Singapore Expats

Anyone with in Singapore but live in Batam?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
RichardOrme

Anyone with in Singapore but live in Batam?

Post by RichardOrme » Sun, 19 Feb 2023 2:07 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here so take it easy. I am a British citizen and I have an option to come and set up the Talent department for my company in Singapore. Looking at costs of schools, accommodation etc in Singapore and also having an indonesian wife it made more sense to move to batam and get the ferry daily. Anyone else done this as would welcome any advice.

Kind regards

Richard

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Anyone with in Singapore but live in Batam?

Post by malcontent » Mon, 20 Feb 2023 8:25 pm

Let me try and break the stunned silence on the board here… you are suggesting a commute, both ways, Singapore-BTM, BTM-Singapore every single weekday? That means clearing customs and immigration on both sides, daily. Getting from the port to wherever you live/work on each side, daily. To be perfectly honest, it’s seriously exhausting just to think about it.

If I were forced into such an arrangement, I would only commute once a week into Singapore. For example, arrive Sunday night and then return to Batam on Friday night. Then I would rent a room for S$500-600/mo in Singapore to sleep during weekdays.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 1:49 am

RichardOrme wrote:
Sun, 19 Feb 2023 2:07 pm
Hi all,

Newbie here so take it easy. I am a British citizen and I have an option to come and set up the Talent department for my company in Singapore. Looking at costs of schools, accommodation etc in Singapore and also having an indonesian wife it made more sense to move to batam and get the ferry daily. Anyone else done this as would welcome any advice.

Kind regards

Richard
That's completely absurd, even if it is possible in theory, the costs of the commute, both financial and emotional, would take a toll on you very quickly.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 1:56 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 20 Feb 2023 8:25 pm
Let me try and break the stunned silence on the board here… you are suggesting a commute, both ways, Singapore-BTM, BTM-Singapore every single weekday? That means clearing customs and immigration on both sides, daily. Getting from the port to wherever you live/work on each side, daily. To be perfectly honest, it’s seriously exhausting just to think about it.

If I were forced into such an arrangement, I would only commute once a week into Singapore. For example, arrive Sunday night and then return to Batam on Friday night. Then I would rent a room for S$500-600/mo in Singapore to sleep during weekdays.
The $500 would probably look a little more like $1000 in this market, but worth every penny considering the alternative.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 7:43 am

Not worth it unless you're going to be working from home at least half the time and have flexible hours when you do commute to the office.

Other than that, I'd say that Mals suggestion to rent a room in Singapore is a much better compromise.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:14 am

The assumption in this is that Indonesian immigration are going to let you back in every day (hint; they won't - not without a KITAS or KITAP).

There ARE long term Batam residents who live there and work on contract in Singapore - offshore oil workers, divers etc and there is a small resident population of retire expats.

JB would be perhaps a better choice but honestly everyone who has tried living in either Batam or JB knows that a daily commute just isn't possible.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 9:50 am

daily commute in JB, it is possible but prepare to wake up at 5am, reach home at 9pm.
During PH eve or long holiday, prepare 3-4 hrs to clear custom.

Can ask those Malaysian who stay in JB and commute daily.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 10:12 am

Daily commute to and fro Batam sounds pretty exhausting. Agree with malcontent for only once a week, but definitely not daily commutes.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:04 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 1:56 am
malcontent wrote:

The $500 would probably look a little more like $1000 in this market, but worth every penny considering the alternative.
I know room rents got inflated during the lockdowns… has it not come back down? I can’t imagine paying $1000/mo for an HDB room with a common toilet, unless it’s in a prime area. For that kind of money, I might look for a place to pitch a tent!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 9:50 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:04 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:

I know room rents got inflated during the lockdowns… has it not come back down? I can’t imagine paying $1000/mo for an HDB room with a common toilet, unless it’s in a prime area. For that kind of money, I might look for a place to pitch a tent!
Last I heard, 1000 is the norm, with 1200 for a common room getting snapped up as well.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:16 am

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 7:43 am
Not worth it unless you're going to be working from home at least half the time and have flexible hours when you do commute to the office.

Other than that, I'd say that Mals suggestion to rent a room in Singapore is a much better compromise.
I'd say as long as he needs to be at the office at all living offshore wouldn't be an option.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:17 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:14 am
The assumption in this is that Indonesian immigration are going to let you back in every day (hint; they won't - not without a KITAS or KITAP).

There ARE long term Batam residents who live there and work on contract in Singapore - offshore oil workers, divers etc and there is a small resident population of retire expats.

JB would be perhaps a better choice but honestly everyone who has tried living in either Batam or JB knows that a daily commute just isn't possible.
Actually, people living in JB do commute to Singapore on the daily for work, the exchange rate makes a huge difference to their salaries so they're willing to make the trip.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:18 am

therat wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 9:50 am
daily commute in JB, it is possible but prepare to wake up at 5am, reach home at 9pm.
During PH eve or long holiday, prepare 3-4 hrs to clear custom.

Can ask those Malaysian who stay in JB and commute daily.
I'd say even earlier, in addition to employees, there are a lot of children who cross the border every day to go to school here, I saw a video from CNA on it, they get up at like three or four.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:18 am

abbby wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 10:12 am
Daily commute to and fro Batam sounds pretty exhausting. Agree with malcontent for only once a week, but definitely not daily commutes.
You would commute once a week? I know I absolutely wouldn't. If the job paid well enough, I'd just settle here instead.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:19 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:04 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:

Prices are crazy right now! Apparently they're up to 70% more than they were last year, so I believe that's an understatement.