Singapore Expats

Not sure whether to renounce citizenship yet

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ThrinayanS

Not sure whether to renounce citizenship yet

Post by ThrinayanS » Fri, 17 Feb 2023 8:14 pm

I am a 16 year old who is at the final stage of citizenship application. While i understand that minors can maintain dual nationality in Singapore till 21, my country of citizenship(india) does not allow dual citizenship. Should I just renounce citizenship after registration or wait for the letter asking to take ORAL. For context, I applied under students scheme so I am a independent applicant, ie no sponsor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: Not sure whether to renounce citizenship yet

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 17 Feb 2023 9:04 pm

ThrinayanS wrote:
Fri, 17 Feb 2023 8:14 pm
I am a 16 year old who is at the final stage of citizenship application. While i understand that minors can maintain dual nationality in Singapore till 21, my country of citizenship(india) does not allow dual citizenship. Should I just renounce citizenship after registration or wait for the letter asking to take ORAL. For context, I applied under students scheme so I am a independent applicant, ie no sponsor

How can you register without cancellation? Usually after approval and completion of citizenship journey, they will ask you to renounce and come in person for registration and oral oath taking. Between, the citizenship letter will clearly indicate when to renounce. Follow your letter from ICA.

ThrinayanS

Post by ThrinayanS » Fri, 17 Feb 2023 9:06 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
ThrinayanS wrote:

How can you register without cancellation? Usually after approval and completion of citizenship journey, they will ask you to renounce and come in person for registration and oral oath taking. Between, the citizenship letter will clearly indicate when to renounce. Follow your letter from ICA.
Hello that is because at the time of application i was under 16 so i didn’t have to renounce citizenship

david85

Post by david85 » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 2:52 pm

if your citizenship application is approved and you are under 21 year old, ICA will not require you to renounce your Indian citizenship, you can keep it until 21 year old. Once you reach your 21 year old birthday, you will receive letter from ICA asking you to renounce Indian citizenship. In my opinion, just complete your SGC first and there is no harm to keep Indian citizenship. Once you reach 21 year old you have 1 year, which is a lot of time, to do the renunciation.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 5:23 pm

It's not going to happen (dual citizenship) you will have to renounce Indian citizenship before you will be allow to take the oath. You are not allowed to hold dual citizenship unless you have one parent who was legally married to a Singaporean at the time of your birth.

https://www.dualcitizenshipreport.org/d ... singapore/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ThrinayanS

Post by ThrinayanS » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 5:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's not going to happen (dual citizenship) you will have to renounce Indian citizenship before you will be allow to take the oath. You are not allowed to hold dual citizenship unless you have one parent who was legally married to a Singaporean at the time of your birth.

No i don’t have to take the ORAL cos i am under 21 and am legally allowed to maintain dual citizenship status till the age of 21

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 6:11 pm

Link please.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:25 pm

I believe what ThrinayanS is saying is correct. He has to renounce before taking the oath (ORAL) but he doesn't need to take the oath (ORAL) until he turns 21 (or more specifically, before he turns 22). It is the same for kids that received SC by descent and foreign citizenship by birth. Often, the foreign citizenship cannot be renounced until the age of majority (typically 18 yrs old elsewhere). I guess they (ICA) could do a country by country check to see when the applicant could indeed renounce while still a minor.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/reside/citizensh ... ath-taking

david85

Post by david85 » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:30 pm

david85

Post by david85 » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 10:01 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:25 pm
I believe what ThrinayanS is saying is correct. He has to renounce before taking the oath (ORAL) but he doesn't need to take the oath (ORAL) until he turns 21 (or more specifically, before he turns 22). It is the same for kids that received SC by descent and foreign citizenship by birth. Often, the foreign citizenship cannot be renounced until the age of majority (typically 18 yrs old elsewhere). I guess they (ICA) could do a country by country check to see when the applicant could indeed renounce while still a minor.

ICA won’t bother about the age of majority of the foreign country. It just follow Singapore law which does not allow dual citizenship beyond the age of 21. As simple as that.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 11:03 pm

david85 wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 10:01 pm
NYY1 wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 8:25 pm

ICA won’t bother about the age of majority of the foreign country. It just follow Singapore law which does not allow dual citizenship beyond the age of 21. As simple as that.
I'm not sure you fully understand what is being said and why.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Tue, 21 Feb 2023 11:05 pm

ThrinayanS wrote:

Hi and congrats. Just curious, when did you come to Singapore and how/when did you obtain PR (student scheme or is your family also PR but only you want to pursue SC)?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:41 am

NYY1 wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 11:05 pm
ThrinayanS wrote:

Hi and congrats. Just curious, when did you come to Singapore and how/when did you obtain PR (student scheme or is your family also PR but only you want to pursue SC)?
LOL, at first, I thought the OP was trying to renounce Singaporean citizenship and was so confused.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:42 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 5:23 pm
It's not going to happen (dual citizenship) you will have to renounce Indian citizenship before you will be allow to take the oath. You are not allowed to hold dual citizenship unless you have one parent who was legally married to a Singaporean at the time of your birth.

I recall reading that if the child acquired SC by birth and foreign citizenship by descent he would be able to keep the citizenship as long as he did not exercise his citizenship rights.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:43 am

ThrinayanS wrote:
Tue, 21 Feb 2023 5:37 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's not going to happen (dual citizenship) you will have to renounce Indian citizenship before you will be allow to take the oath. You are not allowed to hold dual citizenship unless you have one parent who was legally married to a Singaporean at the time of your birth.

No i don’t have to take the ORAL cos i am under 21 and am legally allowed to maintain dual citizenship status till the age of 21

Honestly, I wouldn't complicate things. I feel like this is the kind of situation where you cross that bridge when you get to it. If you renounce your Indian citizenship without having first taken the oath, solidifying your status as a citizen, you may risk becoming stateless.