Singapore Expats

Landlord lied to vacate the house!!!

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
spap008

Landlord lied to vacate the house!!!

Post by spap008 » Sun, 12 Mar 2023 1:54 pm

Hi Friends,

I have been staying in this condo for 5 years and I just moved out of there a couple months back. I had renewed my contract for the old place in jun2021 for another 2 years for a rent of $2350, an increase of $250 from previous rent. 7 days after renewing the contract, my landlord, his wife and the agent, incidentally who is also his brother, requested for a meetup and so i did. The landlord told me through the agent that his daughter is getting married in mar23, and she still hasnt got her hdb ready because of the covid delays. He requested if i can vacate the house by oct22 so she can come and stay. As i have been staying in the house with no prior issues or demands from the landlord and considering it a genuine situation i immediately agreed for it. The agent immediately wrote it down on a pice of paper the details and got my and owners signature.
I started looking for another house from that day onwards and boy it was a mayhem! People were renting out shitholes for a premium. I couldnt find a suitable place after searching continuously for a couple of months. Me being a fool, already proven, thought the propert market would cool down maybe after another 6 months, so I got the permission from my company to work from overseas (my natives) for 3 months. I told the same to the owner stating how difficult it is to find a house where you dont feel you are being ripped off so i have decided to stay abroad for a few months.
While at my home after a long search i found a propeety back in SG with a high rent ofourse, coz no other choice. I moved in in mid jan23. All this while i had an inkling that i may have been made fool by my previous landlord. Based on that hunch a few days back i went to my previous apartment on the pretext of getting my mails. When i went a different nationality opened the doors, my landlord is chinese btw. So told the guy who i am and what i want. He was kind enough to help me with my mails. While talking to him i started recoding the converstation and i asked him when he moved and how much rent he is paying, ge answered he moved in around end nov and he is paying 4k, double of what my rent was!
I was shocked angry and dissapointed I still am on how the landlord broke my trust and fooled me, conned me. All that mental and physical anguish i had to bear because of him, money apart, was too much. I want him to pay for what he did.
I need your opinion on what should or could i do? Can i sue him? Should i lodge a police complain? Seek legal advise?
Appreciate your suggestion and guidance.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Landlord lied to vacate the house!!!

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 12 Mar 2023 6:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your plight. But I will tell you honestly and I dont think you will like it. It is not the case that the landlord wanted to make a fool of you, but money makes people do crazy things. The landlord realized too late what the market rent was and how much loss he would be making if he carried on renting to you and so he made a story. You believed him. There is nothing illegal he did, so you dont really have a case. If I were you I wouldnt have tried to go an find out if the landlord made a fool out of me or not. It should be strictly transactional. Either you believe the landlord that he has right on the unit as he is owner and let go of the unit, or you excercise your rights of a tenant and ask for a decent compensation for the hardship. Anyways it shouldnt matter to you whether the landlord's daughter uses the house or he gives it to another tenant.

jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Re: Landlord lied to vacate the house!!!

Post by jwoods1864 » Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:01 pm

spap008 wrote:Hi Friends,

I have been staying in this condo for 5 years and I just moved out of there a couple months back. I had renewed my contract for the old place in jun2021 for another 2 years for a rent of $2350, an increase of $250 from previous rent. 7 days after renewing the contract, my landlord, his wife and the agent, incidentally who is also his brother, requested for a meetup and so i did. The landlord told me through the agent that his daughter is getting married in mar23, and she still hasnt got her hdb ready because of the covid delays. He requested if i can vacate the house by oct22 so she can come and stay. As i have been staying in the house with no prior issues or demands from the landlord and considering it a genuine situation i immediately agreed for it. The agent immediately wrote it down on a pice of paper the details and got my and owners signature.
I started looking for another house from that day onwards and boy it was a mayhem! People were renting out shitholes for a premium. I couldnt find a suitable place after searching continuously for a couple of months. Me being a fool, already proven, thought the propert market would cool down maybe after another 6 months, so I got the permission from my company to work from overseas (my natives) for 3 months. I told the same to the owner stating how difficult it is to find a house where you dont feel you are being ripped off so i have decided to stay abroad for a few months.
While at my home after a long search i found a propeety back in SG with a high rent ofourse, coz no other choice. I moved in in mid jan23. All this while i had an inkling that i may have been made fool by my previous landlord. Based on that hunch a few days back i went to my previous apartment on the pretext of getting my mails. When i went a different nationality opened the doors, my landlord is chinese btw. So told the guy who i am and what i want. He was kind enough to help me with my mails. While talking to him i started recoding the converstation and i asked him when he moved and how much rent he is paying, ge answered he moved in around end nov and he is paying 4k, double of what my rent was!
I was shocked angry and dissapointed I still am on how the landlord broke my trust and fooled me, conned me. All that mental and physical anguish i had to bear because of him, money apart, was too much. I want him to pay for what he did.
I need your opinion on what should or could i do? Can i sue him? Should i lodge a police complain? Seek legal advise?
Appreciate your suggestion and guidance.
Sorry, bro. You can't do shit about any of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk