Singapore Expats

Stupid news articles

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Stupid news articles

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 08 May 2023 3:22 am

jalanjalan wrote:
Fri, 05 May 2023 10:32 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Thu, 04 May 2023 9:07 pm

You're doing a great job of exaggeration with "streets and streets of addicts lying in their own waste." And your callous disregard for human life is disturbing.
It would be exaggeration if I was basing it off hearsay. I have seen how my hometown has changed, and had to comfort my elderly parents when their home was broken into by thieves looking for things to steal to buy drugs. I fear for them, and this is nothing like the neighbourhood I grew up in. I was in utter shock when saw what drug addiction is doing to my former home, and it's heartbreaking.

Good for you if it hasn't touched your family. I hope it never does. I support Singapore's tough drug laws 100%.

As for your other comments, read through the rest of this thread if you wish, as I have addressed them already, as have others.
It is the illegality of drugs that creates the crime. This was well proven by alcohol and prohibition and one large reason that prohibition was repealed.

Addicts who can get the drugs they need without resorting to street dealers don't commit crimes for their drugs. Government distribution of drugs to addicts destroys illicit demand and the criminal organizations behind it.

Again, drugs and drug addiction are a socio-economic problem, not a criminal problem, and when we finally start treating it that way, there will be real change.

PS: Drugs are readily available in Singapore.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 08 May 2023 7:33 am

There will be always people who wants to try and other people who want them to try and sell to them. The government drug supply will not address this part, and only step in once somebody is addicted beyond handling it personally (financially or otherwise). This is a late stage where the damage is already done. So while it may help, would it be enough?

BTW, majority of the activities covered by the penal code are driven by socio-economics, so hard to use it as a main argument to abandon the penalization.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Mon, 08 May 2023 12:50 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 08 May 2023 3:22 am
jalanjalan wrote:
Fri, 05 May 2023 10:32 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Thu, 04 May 2023 9:07 pm

You're doing a great job of exaggeration with "streets and streets of addicts lying in their own waste." And your callous disregard for human life is disturbing.
It would be exaggeration if I was basing it off hearsay. I have seen how my hometown has changed, and had to comfort my elderly parents when their home was broken into by thieves looking for things to steal to buy drugs. I fear for them, and this is nothing like the neighbourhood I grew up in. I was in utter shock when saw what drug addiction is doing to my former home, and it's heartbreaking.

Good for you if it hasn't touched your family. I hope it never does. I support Singapore's tough drug laws 100%.

As for your other comments, read through the rest of this thread if you wish, as I have addressed them already, as have others.
It is the illegality of drugs that creates the crime. This was well proven by alcohol and prohibition and one large reason that prohibition was repealed.

Addicts who can get the drugs they need without resorting to street dealers don't commit crimes for their drugs. Government distribution of drugs to addicts destroys illicit demand and the criminal organizations behind it.

Again, drugs and drug addiction are a socio-economic problem, not a criminal problem, and when we finally start treating it that way, there will be real change.

PS: Drugs are readily available in Singapore.
I was referring to the situation in Canada. Cannabis is legal. Many other drugs are readily available and they have things like "safe injection sites". It hasn't stopped the drug related crime. This is what we heard from the RCMP who investigated the case.

If you still don't believe it, take a stroll down Hastings St in Vancouver:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... ide-crime/

And Chinatown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUf1WaiZbvc
I used to visit there on holiday as a kid and was there in the early 2000s for work. It was safe, pretty tidy and orderly, just a cool tourist attraction, with normal people shopping. Look at it now.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 08 May 2023 2:44 pm

Vancouver's Supervised Injection Facility (SIF) program has generally been a huge failure. This film shows how bad things are: https://youtu.be/PT8OU8Yhs_s

But don't confuse this with legalization of marijuana. There's been very little crime resulting from that.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 May 2023 5:02 pm

Nobody is confusing it.

Poke---> You are just constantly trying to separate it because you already admitted you are/were a pothead in addition to being a troll.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 08 May 2023 5:08 pm

The content of the links in the post above mine - violent crime, homeless people living in tents - have nothing to do with the legalisation of cannabis. Please feel free to make a constructive contribution to the discussion.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 May 2023 5:42 pm

Plain and simple. It shouldn't be legalized. Full Stop. It does more harm than good. I'm all for banning tobacco and I smoked for 37 years but finally figured I was only fooling myself. Been smoke free 19 years now. However I don't intend to flog a dead horse and stupid is as stupid does. And they are usually the ones tilting at the windmills.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 08 May 2023 5:52 pm

And you're welcome to your opinion. Just be aware of the damage pot does and doesn't do. Far less harmful than tobacco, alcohol and most other drugs. That's why so many countries are legalising it now.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 May 2023 6:31 pm

tiktok wrote:
Mon, 08 May 2023 5:52 pm
That's why so many countries are legalising it now.
No, they are legalizing it because of all the idiots who don't know shit from shinola and think they are brilliant when they are nothing but a bunch of mindless lemmings being led around by their noses. They can't even figure out their genders let enough if 'shit' is goodl for you or not. And no, prohibition wasn't stopped because it was good or bad. It was stopped as legalizing it was a tax moneymaker just like tobacco. And the will be the only reason weed will be legalized as well. Tax dollars, not whether it's good or bad for you. Just like tobacco & alcohol. If a lot of mindless idiots are going to do it anyway, then governments are going to get their cut. Just like always.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 12 May 2023 11:28 am

This would be of great interest to many Singaporeans, but they'll never read about it in ST/CNA.

https://kenjeyaretnam.com/2023/05/12/ho ... e-a-guide/

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 12 May 2023 1:14 pm

I mentioned before that I really don’t watch the news anymore, that normally includes speeches by world leaders.

However, I made an exception for this one… I have watched and rewatched it at least dozen times.

https://youtu.be/iz19y9a9bsQ
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Sat, 13 May 2023 11:27 am

tiktok wrote:
Fri, 12 May 2023 11:28 am
This would be of great interest to many Singaporeans, but they'll never read about it in ST/CNA.

https://kenjeyaretnam.com/2023/05/12/ho ... e-a-guide/
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... la-3485161

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... procedures

Incidentally, anyone can bid on SLA properties, and the amounts of the winning bid are in their website, 6mos back. The atas bungalows are going for about 30k/mo. There are less atas ones for 6-8k.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Sat, 13 May 2023 1:53 pm

The press was silent on the issue for a week, but report on it a few hours after the SLA makes a statement. Does this mean the SLA watches social media more closely than the media? Or the government is orchestrating the whole show?

In any case, we still don't know what the properties are rented for. We also don't know if there was an open bidding process. Nor do we know the guide rent. None of this information is available on the SLA site. At least CNA is making a show of trying to find out the guide rent.

Most telling is this part of the SLA statement:
"Shanmugam notified a senior Cabinet colleague that he was making a bid for the property."

This seems like a weak attempt to deny any conflict of interest by the head of the SLA. But if it was truly an arm's length transaction, SLA would have no idea who he told about his bid. In any case the colleague could well have been Vivian who rented another SLA property a few months later.

Then there's this:
"His offer, made through an agent, was higher than the Guide Rent, which was not disclosed to him."
The head of the SLA would certainly have access to that information.

Lastly
"More details on this issue will be provided during the next Parliamentary session in July 2023"
Who even wrote this? Is SLA responsible for parliamentary agenda?

The mainstream press seems to have missed all these points.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 May 2023 3:10 pm

Please go crawl back under your rock. You are using up valuable oxygen. #-o ](*,) :roll:

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Sat, 13 May 2023 3:15 pm

Your response to potential government corruption is to insult the person who tells you? Ok then.