from 7th stories up from the ground floor, and with 3 floors of common facilities below floor 1 . sorry if this is confusing.

all floors with the digit “4” have been replaced with “3a”. because asia.

i’m told the local tap water leaves the water plant drinkable. so i’ve brought along a few zero water pitchers to filter out micro plastics from bottled RO water (0.90 ringgit for each 1.5L bottle) until we move and can install our own RO machine.

spam comes wrapped in its own little baggie. because non halal. in the supermarkets, there’s a whole mini supermarket inside the supermarket operated by chinese looking people selling only non halal stuff.

i miss pork and ribs and stuff.

ok. i have alot more in my mind but i’m so tired. bye!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: the “not whiskey” about malaysia

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:17 am

Very interesting report Taxico. Your life has certainly changed. I spend a fair bit of time in Malaysia these days but have never "resided" there. KL looks easy enough but Johor not so much to me.

FYI there is a Mustafa opening in JB near city square.

Get some medical care for your wife (I assume you are) and hire an Amah etc for the child. Don't do it all yourself.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 29 May 2023 12:12 am

ok. not really an update - that’ll come later.

i found that having a timeout in my own space helps when i’m finding my wife extremely supremely disagreeable.

the most logical way of finding this space is by renting one. from a hotel.

one that’s in the same housing development literally right next door - i can book off their website at TA prices.

discounts if you’re a member! free breakfast! points accrual! 2pm late checkout! yay. i cant wait to be upgraded to the “explorist” tier for free room upgrades.

anyway, i did it for the first time by going downstairs to the supermarket with the baby to buy food that’ll last me a day then schlepped across the courtyard to checked in.

i got into my room just in time for my baby’s nap.

as i laid beside my napping infant, i mulled over my life choices.

i decided then to use the VA telehealth service to get some psychological care. i’m not sure if it’ll work out out or if i’ll go even crazier because VA is also equally aggravating.

:P

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 29 May 2023 1:37 am

Hmmm, a business opportunity perhaps. I see lots of self-storage places around Singapore but no man caves to rent. And perhaps the ladies need a hen pod… oh wait, they already rule the roost, don’t they? :lol:
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 May 2023 7:52 am

I didn't realise you're a vet.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 May 2023 8:24 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 1:37 am
Hmmm, a business opportunity perhaps. I see lots of self-storage places around Singapore but no man caves to rent. And perhaps the ladies need a hen pod… oh wait, they already rule the roost, don’t they? :lol:
Hotel 81 is close to the same.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 29 May 2023 12:16 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 8:24 am
malcontent wrote:
"I lub you long tine at Hotel 81."

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 May 2023 1:56 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 12:16 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 8:24 am
malcontent wrote:
"I lub you long tine at Hotel 81."
"Hotel Eight One, Don't tell any one" is their corporate motto.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 4:04 pm

taxico wrote:
Mon, 13 Mar 2023 11:46 pm

so. i’ve been in malaysia for close to a month now. here’s my on-going report on singapore’s northerly neighbor. it may appear to be my grouses but i’m appreciative to being close to singapore’s medical facilities as my wife had ongoing health issues from giving birth to our son and whatever other benefits malaysia has for us.

we’ve primarily escaped north as we’ve been priced out of suitable accommodation in singapore as my free wheeling lifestyle has been financially stymied by a disastrous crypto run and the birth of our son.

and also because i do not wish to live in my wife’s country of origin not be near her family. i definitely do not want to sleep on the freaking “traditional” floor ever again.

fwiw i’m the primary care giver / full time dad to my child. i am extremely stressed and very depressed as i’ve doing this non stop for close to a year now with extremely minimal help from others. i’m not doing a top job of “fathering” but i’m trying my best every day.

(i’m also 99.9999% sure my wife has major post partum depression on top of her other childbirth related health issues.) and i am 100% sure we hate each other. it may or may not pass. anyway, i digress.

we elected to drive up north via a pirate van. our car, a singapore registered corolla was driven up by a friend after i took it out of layup. it will be using used it as a runabout in malaysia until i decide which car to buy locally (my). 30k sgd gets me a brand new car in my.

the roads in residential areas are filled with potholes and humps. on my short drive to my nearby mail, there are 13 humps on one short stretch of road. the humps are of varying sizes most of which are unable to accommodate super cars. the roads are also filled with extremely sharp turns and road markers make no logical sense to be half the time.

i should probably invest in a local driving test guide book.

we’re starting in a 2+1 apartment and rent is less than 6k ringgit pm.

of concern are the regular sound of the azzan which is extremely triggering for me for a variety of reasons (ptsd type mostly), so we’re looking for apartments that minimizes such sounds.

thankfully we found a Serviced Apartment with decent soundproofing and is quite far from their muezzin and for now it’s very bearable except for the predawn calls when things are quiet. i do not believe we can do better in the city so i try to make sure i’m asleep or groggy at that time.

my wife continues to look for a long term apartment we can sign a 2-3 year lease for but none have met our joint requirements thus far. she persists despite being very tired of the realtors baiting and switching.

stuff in the local grocery stores and malls are about the same as in singapore or not cheap enough to make a difference. j costa cup of plain black coffee is 4.20 ringgit.

today i bought an “XL” (more like a ny large) pizza from dominos and it was 36 ringgit which i thought was pretty cheap for a “meat” pizza.

the same goes for grab app which i use everyday. takeout meals are about 20 ringgit. the app continues to promote “contactless” delivery method which means the driver or rider just dumps your food at the pickup/ drop off point bench, takes a picture, and freak off. there is no delivery to the door. ever.

i can see it saves time for them. but i have to head down to pick it up in a 39 floor building with only 2 primary passenger lifts. each floor has 4-6 apartments and floor 1 actually starts from 7th stories up from the ground floor, and with 3 floors of common facilities below floor 1 . sorry if this is confusing.

all floors with the digit “4” have been replaced with “3a”. because asia.

i’m told the local tap water leaves the water plant drinkable. so i’ve brought along a few zero water pitchers to filter out micro plastics from bottled RO water (0.90 ringgit for each 1.5L bottle) until we move and can install our own RO machine.

spam comes wrapped in its own little baggie. because non halal. in the supermarkets, there’s a whole mini supermarket inside the supermarket operated by chinese looking people selling only non halal stuff.

i miss pork and ribs and stuff.

ok. i have alot more in my mind but i’m so tired. bye!
Sounds really rough TaxiCo, but I'm glad you're doing your best to adopt and really admire you for still being an excellent father to your son.

From a female perspective, becoming a mother can be incredibly disorienting. Some have natural maternal instincts and adapt quickly to mom life, but for others it is not so easy. That might help to explain some of what your wife is going through.

Have you considered seeking couples counseling? Or hiring a nanny to alleviate some of the childcare pressure?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 4:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:17 am
Very interesting report Taxico. Your life has certainly changed. I spend a fair bit of time in Malaysia these days but have never "resided" there. KL looks easy enough but Johor not so much to me.

FYI there is a Mustafa opening in JB near city square.

Get some medical care for your wife (I assume you are) and hire an Amah etc for the child. Don't do it all yourself.
We have a place in Danga Bay, which is rented. Nice area, and feels nicer than some SG condos, but once you drive out you remember you're in Msia.

Agree with your recommendation for a helper, I'm assuming labor costs are much lower there so hiring one shouldn't carry the same financial burden that it would here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 4:11 pm

taxico wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 12:12 am
ok. not really an update - that’ll come later.

i found that having a timeout in my own space helps when i’m finding my wife extremely supremely disagreeable.

the most logical way of finding this space is by renting one. from a hotel.

one that’s in the same housing development literally right next door - i can book off their website at TA prices.

discounts if you’re a member! free breakfast! points accrual! 2pm late checkout! yay. i cant wait to be upgraded to the “explorist” tier for free room upgrades.

anyway, i did it for the first time by going downstairs to the supermarket with the baby to buy food that’ll last me a day then schlepped across the courtyard to checked in.

i got into my room just in time for my baby’s nap.

as i laid beside my napping infant, i mulled over my life choices.

i decided then to use the VA telehealth service to get some psychological care. i’m not sure if it’ll work out out or if i’ll go even crazier because VA is also equally aggravating.

:P
Are you American? That explains the PTSD and the VA. Did a tour in a Middle Eastern territory?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 4:12 pm

malcontent wrote:
There are actually more and more coworking spaces popping up around the country, many of which have recreational spaces as well.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 29 May 2023 6:26 pm

i forgot. if caught drink driving at a malaysian road block, the unofficial “get out of jail” card costs $5k RMY.

the (3) cops will drive you in their cruiser to a really far away ATM for you to withdraw money then drive you back to your car and wave you through.

there is no negotiating on price. but it beats going to jail and being processed. no, i was not the driver.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 29 May 2023 6:38 pm

taxico wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:26 pm
i forgot. if caught drink driving at a malaysian road block, the unofficial “get out of jail” card costs $5k RMY.

the (3) cops will drive you in their cruiser to a really far away ATM for you to withdraw money then drive you back to your car and wave you through.

there is no negotiating on price. but it beats going to jail and being processed. no, i was not the driver.
Driving in Malaysia already requires heightened defensive skills… I can’t imagine what that’d be like while impaired. Of course, from the lane discipline (lack thereof) displayed by taxi drivers in Malaysia, it’s hard to tell who is impaired and who is jus liddat.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 29 May 2023 11:31 pm

taxico wrote:
Mon, 29 May 2023 6:26 pm

Are all cops like this? Or just a few