Singapore Expats

Does anybody know how to get in touch with SIA?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Does anybody know how to get in touch with SIA?

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Feb 2023 1:56 am

I have never been so frustrated.

As some of you know, my daughter is flying back with our dog in about two months. We've already booked her and my husband's tickets that go through Newark with SQ, but haven't been able to add the dog to our reservation. I've tried calling the phone number listed online, to no avail. I've also tried emailing, but each time I am attended to buy a different customer, service representative. Interestingly, while the first names keep changing, not once have I been provided with a last name, which leads me to believe that my questions are being answered by a chat bot. My last resort will be to book an appointment at the SQ service center at ION Orchard, but I'd rather not as I'm busy working and don't see how it can possibly be so difficult to get in contact with somebody that works there.

Has anybody else had this experience? I find it hard to believe that such a premium airline has such awful customer service.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Does anybody know how to get in touch with SIA?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Feb 2023 2:10 am

Their customer service has always been sorry. They don't have to compete, being the national airline. Yes you can take other airlines but I'll have to say that SIA, at least use to, have some of the best inflight service in the sky. However, for me all airlines are nothing but buses with wings and about the longest you would have to stay on one is about 17 or 18 hours SG to Newark. I've ridden on buses half way across the US. I can do 17 hours on a plane standing on my head. Therefore I use United. No worse than any other airline unless you have musical instruments in cargo. Frankly. I've been flying with them for 40 years and have never had a problem either with service (inflight or on the ground) Oh, and while I don't' have any statistics for the covid period, prior to that their reliability was some of the highest in the world. Now if I were taking a vessel to the US I'd obviously look for more comfort. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Fri, 24 Feb 2023 11:05 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 24 Feb 2023 1:56 am

As some of you know, my daughter is flying back with our dog in about two months. We've already booked her and my husband's tickets that go through Newark with SQ, but haven't been able to add the dog to our reservation. I've tried calling the phone number listed online, to no avail. I've also tried emailing, but each time I am attended to buy a different customer, service representative. Interestingly, while the first names keep changing, not once have I been provided with a last name, which leads me to believe that my questions are being answered by a chat bot. My last resort will be to book an appointment at the SQ service center at ION Orchard, but I'd rather not as I'm busy working and don't see how it can possibly be so difficult to get in contact with somebody that works there.

Has anybody else had this experience? I find it hard to believe that such a premium airline has such awful customer service.
You really do want to go to ION Orchard. I fought with SQ for weeks, trying to pay for a ticket to fly a guy from Japan to Kuala Lumpur. He had no credit cards. I could not buy the ticket on my credit card and mail it to him. Phone service was useless. I finally got what I needed at ION center. Pain in the ass but SMS is correct... SQ thinks they are the best thing since indoor toilets and if you have anything out of the ordinary, it's a huge hassle to get fixed.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 24 Feb 2023 2:10 am
Their customer service has always been sorry. They don't have to compete, being the national airline. Yes you can take other airlines but I'll have to say that SIA, at least use to, have some of the best inflight service in the sky. However, for me all airlines are nothing but buses with wings and about the longest you would have to stay on one is about 17 or 18 hours SG to Newark. I've ridden on buses half way across the US. I can do 17 hours on a plane standing on my head. Therefore I use United. No worse than any other airline unless you have musical instruments in cargo. Frankly. I've been flying with them for 40 years and have never had a problem either with service (inflight or on the ground) Oh, and while I don't' have any statistics for the covid period, prior to that their reliability was some of the highest in the world. Now if I were taking a vessel to the US I'd obviously look for more comfort. :cool:
She's flying SG to EWR - 18h25min, the longest flight in the world. She has flight anxiety, so we try to make sure she's as comfortable as possible. For this reason, a long haul on united wouldn't work. She's not like you, too soft and privileged. Does United fly SG to EWR? Had no idea.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:29 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Fri, 24 Feb 2023 11:05 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 24 Feb 2023 1:56 am

You really do want to go to ION Orchard. I fought with SQ for weeks, trying to pay for a ticket to fly a guy from Japan to Kuala Lumpur. He had no credit cards. I could not buy the ticket on my credit card and mail it to him. Phone service was useless. I finally got what I needed at ION center. Pain in the ass but SMS is correct... SQ thinks they are the best thing since indoor toilets and if you have anything out of the ordinary, it's a huge hassle to get fixed.
I've booked an appointment for next week. I'm so annoyed that it had to come to this, I've never had to book an appointment to physically go down and speak to an agent. What's the point of doing things online then? Even lesser airlines like American and JetBlue have phone lines that operate 24/7. Ridiculous.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Feb 2023 12:32 am

Also, the only way it seems like one would be able to speak on the phone with a representative is by being a member of the PPS club. However, it appears that to become a member you'd have to spend thousands on business and first class flights the year before, and membership only lasts a year. How stupid.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 9:14 pm

Made my way down to SIA today for a 2pm appointment. According to their website (and what I was told upon arrival), you have to arrive 15 mins before your appointment time or your appointment will be considered void. Not sure what the point of that is. Anyhow, I was early. Still, I had to wait around 10 mins (after 2) for my queue number to be called.

The lady who attended to me was lovely, but completely useless. She told me that she didn't work with pet transportation, and only dealt with reservations so she did not have the information I needed. This was in spite of the fact that i had indicated needing help with pet transportation when booking my appointment. I told her I had tried everything else, and she told me that I could try the customer service phone up front, where you get paired up with a customer service representative and speak to them over a video call, as if you're in a meeting. The idea is nice, but I'm not sure why I needed to make an appointment and go through all the effort of coming down in person if all they would do was direct me to the booths anyway.

The lady I spoke to in the booth was a little more knowledgeable, though she still wasn't able to give me a concrete answer on how to ensure our dog is accepted onto the flight. Still have many unanswered questions. Overall, very dissatisfied with the SQ customer service.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 9:15 pm

Seems like they really don't bother with you unless you're a member of the PPS club/flying first.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Wed, 01 Mar 2023 7:47 am

Have you used the chat in the app or website? That helped me recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 6:31 pm

Flew SIN-JFK recently. It was a pleasant long haul flight on premium economy but SQ cracked my luggage. The airline rep at JFK had me fill out a form and SQ has not gotten back to me yet… at this rate I don’t expect them to. Not even half-way through my vacation yet.

Lucky my travel insurance reimbursed me in cash the day after. Gotta make do with some duct tape in the mean time.

The immigration lines at JFK were crazy long, even for US citizens. Hubby and I paid for Global Entry and we breezed through in 5-10 mins.

Wouldn’t a pet relocation company help with moving your dog though?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:33 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Wed, 01 Mar 2023 7:47 am
Have you used the chat in the app or website? That helped me recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was the first thing I tried, completely useless.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:36 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Sun, 23 Apr 2023 6:31 pm
Flew SIN-JFK recently. It was a pleasant long haul flight on premium economy but SQ cracked my luggage. The airline rep at JFK had me fill out a form and SQ has not gotten back to me yet… at this rate I don’t expect them to. Not even half-way through my vacation yet.

Lucky my travel insurance reimbursed me in cash the day after. Gotta make do with some duct tape in the mean time.

The immigration lines at JFK were crazy long, even for US citizens. Hubby and I paid for Global Entry and we breezed through in 5-10 mins.

Wouldn’t a pet relocation company help with moving your dog though?
Didn't know they flew SIN-JFK. We had tickets for SIN-EWR. I had originally worried about the lines, so I wanted to try applying for pre-check or global entry, but both require a physical interview in the states (which would paradoxically require me to first pass through the lines) while global entry takes 90 days to process so it looks like we'll have to give it a miss.

As for the pet relocation companies, we inquired with several and were quoted anywhere from $7000-$10,000 which is crazy.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Sun, 23 Apr 2023 11:59 pm

If you input New York as the destination in the SQ website, and select “all destinations”, you get EWR and JFK as well as the transit flight in Frankfurt.

I did my global entry interview at the US embassy in SG last year. They just captured my prints and face. There were no slots initially so I dropped them an email and they said slots would open up in a few weeks so I just logged in periodically, saw slots, and booked for myself & hubby. I applied in Aug, got conditional approval a few days later, booked my Dec interview slot in Sept.

My understanding is that you can also do the global entry interview on arrival at the airport too.

From my experience, the plane ticket for a pet takes up majority of the cost.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 Apr 2023 11:15 pm

I called Global Entry a while back and was told that the appointment venues listed on the website were the only available venues. There's nothing in Singapore, only within the US. Seems like we'll have to give it a mess until we are living there.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 25 Apr 2023 8:27 am

How long ago was “a while back”? I interviewed at SG’s US Embassy in Dec last year and saw at least 5 others in front of me who interviewed as well. Four months ago is fairly recent to me.

If you click “Other Countries” in this website, you’ll see SG’s US Embassy is one of the locations. But slots are notoriously difficult to acquire which is why they ask you to interview on arrival at the participating US airports instead.