Singapore Expats

Does anybody know how to get in touch with SIA?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Does anybody know how to get in touch with SIA?

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:20 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:55 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:36 pm
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 27 Apr 2023 2:35 am
I don’t have Global Entry. From the multiple trips I’ve taken to the US over the past 10 months, it’s been hit or miss on wait times at immigration. Depends how many international flights came in just before yours. When it’s bad, it can be an extra hour waiting in line. When it’s good, almost no wait at all (but then you’ll still have to wait for luggage).

I’m thinking about applying for Global Entry as well. It also comes with TSA pre-check, which can save time too. Are you paying out of pocket? I’m thinking about applying for the United Explorer card which is $0 annual fee for the first year and reimburses the Global Entry fee plus 70k bonus miles. It’s hard to pass all that up!
The flight to Newark is standard and comes in at 6 AM every day. I'm hoping that since it's so early in the morning, the airport will be less crowded, but you never know.

How much is the annual fee after the first year?
From what I read online, it’s US$100 for 5 years, so not too bad. Several credit cards reimburse this fee, but most charge an annual fee that can’t be waived.

From what I’ve read online, United Explorer is the best deal because the annual fee is waived the first year, but they will still reimburse your fee for Global Entry, even if you cancel within a year. You also get the sign up bonus miles and some other perks if you fly UA.
Sounds almost too good to be true. Seems like a pretty obvious loophole that they should have patched up, but either way it's to our benefit. I haven't flown United in a very long time, since I normally fly BA which partners with American for the second leg of the journey into the US. I've been wary of United ever since that one incident of violence against the poor Asian doctor.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 29 Apr 2023 1:34 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:20 pm
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:36 pm

The flight to Newark is standard and comes in at 6 AM every day. I'm hoping that since it's so early in the morning, the airport will be less crowded, but you never know.

How much is the annual fee after the first year?
From what I read online, it’s US$100 for 5 years, so not too bad. Several credit cards reimburse this fee, but most charge an annual fee that can’t be waived.

From what I’ve read online, United Explorer is the best deal because the annual fee is waived the first year, but they will still reimburse your fee for Global Entry, even if you cancel within a year. You also get the sign up bonus miles and some other perks if you fly UA.
Sounds almost too good to be true. Seems like a pretty obvious loophole that they should have patched up, but either way it's to our benefit. I haven't flown United in a very long time, since I normally fly BA which partners with American for the second leg of the journey into the US. I've been wary of United ever since that one incident of violence against the poor Asian doctor.
Yeah, I remember that one. UA are trying to clean up their image and have made some improvements, but still ain’t that great. I took AA last Dec and have to say it was a much better experience. I’d say Delta is better too. But when you fly into Chicago regularly like I do, it’s hard to avoid UA.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 Apr 2023 9:53 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 29 Apr 2023 1:34 am
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:

Yeah, I remember that one. UA are trying to clean up their image and have made some improvements, but still ain’t that great. I took AA last Dec and have to say it was a much better experience. I’d say Delta is better too. But when you fly into Chicago regularly like I do, it’s hard to avoid UA.
I have the option to choose between the three major domestic airlines flying from Newark to Miami. United is the cheapest at around 490 USD, while American follows closely after at around 550 USD. Delta is by far the most expensive, starting at around 650 USD. I was looking into all three and it seems like the differences between UA and AA are negligible. I had always thought of Delta as the inferior airline, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, if anything, from the reviews I've read it is the best of the three.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:45 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 29 Apr 2023 9:53 pm
malcontent wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

I have the option to choose between the three major domestic airlines flying from Newark to Miami. United is the cheapest at around 490 USD, while American follows closely after at around 550 USD. Delta is by far the most expensive, starting at around 650 USD. I was looking into all three and it seems like the differences between UA and AA are negligible. I had always thought of Delta as the inferior airline, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, if anything, from the reviews I've read it is the best of the three.
The problem with domestic flights is that they charge for meals, luggage and seat assignments. I took a couple domestic flights on both AA and UA last Dec and found AA to be better. But was the difference enough to pay even $60 for? No. It is more about luck of which airline crew you get stuck with rather than which airline you pick. I would just go with the cheapest, honestly — and that is the exact reason I ended up taking both AA and UA. I had the same experience with Delta, almost double the price, sorry - not happening.

Incidentally, for the last 15 years or so, I have credited all of my miles to the UA, AA and Delta programs. I ditched Krisflyer because they expire after 36 months with no way to extend. Worst case with US airlines, you just donate 500 miles to a worthy cause to extend. The miles I used to issue my AA flight back in Dec were well over 10 years old.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 30 Apr 2023 5:34 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:45 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 29 Apr 2023 9:53 pm
malcontent wrote:

The problem with domestic flights is that they charge for meals, luggage and seat assignments. I took a couple domestic flights on both AA and UA last Dec and found AA to be better. But was the difference enough to pay even $60 for? No. It is more about luck of which airline crew you get stuck with rather than which airline you pick. I would just go with the cheapest, honestly — and that is the exact reason I ended up taking both AA and UA. I had the same experience with Delta, almost double the price, sorry - not happening.

Incidentally, for the last 15 years or so, I have credited all of my miles to the UA, AA and Delta programs. I ditched Krisflyer because they expire after 36 months with no way to extend. Worst case with US airlines, you just donate 500 miles to a worthy cause to extend. The miles I used to issue my AA flight back in Dec were well over 10 years old.
Actually, I believe for the prices I quoted, a free meal, snacks, seat selection, and two free checked bags are included. Still, I'm not too confident that all that even justifies the ticket price.

Just curious, in what ways was AA better than UA?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 30 Apr 2023 7:21 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 30 Apr 2023 5:34 pm
Just curious, in what ways was AA better than UA?
They let me choose a decent aisle seat at no cost and the flight crew were more pleasant. That is really about all. Nothing to crow about.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 01 May 2023 12:11 am

I prefer direct flights for domestic travel in the US due to paranoia of losing my luggage in the transit airport after manpower shortage thanks to covid. Only have experience with Delta & United within US and the service has almost no difference. Professional and pleasant enough. I don’t mind paying more for direct flights.

For international flights, the United attendants were a tiny bit snappy. You won’t suffer on the flight but if you’re used to SQ, service expectations have to be adjusted. I remembered the United passengers on the international flight were super messy, strewing blankets, pillows, plastic wrappers on the floor.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 May 2023 12:42 am

My last trip in March I had to take United direct to SF. One very noticeable difference between UA vs. ANA (which I usually take) on international is more American customers (for better or worse) but overall the non-stop flight to SF was pretty good - food portions were larger & better quality, seats more comfortable, service was ok.

Can’t really complain, but I will be back on ANA next time (if I can help it) to avoid domestic.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 01 May 2023 7:18 pm

Any flight out of SG probably has their food provided by SATS catering. I too have flown SG-SFO on United a few years ago and found United’s food to be the same as SQ. Seat wise, it was alright, maybe slightly bigger. I remember they don’t provide headphones like SQ and you have to bring your own.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 May 2023 8:19 pm

IMO, it is hard to generalise based on airline name alone. Even the longhaul flights to/from various regions, you need to know what equipment each airline is running on the particular route (and flight number if multiple flights per route) if you care about condition, seat type, seat configuration, etc. At the end of the day, most are about the same and not worth any large price differential to me. I prefer:
a) direct flight to destination (not possible to all places from here)
b) one transfer internationally and then direct to destination (avoid pickup baggage domestically and re-check). Possible for more destinations but not everywhere.

Outside of the direct flights, can also consider going through the Middle East, although this usually only makes sense if going to US East Cost/Central part of the country (US West Coast is better to fly direct or transfer in Asia). Through London (or a couple other European cities) probably has most of the same options as well.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 May 2023 10:49 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 01 May 2023 7:18 pm
Any flight out of SG probably has their food provided by SATS catering. I too have flown SG-SFO on United a few years ago and found United’s food to be the same as SQ. Seat wise, it was alright, maybe slightly bigger. I remember they don’t provide headphones like SQ and you have to bring your own.
I can just tell you that ANA from Singapore to Tokyo does not have the best food quality, same for Tokyo to US. I mean, it is edible, but portion is small and it’s junkie. The bread roll for example, it’s hard, tasteless and dry, even butter doesn’t help much.

On one of the my ANA flights I tried getting the Hindu meal (an Indian friend of mine had always encouraged me to try it, since he knows how much I like Indian food) and it was slightly better - at least it had some flavor, but the chapati was not the best.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 May 2023 11:00 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 May 2023 8:19 pm
IMO, it is hard to generalise based on airline name alone. Even the longhaul flights to/from various regions, you need to know what equipment each airline is running on the particular route (and flight number if multiple flights per route) if you care about condition, seat type, seat configuration, etc. At the end of the day, most are about the same and not worth any large price differential to me. I prefer:
b) one transfer internationally and then direct to destination (avoid pickup baggage domestically and re-check). Possible for more destinations but not everywhere.

Outside of the direct flights, can also consider going through the Middle East, although this usually only makes sense if going to US East Cost/Central part of the country (US West Coast is better to fly direct or transfer in Asia). Through London (or a couple other European cities) probably has most of the same options as well.
Yes, that is the main reason to avoid a domestic leg - on the inbound, you’ve got to go thru immigration, baggage claim, customs, then recheck your bags… then, go thru baggage claim again at your final destination. At least you don’t have to do so on the way back, but still - what a pain.

I avoid transiting via London and Paris, both airports can be a real pain. I prefer Frankfurt or Amsterdam if going that route - and it can be a better way if you are headed for the east coast, and especially Miami, but tickets tend to be a bit pricier.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 May 2023 11:34 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 May 2023 11:00 pm
NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 May 2023 8:19 pm

Yes, that is the main reason to avoid a domestic leg - on the inbound, you’ve got to go thru immigration, baggage claim, customs, then recheck your bags… then, go thru baggage claim again at your final destination. At least you don’t have to do so on the way back, but still - what a pain.

I avoid transiting via London and Paris, both airports can be a real pain. I prefer Frankfurt or Amsterdam if going that route - and it can be a better way if you are headed for the east coast, and especially Miami, but tickets tend to be a bit pricier.
I'm not familiar with the European airports at all. I'd probably sort by some combination of cost and connection time. I assume the various connection cities also have a differing number of connecting flight options based on the US alliance airline, so it may also depend on where you are trying to get to.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 05 May 2023 6:15 am

Well SQ made another crack in my luggage on the flight back to SG and they still have not gotten back to me for the initial flight to the US. This is getting funny at this point. More money from travel insurance then.

Delta airlines didn’t even make any new cracks at all but SQ did. That or JFK airport sucks at handling bags. *shrug*

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 05 May 2023 7:43 am

I prefer to fly direct into my final destination in the US. I've flown into Charlotte from Europe a few times to do that (we have a home in NC). Also Seattle where my BIL lives. I really don't like US domestic flights.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!