Singapore Expats

Stupid news articles

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Stupid news articles

Post by tiktok » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 11:37 am

I see you use the age old tactic, beloved by authoritative regimes: portray your opponents as insane/incompetent/eccentric rather than engage in serious debate.

The opposition parties have a lot of ideas, but you won't read about them in the press - ST/CNA for obvious reasons and foreign press because it's a domestic issue.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:30 pm

Parliament sittings are streamed. I watch them often, and many ideas are aired and discussed from all MPs across the 3 parties who have representatives in the House. So what country are you referring to?

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:53 pm

Fair point. Yes there are debates in parliament if you're lucky to have time to watch them. But you won't find fair and balanced reports about these debates in any press.

My point is even if opposition parties have good platforms, it's very hard for them to be heard and taken seriously due to the stranglehold the PAP places on the media.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 6:28 pm

Anybody who gives a shit does watch them. That's why they are televised, so as to offset those armchair wannabe's who sit in a darkened room tilting at any windmill that is turning.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 8:11 pm

tiktok wrote:
Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:53 pm
My point is even if opposition parties have good platforms, it's very hard for them to be heard and taken seriously due to the stranglehold the PAP places on the media.
they need a good social media person that can edit video clips and is in tune with the relevant “heart truth” topics.

with some snazzy editing, a modest campaign to get it eyeballs on ig and tt - the older singaporeans will spread the vids amongst themselves (their pap vote not withstanding) and eventually to the next generations.

the effect will be felt when the younger generation goes to the polling booth.

but i suspect the opposition is still quite old school and not in tune with what works? idk. i’m old school myself.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Wed, 07 Jun 2023 9:40 pm

That's a good idea, but I believe might count as campaigning, which is only allowed for a ridiculously short time, just after the electoral districts have been redrawn per the PAP's wishes.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Thu, 08 Jun 2023 12:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 07 Jun 2023 6:28 pm
Anybody who gives a shit does watch them. That's why they are televised, so as to offset those armchair wannabe's who sit in a darkened room tilting at any windmill that is turning.
I just run the youtube stream and listen like a podcast while I'm doing other things. There's a lot of dry bread and butter issues that are covered too, which never get picked up by the news. I also like to see how my MP performs, gotta make sure he's earning his pay :)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 08 Jun 2023 3:52 pm

If I were a citizen, the #1 issue for me would be housing reform. I know it’s sensitive and comes with societal risks, but I believe deregulation could bring more benefit than harm to society.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Thu, 13 Jul 2023 9:09 am

If you ask me whether opposition parties are able to find people within their ranks that are capable enough to take up all the ministerial positions, I would say no. If in the highly unlikely event they ever form the government, they would probably need to look to PAP to fill the gap, if that is possible.

PAP have many ideas, or did their proposals come from the huge pool of civil servants? Not to forget, PAP MP sits in government parliamentary councils, where they are briefed on issues by subject experts. They are being groomed after all, unlike opposition candidates.

PAP has mostly done a decent job. I don't feel that they are in any serious danger, though vote share will likely drop due to inflation, housing and transport issues. Ridout doesn't help. Declining readership for TST and the switch to social media news also makes it harder.

They key thing for them now is to solve the many issues and stop scoring own goals.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Thu, 13 Jul 2023 10:56 am

I randomly came across this which is actually quite informative and nicely done: https://www.straitstimes.com/multimedia ... html?shell

Then I noticed they have a comment section at the bottom. Which raises the question why they don't allow comments on "serious" articles? I would love to comment on this piece of shit: https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/ri ... n-the-room

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 14 Jul 2023 3:39 pm

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... on-3602926

Just because the PAP keeps saying "independent review" doesn't make it true. How pathetic.

The only way to settle the public's doubts is a commission of inquiry.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2023 6:05 pm

Kinda of like your signature block then, right? :-k :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 14 Jul 2023 6:49 pm

I'm starting to wonder if you even know what "troll" means.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Fri, 29 Sep 2023 8:55 am

Breaking!

41yo married man says he’s attracted to 27yo woman

https://theindependent.sg/41yo-married- ... 7yo-woman/

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Sep 2023 6:30 pm

tiktok wrote:
Fri, 29 Sep 2023 8:55 am
Breaking!

41yo married man says he’s attracted to 27yo woman

https://theindependent.sg/41yo-married- ... 7yo-woman/
Sounds like the typical white male expat to me. LOL