Singapore Expats

Anyone with in Singapore but live in Batam?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Anyone with in Singapore but live in Batam?

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 8:33 pm

therat wrote:
Mon, 27 Feb 2023 1:32 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Feb 2023 4:45 pm

I learned recently that HDB offers residents the option to buy back the recess area in front of their unit, provided it meets certain conditions. A nice way to expand the home, though it only applies to older flats.
https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/livi ... ecess-area
Need to meet all these requirement.

Downsize is .. when you want to sell. Does the buyer want these recess area or not.

I come across a unit when I'm looking a resale flat.
I pass that unit. as it come with recess area which I don't need.
Why I need to pay extra for a excess area which is at the common area that every neighbor need to pass thru. I cannot gate it. Basically it is a white elephant
you can't gate it? I recall seeing a video where someone turned the recess area into a larger entryway to the home.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 8:35 pm

therat wrote:
Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:52 am
Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 25 Feb 2023 10:29 pm
NYY1 wrote:
Sat, 25 Feb 2023 3:42 pm

I see. Most of these (newer) floor plans are pretty efficient, with slight variations around the kitchen, yard, and shelter/storage area. I wish more of them had a (small) balcony or (large) planter box off the living area to dry clothes.
This is the actual layout of my house. The place where it says balcony in the living room is not really a balcony, I dont know why it says that. That is where we keep our TV.

This is a very old HDB flat. Build before late 1990s
There are no bomb shelter.
This is some thing I wish condoa had, though I know the threat of being bombed is slim, they make really good store rooms. The store room in my home is pathetic, like a broom closet.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 8:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 27 Feb 2023 12:42 pm
I also have a late 80's 5i (non-corner built 88-89) no bomb shelter but my 5i is a 4 BR unit so no dining room per se (is part of hall). Mine is a wee bit larger (1305 sq/ft) It's a low floor unit that I bought on the resale market after the Asian Financial Meltdown of 1997 when the property market bottomed out in Jan 1999. Market started rebounding in Mar 99 so got a good deal. Bought it at valuation (no COV). The BRs are 3 same size (give or take a bit-like WD40's) and larger MstBr. (none are the half-BR/Den size in some newer flats). Balcony was weatherproofed by original owner (who I bought it from) and is located off both hall and 4th BR. It became my workshop.
This is what I mean... what the hell is a 5i??? 1305 is massive for a HDB though, you have it good!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:26 pm

5i is actually defined as having either 3 bedrooms, dining room & living room (or Hall in the local vernacular) or 4 bedrooms and living room. Hall is usually large enough to hold a minimum of 6 to 8 seat dining table as well as a set of normal Living Room furniture 3-2-1 seats entertainment centre etc etc.

And yeah, that's why I don't upgrade. Upgrade to a condo? at my age? Nah, when I bought this place it was a 2nd story walkup. 5~7 years ago we got lift upgrading and the new elevator shaft is right beside the staircase which serves only two units on each floor. Now I have lift access 10 steps from my door. Oh and the property prices are starting to climb again even though the age is get up there as they are building an MRT station in our town centre which will only be a 5 minute walk from my flat. No complaints here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:54 pm

Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:26 pm
5i is actually defined as having either 3 bedrooms, dining room & living room (or Hall in the local vernacular) or 4 bedrooms and living room. Hall is usually large enough to hold a minimum of 6 to 8 seat dining table as well as a set of normal Living Room furniture 3-2-1 seats entertainment centre etc etc.

And yeah, that's why I don't upgrade. Upgrade to a condo? at my age? Nah, when I bought this place it was a 2nd story walkup. 5~7 years ago we got lift upgrading and the new elevator shaft is right beside the staircase which serves only two units on each floor. Now I have lift access 10 steps from my door. Oh and the property prices are starting to climb again even though the age is get up there as they are building an MRT station in our town centre which will only be a 5 minute walk from my flat. No complaints here.
Years ago, at least the condo was giving you more space but now that is gone. Of course, there are other attributes with the condo like environment, facilities, status (for those that care), and location (some areas are condo heavy). But for the nuts and bolts of living, I'd put more weight into nearby amenities, transportation, facing/view (can be limited in some HDBs but also nothing short of terrible in some condos; it all depends).

For example, the 4 room and 5 room HDBs at 1,000 and 1,200 square feet are quite competitive (layout wise) with most mass market 3 BR condos (probably 900 - 1,100 square feet) (and the same probably holds true for a 3 room HDB vs. 2 BR condo).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:07 pm

And to sweeten the pot one side of the flat (MBR & BRs 2 & 3) is facing a reasonably large park which gives excellent cross ventilation with garden, exercise area, BBQ pit and full sized popular basketball court with concrete bleachers on one side. I also have membership (cheap) to the Kovan Swimming Complex which is only a 5 minute bus ride by no less than 7 different buses from two bus stops less than 5 minutes from my flat. and 10 minutes (2.4 km) from NEX. Years ago before I retired I often walked home from work (alighted at the Serangoon MRT).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:56 am

I see, I've actually never heard it called a hall before. I don't understand why upgrading would be undesirable, apart from the fact that you're already comfortable where you are. But perhaps that is the point, to each his own, I wouldn't leave my home for the world just as you wouldn't yours.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:57 am

NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:54 pm

Years ago, at least the condo was giving you more space but now that is gone. Of course, there are other attributes with the condo like environment, facilities, status (for those that care), and location (some areas are condo heavy). But for the nuts and bolts of living, I'd put more weight into nearby amenities, transportation, facing/view (can be limited in some HDBs but also nothing short of terrible in some condos; it all depends).

For example, the 4 room and 5 room HDBs at 1,000 and 1,200 square feet are quite competitive (layout wise) with most mass market 3 BR condos (probably 900 - 1,100 square feet) (and the same probably holds true for a 3 room HDB vs. 2 BR condo).
I actually have the impression that the newer flats are smaller than older ones, so condos would afford you more space.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:58 am

Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:07 pm
And to sweeten the pot one side of the flat (MBR & BRs 2 & 3) is facing a reasonably large park which gives excellent cross ventilation with garden, exercise area, BBQ pit and full sized popular basketball court with concrete bleachers on one side. I also have membership (cheap) to the Kovan Swimming Complex which is only a 5 minute bus ride by no less than 7 different buses from two bus stops less than 5 minutes from my flat. and 10 minutes (2.4 km) from NEX. Years ago before I retired I often walked home from work (alighted at the Serangoon MRT).
In this heat? You're a trooper. But yes, location sounds great, though I've always been partial to the central west area.

When we bought our house in Bukit Timah some 20 years ago, it was completely inaccessible without a car. Today, we have an MRT that's slated for completion in the next two years, two bus stops within 100 m and a walking bridge that leads to the nearest strip mall. All the walkways are covered as well which is nice

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 2:48 am

My son is in your area. He bought a 5i about the same size as mine but with a different 3 BR layout. he's only 8 minute walk from the LRT and 5 minute walk to the Phoenix MRT downtown line (which he takes to his Barbershop that is across the street from the Jalan Besar station DT22 and one block in on Mayo Lane. However, his place is a PITA to use public transport to get there from my place in Serangoon North due the the Macritchie pond. LOL

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 5:08 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:57 am
NYY1 wrote:

I actually have the impression that the newer flats are smaller than older ones, so condos would afford you more space.
The typical dimensions of the current builds of each are above. 3 BR vs. 3 BR (4 room or 5 room HDB), a condo usually isn't any bigger. Even some 4 BR condos are 1,2xx square feet these days.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 8:13 am

Lisafuller wrote:
NYY1 wrote:

Newer condos are getting smaller and smaller. Unless you are willing to spend $$$$$. I doubt that would suit the average middle class retiree. Staying put in your old condo or "downgrading" to an HDB is the way to go in retirement.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:01 am

I found this web.
Detail explain what does HDB flat 5I 4I mean

https://www.teoalida.com/singapore/hdbflattypes/

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:16 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 27 Feb 2023 8:33 pm
therat wrote:
Mon, 27 Feb 2023 1:32 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Feb 2023 4:45 pm

I learned recently that HDB offers residents the option to buy back the recess area in front of their unit, provided it meets certain conditions. A nice way to expand the home, though it only applies to older flats.
https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/livi ... ecess-area
Need to meet all these requirement.

Downsize is .. when you want to sell. Does the buyer want these recess area or not.

I come across a unit when I'm looking a resale flat.
I pass that unit. as it come with recess area which I don't need.
Why I need to pay extra for a excess area which is at the common area that every neighbor need to pass thru. I cannot gate it. Basically it is a white elephant
you can't gate it? I recall seeing a video where someone turned the recess area into a larger entryway to the home.
bcoz that recess area and the unit is separate by a common corridor.
If gate up, mean the neighbor inside cannot walk to the lift.
The unit is just next to the lift and there are few unit inside along that common corridor.

I dont understand why the owner purchase that recess area. waste money

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Feb 2023 1:36 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Tue, 28 Feb 2023 5:08 am
Lisafuller wrote:
NYY1 wrote:

The typical dimensions of the current builds of each are above. 3 BR vs. 3 BR (4 room or 5 room HDB), a condo usually isn't any bigger. Even some 4 BR condos are 1,2xx square feet these days.
Ahh, you were talking about new flats in relation to new condos. In that case, I absolutely agree. All homes nowadays are getting smaller, in addition the older condos used to have the benefit of offering longer tenures, but now that's gone too. I was lucky to get a freehold unit, these days most offer 99 year leases.