Singapore Expats

Stupid news articles

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Stupid news articles

Post by tiktok » Wed, 24 May 2023 2:01 pm

Either they violated the code of conduct or they didn't - it's up to them to prove it.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 May 2023 9:19 pm

Hell, I lived in Black & Whites for 16 years rented via ballot from SLA the same way. Nothing secret about it. This was from 1982 to 1999 when I bought my current residence.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 24 May 2023 10:40 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Tue, 23 May 2023 11:07 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 23 May 2023 4:48 pm
Actually, upon reading a little deeper into the issue, I believe the problem some members of the public have isn't about whether or not the properties were rented legally, but more about how the ministers are able to afford them at all if they're supposed to be making the salaries of public servants, and on the same note, why they would choose these properties if they are supposed to be living among the people.
Most comments just sound like green-eyed envy to me. :mrgreen:
Ridout is next to HDB actually - I used to live across the street from that cute McDonalds tea garden.
I believe that is what contributes to a lot of the publics anger. They live right next to HDBs, where people are living in shoeboxes, while they live minutes away in mansions on plots of land large enough to be re-developed into a whole block of units.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 24 May 2023 10:42 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:55 am
Can't really blame people for being jealous - those properties are massive and the rents could be very sweet.

The more serious allegation is they have broken the Code of Conduct for Ministers, specifically:
A Minister must scrupulously avoid any actual or apparent conflict of interest between his office and his private financial interests. Such a conflict, or a perception of conflict, can arise
(a) from the exercise of powers or influence in a way that benefits or may be seen to benefit private interests held; or
(b) from using special knowledge acquired in the course of his activities as Minister to bring benefit or avoid loss (or could arouse reasonable suspicion of this) in relation to his private financial interests.
Bearing in mind one of them oversees the SLA and certainly "could arouse suspicion" of "using special knowledge acquired in the course of his activities as Minister to bring benefit".
Well, Shanmugaratnam has claimed he has nothing to hide and called for an independent investigation, though I'm not sure how objective that'll be. At any rate, it's probably the best he can do to prove his innocence.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 24 May 2023 10:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 9:19 pm
Hell, I lived in Black & Whites for 16 years rented via ballot from SLA the same way. Nothing secret about it. This was from 1982 to 1999 when I bought my current residence.
One of my friends stays in a black and white by the old changi hospital. It's nothing like the ones along Ridout road.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 24 May 2023 10:45 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 1:44 pm
tiktok wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:55 am
Can't really blame people for being jealous - those properties are massive and the rents could be very sweet.

The more serious allegation is they have broken the Code of Conduct for Ministers, specifically:
A Minister must scrupulously avoid any actual or apparent conflict of interest between his office and his private financial interests. Such a conflict, or a perception of conflict, can arise
(a) from the exercise of powers or influence in a way that benefits or may be seen to benefit private interests held; or
(b) from using special knowledge acquired in the course of his activities as Minister to bring benefit or avoid loss (or could arouse reasonable suspicion of this) in relation to his private financial interests.
Bearing in mind one of them oversees the SLA and certainly "could arouse suspicion" of "using special knowledge acquired in the course of his activities as Minister to bring benefit".
Hmm, people with long standing gripes alleging things, when an election is coming up. I'll make popcorn and watch a little before I grab my virtual torch and pitchfork.

And, no, jealousy is no reason for a public tantrum. Anyone can bid to rent these places. There are even term limits to how long any individual can rent so more people can get a chance. This isn't any secret insider club - it was all over the news with the Chip Bee rentals years ago.
Speaking of the Chip Bee rentals, I am in the Holland area quite often as I go to the gym there. I always noticed the beautiful houses along the small roads like Puteh Jerneh and Hitam Manis but it never struck me that these were public properties until recently when I went on the SLA website and found that they were up for lease. Don't know how I never made the connection before.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 24 May 2023 10:46 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 2:01 pm
Either they violated the code of conduct or they didn't - it's up to them to prove it.
I trust that they will in good time. A scandal like this could be very damaging if not addressed quickly.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 25 May 2023 7:40 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:42 pm
Well, Shanmugaratnam has claimed he has nothing to hide and called for an independent investigation, though I'm not sure how objective that'll be. At any rate, it's probably the best he can do to prove his innocence.
Maybe he's not innocent. Even if he is, the optics are terrible. What he should have done immediately is disclose the rent he's paying, and say who paid and approved for the improvements done to the property after he moved in.

The "independent investigation" is being conducted by a PAP minister so we all know what the outcome will be.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Thu, 25 May 2023 10:44 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:40 pm
I believe that is what contributes to a lot of the publics anger. They live right next to HDBs, where people are living in shoeboxes, while they live minutes away in mansions on plots of land large enough to be re-developed into a whole block of units.
Well, that really comes down to personal aspirations, and family situation. I rented in an old HDB estate nearby, and yes the flat is small, but it was perfect for me and my husband. I grew up in a house with a big yard, and (especially as I grow older) I wouldn't want to live in one again. Apart from the upkeep, I find it lonely and spooky. I like having people around, and being across the street from the amenities I need. I've been living in my current HDB for 25 years, and I don't feel angry at all if others want a big house. It's up to them and their life goals.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Thu, 25 May 2023 10:49 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:45 pm
Speaking of the Chip Bee rentals, I am in the Holland area quite often as I go to the gym there. I always noticed the beautiful houses along the small roads like Puteh Jerneh and Hitam Manis but it never struck me that these were public properties until recently when I went on the SLA website and found that they were up for lease. Don't know how I never made the connection before.
I remember those. Peeking inside the window of a vacant one, it needed a lot of interior reno. This was nearly 30 years ago though, maybe they are nicer now.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 25 May 2023 6:19 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 10:49 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:45 pm
I remember those. Peeking inside the window of a vacant one, it needed a lot of interior reno. This was nearly 30 years ago though, maybe they are nicer now.
The photos on the site look not bad, but what really caught my eye was that some of them have floor to ceiling ceiling windows on the upper level, making the house look like somewhat of a glass house. I was able to peek in to one of these units and saw that the resident had created a workstation there, must be really nice.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 25 May 2023 6:24 pm

jalanjalan wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 10:44 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:40 pm
Well, that really comes down to personal aspirations, and family situation. I rented in an old HDB estate nearby, and yes the flat is small, but it was perfect for me and my husband. I grew up in a house with a big yard, and (especially as I grow older) I wouldn't want to live in one again. Apart from the upkeep, I find it lonely and spooky. I like having people around, and being across the street from the amenities I need. I've been living in my current HDB for 25 years, and I don't feel angry at all if others want a big house. It's up to them and their life goals.
Agree that feelings and sentiments will change based on one's personal preferences and aspirations. You can't be jealous of something that you don't want.

That being said, I believe you've missed my point. If our government is supposed to be filled with commoners like us, then why aren't they living like us? 7000 ft.² is already about seven times the size of a average home in the country, but 70,000? That's crazy.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 25 May 2023 6:25 pm

tiktok wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 7:40 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 24 May 2023 10:42 pm
Maybe he's not innocent. Even if he is, the optics are terrible. What he should have done immediately is disclose the rent he's paying, and say who paid and approved for the improvements done to the property after he moved in.

The "independent investigation" is being conducted by a PAP minister so we all know what the outcome will be.
I agree that it looks pretty awful. How do you know that the investigation is being conducted by a fellow minister?

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 25 May 2023 7:36 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 6:25 pm
I agree that it looks pretty awful. How do you know that the investigation is being conducted by a fellow minister?
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... ies-pm-lee

The review will be conducted by Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean. Calling it an "independent review" is as laughable as saying Ho Ching got her job through meritocracy alone.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 25 May 2023 8:47 pm

tiktok wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 7:36 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 25 May 2023 6:25 pm
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... ies-pm-lee

The review will be conducted by Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean. Calling it an "independent review" is as laughable as saying Ho Ching got her job through meritocracy alone.
Oh, then in that case I agree with you. An independent investigation conducted by those from the same party carries absolutely no credibility.